HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 6:21 PM

It's nice to see the tower crane now working consistently into the dark hours of the evening. Steel installation is now going full tilt without hesitation. This project is finally flying!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Looks like the big restaurant space just got its main structural steel put up, meaning the only thing left to do is to enclose the podium I believe. Can't wait for that space to be finished. Should look rather spectacular.
Reminds me of how big this project really is.

https://youtu.be/ifT3ERqpH6E

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 6:38 PM

Cam stills:

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Oct 31, 2019 at 4:44 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Reminds me of how big this project really is.

https://youtu.be/ifT3ERqpH6E
Really cool video! Though the renderings of 300 main sure do make the sea of parking lots and grey concrete east of Main Street look much more vibrant than it is though. Maybe in 500 years...

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 6:51 PM

The escalator the mall is so poorly thought out it’s crazy. Blocks the whole flow, you gotta walk around, and the bottom is reaaallyyy close to the shop entrances. They put up caution tape and watch your head signs, guess people were walking into it. Gonna have to block off some space under it which will makes it even more awkward.

You gotta think there should have been some fairly simple way to configure the main floor of 330 so the escalator could go along the flow of the mall.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 6:55 PM

^ I walked by there today thinking that a lot of people looking at their phones are going to bump into the escalators unless some kind of barrier is placed there... something more permanent, hopefully, than the tape and pylons they put up there.

Yes, the design is really awkward... I wonder why they did it that way?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I walked by there today thinking that a lot of people looking at their phones are going to bump into the escalators unless some kind of barrier is placed there...
I'd love to see that...

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 11:23 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Looks like the big restaurant space just got its main structural steel put up, meaning the only thing left to do is to enclose the podium I believe. Can't wait for that space to be finished. Should look rather spectacular.

Is the new Earl's going to be where Chamberlains was or in another space?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 11:25 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
^ I walked by there today thinking that a lot of people looking at their phones are going to bump into the escalators unless some kind of barrier is placed there... something more permanent, hopefully, than the tape and pylons they put up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I'd love to see that...

Went there yesterday after seeing the post here.

Yeah, maybe put a mall tree or two or that yellow tape so that cell phone zombies don't bump into it. I don't understand why the escalators weren't oriented the 90 deg. the other way and have a walkway into 330 Main. That's how I've always envisioned it.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 11:33 PM

I think Earl's is going main floor at graham and main, where the pergola looking thing is.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 12:03 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

With the continuing placement of the pre-cast concrete floors and delta beams, I'm assuming they're wanting to finish these portions before the core is poured and raised, which in turn, would help raise the crane after, once it's tethered to the core, right?

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 3:42 AM

Quote:

The one time it pays to be short and you want to block it off.

They are going to place a stainless steel barrier there just like the one behind the other escalator at 360 Main. They just have to figure out how tall is too tall.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 1:53 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
With the continuing placement of the pre-cast concrete floors and delta beams, I'm assuming they're wanting to finish these portions before the core is poured and raised, which in turn, would help raise the crane after, once it's tethered to the core, right?
The crane will be tethered to the outside of the building. That's why it needs to rise a couple more levels.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:04 PM
the first stamp is free

^ Correct. The crane is tethered to the steel frame. Currently the core form cannot move higher until the the concrete pump assembly moves higher. The concrete pump assembly cannot move higher until the cranes gets extended up.

So everything is waiting on the exterior steel frame to go up further, which will allow the crane to get extended.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ Correct. The crane is tethered to the steel frame. Currently the core form cannot move higher until the the concrete pump assembly moves higher. The concrete pump assembly cannot move higher until the cranes gets extended up.

So everything is waiting on the exterior steel frame to go up further, which will allow the crane to get extended.
I wonder how much higher the steel will have to go before this happens?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:51 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^Well it can only go a maximum of 4 more floors above what they are on now before they run into the core forms. So I would say soon.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The escalator the mall is so poorly thought out it’s crazy. Blocks the whole flow, you gotta walk around, and the bottom is reaaallyyy close to the shop entrances. They put up caution tape and watch your head signs, guess people were walking into it. Gonna have to block off some space under it which will makes it even more awkward.

You gotta think there should have been some fairly simple way to configure the main floor of 330 so the escalator could go along the flow of the mall.
Yeah it would have made sense to put the escalator in the Hallmark space.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
Yeah it would have made sense to put the escalator in the Hallmark space.
I'm guessing that once 330 and 300 are completed, that there will be some significant renovations to Winnipeg Square, and that the escalator placement will make more sense once that is done.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 12:39 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The crane will be tethered to the outside of the building. That's why it needs to rise a couple more levels.
Cool, cool.

I'm just eager to see this development rise, and it looks like they're rolling along quite nicely.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 6:14 PM

I wonder what those two large I beams are for on the top floor. I haven't seen anything similar anywhere else.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan