HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 5:23 PM

Ever is a long time. But no. Buildings that tall don't make financial sense nearly anywhere. The US's only two 1500+ are One World Trade Center and Central Park Tower. Those are a symbolic building and the flagship of Billionaire's Row. There are only 15 buildings in the world over 1500'.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 5:35 PM

To be honest I'll settle for a 1,250 footer. That's how tall Empire State is, and it would be cool to beat that.

Anything above 1,200 would put it in the Top 10 list in America. Austin deserves that status in my opinion.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 5:44 AM

One location for a 1200+ is the old post office site which is not in the CVC.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 10:29 PM
Resident Moron

Never is a mighty long time, but not in this guys lifetime I don't imagine.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
Do you guys think Austin will ever get a 1,500 footer?
Of course! Give it 10 years

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 10:20 PM

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 10:55 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

^^^ I absolutely love it!!!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 10:59 PM

That looks incredible. Maybe now there will be a good reason to check it out. I noticed there will be a ton of tables and seats. Does that mean there will be restaurants and or bars, or are they just places for people to play checkers? For sure it will be a music venue. I really like the way it reaches out to the lake. Now this center won't look like an insignificant use of prime real estate. I think the residents of the Rainey District will really benefit from the improvements.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2020, 12:39 AM
クラブトクヨ

Looks stunning! Can’t wait!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2020, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
That looks incredible. Maybe now there will be a good reason to check it out. I noticed there will be a ton of tables and seats. Does that mean there will be restaurants and or bars, or are they just places for people to play checkers? For sure it will be a music venue. I really like the way it reaches out to the lake. Now this center won't look like an insignificant use of prime real estate. I think the residents of the Rainey District will really benefit from the improvements.
I agree, I'm a big fan of the extension over the lake (and pretty much would support more boardwalk anywhere anyone wanted to build it). It's going to be a great neighborhood (and city!) amenity.

I bet the seating you're seeing is more to show off the event-venue-ness of the new space than to indicate a restaurant or anything. IMO they look like they're laser focused on putting all kinds of meeting spaces together. Which is pretty amazing. They could capture a lot of business with an updates space.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Here's another good reason to check it out...To appreciate the cultural arts of Mexican Americans and Latino cultures. But tables and seats are cool too

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury6 View Post
Here's another good reason to check it out...To appreciate the cultural arts of Mexican Americans and Latino cultures. But tables and seats are cool too
I'm just saying, from the outside, there just isn't much to look at right now, plus, I still have no idea what to expect with so little advertising. I've never seen this place to be on any tourist itinerary. The expansion is very much needed, as an update, and to bring more attention to the center. I'm all in if there is enough to see and do no matter what culture is on display.
If I'm going to go out of my way to visit any cultural center, I'd like for there to be enough to see and do to able to spend an afternoon there. The extensive outside work is almost enough to warrant a visit.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury6 View Post
i've been a dozen times, place is a dump. no cultural achievements change that fact lol. i'd never recommend it. glad the place is getting a facelift always thought it was kind of a black eye on austin in general

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 7:29 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
i've been a dozen times, place is a dump. no cultural achievements change that fact lol. i'd never recommend it. glad the place is getting a facelift always thought it was kind of a black eye on austin in general
I don't know, I've been there a few times myself and while I personally wouldn't call it a dump, I've always felt that it was an unfinished complex, likely due to funding limitations. This next phase is probably what the end product was planned to be originally or something similar at least. I walked by there lastnight on the trail. Looking forward to seeing the transformation.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 2:11 PM

Yeah, I'm guessing funding was a barrier for them early on. I agree with it being pretty much useless and boring as-is. I recall the staff coming outside to tell me I couldn't ride my bike on the giant empty open areas surrounding the building back in 2011 or so. Seemed like they had LOTS of free time.

This new facelift is stunning and VERY needed.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 2:31 PM

I like it and think it is an improvement over the original master plan. I think it is crowding the trail a little too much, though. I'm certain more people use the trail in that location on a daily basis than will ever be patrons of the facility, except maybe on special occasions such as Cinco de Mayo. I think keeping most of the trail decomposed granite for runners and providing some landscape buffer between the trail and building / plaza would be more respectful.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 3:48 PM

Geesh, you guys sure are being tough on something (a building) that came at zero expense to the taxpayer and was always going to come in phases, does nobody really remember that or is the importance of the heritage of some 30-35% of our residents not important enough? I've been to a dozen or so event there over the years in various parts inside and outside of the space and have enjoyed each one. There were some with only around 25 attendees and some with over 500. The building itself is a piece of art with each of the exterior pieces being specially picked and shipped from Mexico as originally designed by the Mexican architect. Admittedly, it needs a power wash and the free to the taxpayer expansion is long overdue, but overall this is a jewel for our city and goes some way in enhancing a very important part of our local culture.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixcity View Post
Geesh, you guys sure are being tough on something (a building) that came at zero expense to the taxpayer and was always going to come in phases, does nobody really remember that or is the importance of the heritage of some 30-35% of our residents not important enough? I've been to a dozen or so event there over the years in various parts inside and outside of the space and have enjoyed each one. There were some with only around 25 attendees and some with over 500. The building itself is a piece of art with each of the exterior pieces being specially picked and shipped from Mexico as originally designed by the Mexican architect. Admittedly, it needs a power wash and the free to the taxpayer expansion is long overdue, but overall this is a jewel for our city and goes some way in enhancing a very important part of our local culture.
Perfectly said.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixcity View Post
The current MACC building was built with funds from a 1998 city bond election that approved $10.9 million in funding.

http://austinmacc.com/eng/

The current expansion was included in the 2018 Prop B bond election that directs $27 million for the phase 2 expansion.

https://austintexas.gov/department/e...2-improvements

From the master plan it looks like the current funding may be enough for completing the crescent building, plaza/landscaping improvements, and original building renovations. The 300 to 500 seat performance space shown as the second pyramid is not currently funded. That's being described as phase 3 now where in the original master plan the third largest pyramid which would house a 1200 seat performance space was the previous phase 3. The updated master plan still gives space for this third pyramid but that's probably an expansion for another generation.

https://austintexas.gov/sites/defaul...Report-web.pdf

The MACC operates at a deficit which is made up for by the city of Austin's general revenue fund.

My personal opinion is that this is a decent use of city resources for an underserved community. I wish the MACC was located in a neighborhood that actually had a majority of residents that it was built to serve so that it could act as an anchor for the neighborhood. The blue line will help a with access so that's better at least.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enghum View Post
The current MACC building was built with funds from a 1998 city bond election that approved $10.9 million in funding.

http://austinmacc.com/eng/

The current expansion was included in the 2018 Prop B bond election that directs $27 million for the phase 2 expansion.

https://austintexas.gov/department/e...2-improvements

From the master plan it looks like the current funding may be enough for completing the crescent building, plaza/landscaping improvements, and original building renovations. The 300 to 500 seat performance space shown as the second pyramid is not currently funded. That's being described as phase 3 now where in the original master plan the third largest pyramid which would house a 1200 seat performance space was the previous phase 3. The updated master plan still gives space for this third pyramid but that's probably an expansion for another generation.

https://austintexas.gov/sites/defaul...Report-web.pdf

The MACC operates at a deficit which is made up for by the city of Austin's general revenue fund.

My personal opinion is that this is a decent use of city resources for an underserved community. I wish the MACC was located in a neighborhood that actually had a majority of residents that it was built to serve so that it could act as an anchor for the neighborhood. The blue line will help a with access so that's better at least.
Mic dropped.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin