HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 9:51 PM

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 11:40 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Read a story a few days ago that said the Westgate Transit Center is now open. Haven't ventured over there to see it yet.

I'm itching for them to finish up this phase of I35 between Wm Cannon and Stassney. It's got to be soon. They'll be doing some paving soon, I think. And they're finishing up the walls under the Wm Cannon bridge. Next will be demolishing the Stassney bridge and replacing it.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Read a story a few days ago that said the Westgate Transit Center is now open. Haven't ventured over there to see it yet.

I'm itching for them to finish up this phase of I35 between Wm Cannon and Stassney. It's got to be soon. They'll be doing some paving soon, I think. And they're finishing up the walls under the Wm Cannon bridge. Next will be demolishing the Stassney bridge and replacing it.
I drive by it almost every day; it looks really nice. I don't know how they are keeping the homeless out of it, because there are tons on either side of it, but somehow not in the transit center itself (though I'm sure they pass through, and I'd be worried about leaving my car there.)

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 1:08 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
I drive by it almost every day; it looks really nice. I don't know how they are keeping the homeless out of it, because there are tons on either side of it, but somehow not in the transit center itself (though I'm sure they pass through, and I'd be worried about leaving my car there.)
If it's owned by Capital Metro now, does that mean it's private property? Or is it still public CoA property? If not, that may explain why no homeless are there.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 2:07 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

They have security that either stay around or go through there regularly.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
If it's owned by Capital Metro now, does that mean it's private property? Or is it still public CoA property? If not, that may explain why no homeless are there.
Most of the overpasses are TxDot property.

This story may also be partially relevant.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/lo...a-ecfa3e41c6cb

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Re: CVCs — are they waivable in certain cases? Obviously they haven’t been before but could the city or the state or another org make a CVC exception?
We would need a waiver by the State Ledg in 2021. They could refuse as a way to keep money from being spent on anything non roads. The thing is that it would be cheaper to do elevated than anything underground.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Re: CVCs — are they waivable in certain cases? Obviously they haven’t been before but could the city or the state or another org make a CVC exception?
I know they waived one for Royal Stadium.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 4:36 PM

This northbound section of the 183 South project already has lane markers for the toll road. Maybe the section is opening soon?
https://public.earthcam.net/ctrma/18...la_lane/view_3

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 6:18 PM

Big News, The Mopac South project is getting unfrozen. Public Meetings start back up early next year. It would add 2-4 toll lanes as well as a bunch of good mobility entrance/exit improvements to mopac from the bridge to William Cannon. Stuff like a ramp from the frontage road to the leftmost mopac south lane for people wanting to exit to 360.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 6:25 PM

Signs on Red River indicate the lane shift begins 7/27

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Big News, The Mopac South project is getting unfrozen. Public Meetings start back up early next year. It would add 2-4 toll lanes as well as a bunch of good mobility entrance/exit improvements to mopac from the bridge to William Cannon. Stuff like a ramp from the frontage road to the leftmost mopac south lane for people wanting to exit to 360.

oood stuff. Do you happen to have a link to that image? I can't tell what I'm lookin at.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post

Early next year?!

Why does everything take so friggin long in this city? It's not even August for Christ's sake!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 11:19 PM

That overpass from the SB Frontage Rd. to 360 SB is really innovative. I'd like to see a lot of tweaks like this on all of South Mopac, not just express lane related improvements but improvements to all modes of travel.

I'd also like them to build it as fast as they built SH 45 SW, but you can't get everything.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith_atx View Post
This northbound section of the 183 South project already has lane markers for the toll road. Maybe the section is opening soon?
https://public.earthcam.net/ctrma/18...la_lane/view_3
Yup! North end of the project from 290 to Techni Center Drive is opening 8/1. Meeting their deadline to the exact day if you can believe that.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
That overpass from the SB Frontage Rd. to 360 SB is really innovative. I'd like to see a lot of tweaks like this on all of South Mopac, not just express lane related improvements but improvements to all modes of travel.

I'd also like them to build it as fast as they built SH 45 SW, but you can't get everything.
There are a lot of really good improvements. My favorite option of the 5 they are looking at is the 4 toll lanes with elevated connections to downtown as oppose to the direct connector. You can see the huge improvement to the bridge over the Colorado:

Click to Enlarge:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanatx View Post
Yup! North end of the project from 290 to Techni Center Drive is opening 8/1. Meeting their deadline to the exact day if you can believe that.
CTRMA has leaned a lot since the Mopac North toll lane debacle and it shows with 45 SW and 183 South. They've changed the type of data they require from contractors and have moved to an incentive based system instead of only punitive. They also voted last month to move up the finish date on the 130/290 direct ramps by SIX MONTHS.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 7:21 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I'm going to be the guy to say this is going to destroy the beauty along Mopac south of the river. One of our most scenic areas of the city. The way they designed the north half looks like it's out of Phoenix, nasty desert colors. If they are going to do this (which obviously they are) they need to keep to blending in with the surrounding environment. I'm sorry but I would rather force people to move if they don't like their commutes than to destroy such a scenic area. Build it right and in the taste of Austin or don't bother building at all.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I'm going to be the guy to say this is going to destroy the beauty along Mopac south of the river. One of our most scenic areas of the city. The way they designed the north half looks like it's out of Phoenix, nasty desert colors. If they are going to do this (which obviously they are) they need to keep to blending in with the surrounding environment. I'm sorry but I would rather force people to move if they don't like their commutes than to destroy such a scenic area. Build it right and in the taste of Austin or don't bother building at all.
The only scenic point of Mopac is going to preserved. All the toll lanes will run on one side of the wooded area by Westlake mall.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 8:51 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I'm not sure I follow. Do they have renderings with colors? This image, in my understanding, is color coded to show the various sections, not the colors that they will be after construction is completed.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 11:00 PM

Work on the Parlmer overpass at I-35 is starting today. The project will add a SB bypass plane under the intersection and convert the intersection to a diverging diamond.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin