HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Spiral in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 12:22 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

KPF did Pingan which has a roof in the 1800ft range, and pretty much everyone has said would be a good fit for NY.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 12:28 AM
DENNAB

I'd much rather have a Chow Tai Fook or SWFC than a PingAn...

Or better yet, come up with something original and not copy something from China

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertallchaser View Post
lets get stern on it and get a 1,800ft limestone monolith haha
I firmly believe that Robert A.M. Stern should design all buildings!

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I'd much rather have a Chow Tai Fook or SWFC than a PingAn...

Or better yet, come up with something original and not copy something from China
Forgot about that! It doesn't look like their other buildings, easy to forget about. But I still think they would do well with one in NYC. That's their home turf after all. Although I'm starting to think Adrian Smith would be the best choice here. They still haven't done almost anything in New York and have a wealth of experience with 1,500+ footers.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 3:59 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
SOM also designed Manhattan West . $$$ will be a major factor so...I expect simple shape. Pelli would be a good 'conservative' design choice as well.
I doubt it would be Pelli though, but cost is a factor of sorts:

Quote:
Tishman Speyer Buys Manhattan Site for $438 Million
That price dictates something that will make money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
KPF did Pingan which has a roof in the 1800ft range, and pretty much everyone has said would be a good fit for NY.

KPF also did the earlier Hudson Yards proposal. But beyond that, I don't want another 1 Bryant Park (BofA) or 1 Vanderbilt clone. Not to mention we need more variety designing the tallest towers of the Hudson Yards.

Some other KPF designs...
http://kpf.com/project.asp?T=14&ID=138

Some less inspiring designs from KPF...

But even a simple design can turn out nice...

http://1st-architecture.blogspot.com...korea-kpf.html

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 4:03 AM
BANNED

^#3 is gorgeous

What's the name of it?

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 4:06 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
^#3 is gorgeous

What's the name of it?
You mean this?

http://kpf.com/project.asp?T=14&ID=258

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 4:06 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
^#3 is gorgeous

What's the name of it?
Its the Chow Tai Fook Centre.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 4:14 AM
New Yorker for life

That's horrible.

Here's another design of similar size. I haven't followed these developments, so I don't know what's accurate and what isn't. And of course, this is all fun and games since we don't really know who will design the tower.

http://www.skyscrapercenter.com/tian...ai-center/310/

Quote:
Height: Architectural 530.0 meter / 1739 feet
Height: Occupied 452.3 meter / 1484 feet
Height: To Tip 530.0 meter / 1739 feet
Development GFA 252,144 m² / 2,714,055 ft²
• Design Skidmore Owings & Merrill

http://www.som.com/projects/tianjin_ctf_finance_centre

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 4:23 AM
DENNAB

This building will have slightly more SF than the Chow Tai Fook Tianjin so I could easily see a 1450+ foot occupied building.

Exciting stuff

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 4:50 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
This building will have slightly more SF than the Chow Tai Fook Tianjin so I could easily see a 1450+ foot occupied building.

Exciting stuff

It's still all a matter of design, and what mix of space gets built. Regardless of whatever mx, they will need a major tenant for the office space. That could have an effect on the exact configuration of the amount of office space vs. any other space.

Quote:
The assemblage, along with the ability to purchase additional development rights that are available to Hudson Yards district developers, offers Tishman Speyer the rare opportunity to develop and construct a 2.85 million square foot tower in the heart of Manhattan's expanded west side neighborhood and business district. While the new development could include a wide range of uses, the site's location and configuration are ideally suited to support a mix of offices and street-level retail.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if some residential or hotel space was thrown in.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 4:55 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It's still all a matter of design, and what mix of space gets built. Regardless of whatever mx, they will need a major tenant for the office space. That could have an effect on the exact configuration of the amount of office space vs. any other space.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if some residential or hotel space was thrown in.
Would that be included in the 2.85msf or extra? If it were extra this thing is going to be just huge.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 4:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Its the Chow Tai Fook Centre.
Yeah that one, thanks guys. I'm not familiar with buildings going up in China.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 6:17 AM

I'm thinking of something that ends in a point, and maybe goes past 1,800 feet architecturally. Then it could get that soaring effect.

http://www.hqtravel.net/middleeast/d...khalifa-8.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_Tower

http://hdwallpapervault.com/kingdom-tower-2016.html

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 5:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
I'm thinking of something that ends in a point, and maybe goes past 1,800 feet architecturally. Then it could get that soaring effect.

I really believe that whatever the design, it's going to be a significant difference in height from Related's north tower. That would put it in the realm of the Nordstrom tower. Will they push it higher than the Freedom Tower in height? Who knows. If it were in reach, I would do it.

http://chelseanow.com/2014/05/tishma...r-438-million/

Tishman Speyer Snaps up ‘Spire’ Site for $438 Million

The corner of 10th Ave. & W. 34th St. could see the construction of America’s tallest office tower, which would sit just north of the Hudson Yards project (whose cranes are visible at left).

by Scott Stiffler
May 1, 2014

Quote:
After a $438 million deal that reportedly closed on April 29, the tallest office building on the far West Side (potentially the tallest in the nation) could soon be built not by Related Companies or Brookfield Properties ― two of the area’s current biggest stakeholders ― but by another major developer who’s decided to get in on the action.

Tishman Speyer’s purchase of the two adjacent 10th Avenue lots now gives the developer control of the entire block between West 34th and West 35th Streets. In an April 30 release, Tishman said it also hopes to purchase additional development rights in order to construct a massive 2.85 million-square-foot office tower, which it added would likely also include street-level retail.

One of those lots, at 435 10th Avenue, was sold to Tishman by the real estate firm Massel Knakal, which had, since January, prominently marketed the undeveloped lot as the future site of “Hudson Spire,” an imagined tower that could rise to 1,800 feet ― slightly taller than One World Trade Center, currently the nation’s tallest building.

No construction permits for the site have yet been filed, and the developer has not released any further details about the planned height or design of the tower. Tishman’s co-CEO Rob Speyer told the Wall Street Journal on April 29 that he and his firm will not start construction until finding a major tenant to anchor the building.

Tishman’s tower would sit just north of Related’s 26-acre, $15 billion Hudson Yards megaproject, which, when completed, will cover a swath bounded by West 30th and West 33rd Streets, and Tenth and Twelfth Avenues. Related’s first office tower, the 1.7 million-square-foot 10 Hudson Yards (which will rise to 895 feet), is still on track to open next year.

Notably, Tishman was the first developer to make a deal with the Metropolitan Transit Authority on that Hudson Yards site back in 2008, but the deal went south ― reportedly affected by the financial crisis that began that year ― before Related eventually swooped in to secure the project. This is the first time Tishman has committed to a development site in the area since then.

The future 10th Avenue tower would also sit north of Brookfield’s $4.5 billion Manhattan West project, another mixed-use development that, just east of Hudson Yards, will span between West 31st and West 33rd Streets, from Ninth Avenue to 10th Avenue. Brookfield has said it hopes to construct and open a new 60-story office tower within that site by 2016, and is currently undertaking major renovations at the 44-year-old building at 450 West 33rd Street, which are also planned to be completed by 2016.

In other news, Brookfield also announced on April 29 that it has received City Council approval for a zoning change that will allow the developer to move forward with plans to double the size of the open space within the Manhattan West project. The development’s green space and plazas — which will snake between the project’s two office buildings, hotel and residential tower — can now officially be bumped up to two acres, after the original proposal called for just one acre.

Given all of the dense commercial development already underway in the area, the Council apparently had no qualms about boosting the size the of Brookfield’s park sliver. “These new changes will make this a better project with more open space and amenities that the entire community can enjoy,” said Councilmember David Greenfield, who chairs the Council’s Committee on Land Use, in an April 29 statement released with Brookfield’s announcement. “This is exactly the kind of economic development that we need in the city. A project that creates jobs, builds a beautiful neighborhood and improves neighboring communities.”

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 8:09 PM

Quote:
I really believe that whatever the design, it's going to be a significant difference in height from Related's north tower. That would put it in the realm of the Nordstrom tower. Will they push it higher than the Freedom Tower in height? Who knows. If it were in reach, I would do it.
Yeah, I would put it north of Nordstrom Tower in roof height (even if it comes to a point). I guess its still up for debate if they want to take it that tall. I could very much see it happening in that location, it just depends how all the other projects shake out. This one may be a little further down the line. Related has a legion of towers being built. And then there's Manhattan West and the Girasole. As much as I love this entirely new neighborhood going up in Hudson Yards, the WTC really should have been finished before any of this got started. An unfished WTC now blights lower Manhattan, while an entirely new business district is rising off the Hudson River unbenounced to most of the world.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 8:20 PM
BANNED

please let new york city go further
i would like to see that building will be a megatall with the roof height is +1800 ft and with spire will be +2150 ft in comparison with others megatall
i think that it's nice place for megatall!!!
i wish that the end of world trade center domination comes with build a megatall hudson spire!!

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 8:26 PM

I like that design.

Quote:
Does zoning for Hudson Spire allow mix use office/residential tower?

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 11:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc15 View Post
please let new york city go further
i would like to see that building will be a megatall with the roof height is +1800 ft and with spire will be +2150 ft
Hey, why not 5,000 ft! Realisticly though, let's keep this tower where it is, a potential supertall that could be taller the New York's other supertalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
As much as I love this entirely new neighborhood going up in Hudson Yards, the WTC really should have been finished before any of this got started. An unfished WTC now blights lower Manhattan, while an entirely new business district is rising off the Hudson River unbenounced to most of the world.
That's just the thing. You can not force feed tenants into lower Manhattan. Not everyone wants to be down there, and not everyone will move down there, no matter what the rent is. If the WTC was on the west side, I could see that point. But trying to freeze office development in the city until the WTC is completed would only lead to tenants extending existing leases and waiting it out. There are lots of developers in the city, lots of potential landlords. Silverstein has as much a chance at landing a tenant as anyone else, but his towers are in a different location. Goldman Sachs could have leased one of his WTC towers, but they wanted their own. Had the city blocked it, they could have just reverted to earlier plans, and built a new headquarters in Jersey City.

Beyond that, despite the available space, the WTC is limited in the grand scheme of Manhattan office space. Take Related's towers for example. Time Warner basically got the north tower, no other signature tenant will look at it as prime headquarters space because TW already got the best floors (the higher floors tend to be smaller and more expensive). So the city needs to be realistic, and have multiple options. Then you have the category of tenants. Law Firms, for example, won't likely be the firms leading the charge to the new WTC . Yet, as a group, they are one of the largest users of office space in Manhattan.

The WTC is Downtown, and it will just take longer to fill the space. We learned that at least from the original complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
Does zoning for Hudson Spire allow mix use office/residential tower?
Zoning does allow a mix use of space, but the site is primarily zoned for commercial space. That includes hotel space, and Tishman could always request more residential (currently I think its at about 400,000 sf, which is sufficient in itself).

As shown below, we can see that the site sits in the midst of active leasing in the Hudson Yards (see 3 Hudson, Manhattan West, etc.) Tishman Speyer probably doesn't have any finalized plans for what it will build at this time, other than that it will have a lot of office space. Look for more to be revealed in the future, as they won't build without a tenant. To get a tenant, you have to have at least some plans.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 11:46 PM
DENNAB

I don't know if I would actually want something much higher than 1800 feet with a spire. The Burj looks weird on Dubai's skyline and something that size would look weird here too. I like that building but it isn't NYC.

I would actually prefer a 1450-1600 foot building very well designed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive