HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Signature Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Nashville Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 4:16 PM

Nashville has the problem of having a thriving midtown which, in many ways, is a more attractive option for urban living than downtown. There are already amenities along West End and 21st Avenue in place that are more attractive to Nashvillians than living amongst the tourist traps of downtown. If I had $500k to plop down on a condo, I might just prefer a place like Adelicia to Encore as well. With that said, the Gulch and all the upcoming SoBro projects could be just what the doctor ordered as far as making downtown a more attractive option to buyers and renters. I've also heard people complain of the homeless people downtown. They are not a problem in the least for me but some people who might consider living downtown are sensitive to that sort of thing and opt for elsewhere.

Tony G. may have overshot with Signature at a time that, in retrospect, wasn't the best. If he had stuck to the second revision at the height around 800 ft. but instead proposed it with the hotel component at the bottom, this baby would certainly be rising. Or perhaps if he waited a few more years for the Gulch to get in full swing and the new convention center to be underway, Siggy would be a more attractive option. In any case, this project is looking more and more like a long shot. A revision may be too costly at this point and that's the only way I see this project getting of the ground anytime soon.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 1:24 PM
Stay Classy Philadelphia

I think this will happen at some point.

Such a great design, it would be a shame if it gets mothballed.

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 5:23 PM
Closed account

Have not checked on this in a while, but I know it will be built.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 4:41 PM
BANNED

Well I'm no expert on real estate and construction and the like, but I really don't understand how people can be so optimistic about this tower thinking it will be built even after all these delays and problems. I am a resident of Nashville, and have been hearing about this tower for quite some time, and all I ever see is more delays and problems etc, and meanwhile several other buildings are going up or have already gone up that I would think have taken away many perspective buyers. Maybe I am just to cynical or something, but I don't see a snowballs chance in hell of this tower being built.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 7:26 PM
Closed account

Um, ok, well, I see your point. However, the current situation that our economy is in has a lot of projects on hold. Does it mean that the projects will not be built? Who knows! I still see the tower being built.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 1:42 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
Well I'm no expert on real estate and construction and the like, but I really don't understand how people can be so optimistic about this tower thinking it will be built even after all these delays and problems. I am a resident of Nashville, and have been hearing about this tower for quite some time, and all I ever see is more delays and problems etc, and meanwhile several other buildings are going up or have already gone up that I would think have taken away many perspective buyers. Maybe I am just to cynical or something, but I don't see a snowballs chance in hell of this tower being built.
It's not like it's uncommon for towers, especially ones of this scale, to hit continuous roadblocks. I can think of quite a few supertalls that were delayed for years before they finally got built.

So this tower may or may not happen, but in my opinion, the fact that it has been delayed a couple times is not really a reason to consider it dead.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 1:56 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
It's not like it's uncommon for towers, especially ones of this scale, to hit continuous roadblocks. I can think of quite a few supertalls that were delayed for years before they finally got built.

So this tower may or may not happen, but in my opinion, the fact that it has been delayed a couple times is not really a reason to consider it dead.
I agree with you 120%

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 5:51 PM

Why do I keep falling for the fact nothing new is happening here. I keep hoping but I'm getting more and more annoyed with the fact this thread keeps growing and I keep getting fooled into believing something new. Well no more. I'm done. I'm Signature Tower free from this point on.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 7:59 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream'n View Post
Why do I keep falling for the fact nothing new is happening here. I keep hoping but I'm getting more and more annoyed with the fact this thread keeps growing and I keep getting fooled into believing something new. Well no more. I'm done. I'm Signature Tower free from this point on.
Um, okay.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 5:21 PM

Tony has decided to cut the number of condos in half, but keep the tower at the same height by adding more hotel Palomar floors, or converting those floors into office space.

I admire Tony's dedication to this project. I really think a thriving economy is what he needs most.

To read more on this change, go to www.tennessean.com

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 9:42 AM
Future God

I just heard about this development myself, and I think it's about time! If this isn't an indication that it will eventually be built, then I don't know what is. Tony G will not let this project die. Period.

Here is a direct link to the article in question:

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...NTPAGECAROUSEL

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 2:45 PM

when i first learned of this project, i thought it was a stretch to build a building with so many expensive condos. however, after meeting with giarratana and some others at his office and given the boom at the time the tower was announced, there was no doubt in my mind it would be built as the 70 story, hotel/condo combination. Unfortunately, i believe giarratana is a victim of timing . Had he started marketing five years ago, this thing would have sold out fairly quickly. Is Nashville ready for this type and size of a tower, maybe not, but Nashville was ready.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 1:12 AM
JoeCooper

Tony is a very smart individual! The decision he made is great all around! He's keeping the height of the building the same yet adding more of what is possibly more in demand. In Nashville hotel and office space are in pretty high demand and pretty safe bets correct me if I'm wrong...

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 2:52 PM

Hotels are definitely in high demand and will probably remain so with the upcoming Music City Center in South Broadway. Office demand is strong but it's going to get tight with the Pinnacle, West End Summit and 1201 Demonbreun. Tony G. is going to have to compete with those projects for business tenants.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 5:18 PM

i could be wrong, but i would guess giarratana needs to land a couple tenants for his office componet to get the financing required. then again, they may have such a good reputation that they can get financing without securing a tenant.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 9:25 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashVYllebeck View Post
Tony has decided to cut the number of condos in half, but keep the tower at the same height by adding more hotel Palomar floors, or converting those floors into office space.

I admire Tony's dedication to this project. I really think a thriving economy is what he needs most.

Cool, good to hear.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 9:53 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashVYllebeck View Post

Good to see this projects is still going.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 11:31 PM

I hope no one gets offended if I YAWN. Send me a picture if it gets built. Oh yea I actually heard about this new wonderful aboration on another website. I needed to post my 2 cents along with everyone else.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 11:36 PM
Squint Like Clint

This is encouraging news! I sure hope this goes on through and gets built, it's one of my favorite new building proposals period.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 11:46 PM
Pacific Wonderland

I find the opposite, this is discouraging. Now he will have to secure an anchor office tenant, get the hotel to agree to expand and sell a bunch of condos. This is a ground up redesign, it will have to go through all the city reviews and approval process again. IF it gets done, it will be well into the next decade.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive