HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 8:16 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Seguin Commerce Center - 545 Acre Development in Seguin

Sprawling developments - they've officially hit Seguin...

Site plan and Renderings:
http://www.lockardonline.com/development_Seguin.php

Quote:
A development alliance hopes to capitalize on some heavy investment under way in a city just east of San Antonio.

NewQuest Properties, Lockard Development and Panattoni Development Co. Inc. have entered into a joint venture to develop roughly 545 acres of land in the city of Seguin. The site is located between FM 78 and Interstate Highway 10 East.

The project will be located on the opposite side of the I-10 freeway from the 1-million-square-foot assembly plant now under construction by Caterpillar Inc. The Peoria, Ill.-based firm announced late last year that it was moving its global assembly, test and paint facilities to Seguin — a move that will create more than 1,400 jobs and generate $169.7 million in capital investment.

Phase one of the Lockard/NewQuest/Panattoni project calls for creating a new Class A industrial park, called the Seguin Commerce Center. The park will encompass roughly 139 acres of land along FM 78, says Don Dennis Jr., senior vice president of Panattoni, which is headquartered in Sacramento.
http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sa...03/story4.html

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 8:51 PM

I was just wondering when something was going to hit Seguin.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 9:40 PM

True.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 3:18 PM

Good news for Seguin . I like how Austin looks like this huge city on that map, it looks bigger than San Antonio, freeway size, come on now, delusions of grandeur I would have to say.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
I was just wondering when something was going to hit Seguin.
Wait til SH 130 is completed, then there will be similar developments on the eastern edge of town. I'm sure they'll be building houses near I-10, FM 78, and along SH 46 to accommodate the influx of jobs, as well, both in Seguin and elsewhere in Guadalupe and Comal counties.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 7:26 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
Good news for Seguin . I like how Austin looks like this huge city on that map, it looks bigger than San Antonio, freeway size, come on now, delusions of grandeur I would have to say.
Are you insane? No, seriously. What's up?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottolini View Post
Are you insane? No, seriously. What's up?
Freeway size in comparsion with San Antonio's, difference is like day and night, but, it looks like a bigger freeway network for some strange reason.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 2:02 AM

Some time's I wish thread starters could mod their threads.

Back to the topic at had please.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Wait til SH 130 is completed, then there will be similar developments on the eastern edge of town. I'm sure they'll be building houses near I-10, FM 78, and along SH 46 to accommodate the influx of jobs, as well, both in Seguin and elsewhere in Guadalupe and Comal counties.
I'm sure this will only help the sprawl and developments between 1604 and Seguin (especially with the slight expansion of 1604 in that area.) The area between 78 and I-10 definitely seems more of a dead zone than the area between 78 and I-35.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 3:36 AM

I wouldn't call it a dead zone, but its definitely more rural in feel. Marion and McQueeney are now what Cibolo was ten years ago.

I'm glad Seguin is finally getting some of the economic boost that has been enjoyed by New Braunfels and the "metrocom" cities. Seems like it has been rather stagnant for awhile, mostly because its a bit farther from the booming areas of SA, and its on I-10 rather than I-35. Now the area seems to be coalescing into more of a region than a group of scattered cities. Even if the infill is mostly what we'd see as sprawling developments, it will attract more business and commerce to the region in the long run.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
I wouldn't call it a dead zone, but its definitely more rural in feel. Marion and McQueeney are now what Cibolo was ten years ago.

I'm glad Seguin is finally getting some of the economic boost that has been enjoyed by New Braunfels and the "metrocom" cities. Seems like it has been rather stagnant for awhile, mostly because its a bit farther from the booming areas of SA, and its on I-10 rather than I-35. Now the area seems to be coalescing into more of a region than a group of scattered cities. Even if the infill is mostly what we'd see as sprawling developments, it will attract more business and commerce to the region in the long run.
I guess what I meant to say, and what we all seem to agree on, is that this will help the likelihood of someone moving closer to 10 than 35, outside of 1604.

Add:
And let the sprawl begin, seems like we were right in saying that this will help all activity in the area south of 78.
from the sabizjournal...
Caterpillar plant spurs new residential community
Quote:
Clint Haycraft Custom Homes is planning to roll out a new subdivision that will seek to address the anticipated new housing demand created by the new Caterpillar Inc. plant in Seguin.

The South Texas home builder has dubbed the new housing community the Pecan Ridge subdivision. It will be located on a tract of land between FM 78 and Interstate Highway 10, in the city of Marion. Plans call for 24 custom, single-family homes. Lots in the community will start at one acre.

Peoria, Ill.-based Caterpillar, a construction equipment manufacturer, has selected Seguin, located just east of San Antonio, as the site for a 1-million-square-foot assembly, test and paint facility. That new plant is expected to bring more than 1,400 jobs to Seguin. Marion is located between San Antonio and Seguin.

Clint Haycraft Custom Homes is based in La Vernia, Texas, which is located just east of San Antonio along Highway 87.
cake and keep it, too.

Last edited by miaht82; Aug 3, 2009 at 2:35 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 5:27 PM

Yeah, this Caterpillar plant is going to change the landscape of the area between far east SA and Seguin as well as Seguin itself.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 2:28 AM

Big Job Expectations

By William Pack - Express-News
from mysa.com
Quote:
As Caterpillar's $170 million engine assembly plant rises from its foundations in Seguin, optimism is growing about the impact of a facility that could produce 4,000 jobs when suppliers and associated employers are counted.

That's more than twice the number of workers Caterpillar announced in December it would hire for the assembly, testing and painting facility. But officials see it as a real possibility once suppliers are in place and the area is built out with retailers, health providers and others who will offer services to new workers.

Terry Treviño, director of the Seguin Economic Development Corp., said while the nation's economic struggles could create problems, talks she's had with suppliers and the development plans for the area of the plant have encouraged her about growth possibilities.

“We have a lot of growth and activity going on,” said Treviño, who is coordinating development activity with Caterpillar for Guadalupe County. “Are my expectations high? They are — wonderfully high.”

George Antuna, economic development director in Schertz between San Antonio and Seguin, said his office has received inquiries from Caterpillar suppliers about development options in the area.

He agrees thousands of workers beyond the 1,465 Caterpillar workers destined for the facility will be drawn to the affected area, which he said will reach to New Braunfels, San Marcos, Floresville and San Antonio.

“It's going to be a boon for the whole area,” Antuna said.

The number of suppliers the 1-million-square-foot plant will need is the key factor on the mind of economic development leaders.

Caterpillar did not return calls, but officials in several towns said they had heard from potential suppliers looking into area real estate opportunities.

Treviño said an economic impact report on the project anticipated 1,719 “indirect” or spinoff jobs would be created as a result of the new plant. She believed supplier jobs were part of that total.

When those jobs are combined with Caterpillar's planned hire, almost $159 million in new earnings should be created, the report showed.

Treviño said she believed Caterpillar was in the process of choosing which companies to use for parts and services at the plant. The first round of suppliers could be identified later this month if the process is not delayed, she said.

A key question still unanswered is how close to the plant the suppliers must be.

Antuna said he understood about a dozen would need to be within 2 miles of the facility, north of West Court Street and east of Interstate 10. That would leave about 20 more to consider Schertz and other towns farther from Seguin.

Mario Hernandez, president of the San Antonio Economic Development Foundation, said he understood that, unlike Toyota, Caterpillar will not require its suppliers to be on-site

Existing San Antonio companies could get some work from the plant and other suppliers could move to San Antonio if that proves true, Hernandez said.

Caterpillar has said the facility would allow it to consolidate engine operations from Illinois and South Carolina as it continues to fight the economic woes that have forced the company — the world's largest maker of mining and construction equipment — to cut jobs and executive pay.

Construction of the facility has encountered few delays and installation of the assembly line should start by late this year, Treviño said. She said a minimal staff of about 100 people could come on board for training and preliminary testing in April.

The plant is not expected to be fully operational until 2011, but Caterpillar will have two more years, if needed, under its tax incentive agreement with the city and county to get to full staffing, officials said.
CAT + BRAC in 2011 = Big boon for the region.
cake and keep it, too.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio