HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 5:31 AM
D-Block 5 Star General

Nice thread of a city who gets little press

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 3:56 AM

Those falls are like the great forgotten urban icon or something. Really cool stuff!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 9:13 PM

Nice pictures. Paterson seems like it has a lot of history. I'm going to have to find out more about this street layout by L'Enfant. The amount of old mills, mansions, and other stuff is very interesting as well. That old Negro League Stadium sounds really cool (is that the correct picture of it? It looks like a warehouse.), and I will have to find out more about that.

I would really like to visit Paterson some day and explore it. Hopefully you cover it a little bit more some time in the future as well.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 5:48 AM

Paterson

Paterson is such a fascinating city because of where it is located. It's a crowded industrial city surrounded by sprawling suburbs on the edge of a big metropolitan area. The first time I went to Paterson and was big enough to see out the car window, I was surprised. As you approach the city on the highway (not sure which route) you see very low-rise, spread out suburbs and trees along much of the highway (there are, or were, some farms nearby). Then as you get close to the city along this stretch of highway, you see largely undeveloped mountains. Then the highway goes through a valley alongside a mountain that has been partially excavated to fit the highway. Then on the other side of that mountain you see this huge, crowded city in the Passaic Valley that looks like it came out of the middle of nowhere! And all of a sudden it's like you are in Newark or Brooklyn or South Philadelphia! It is very unusual the first time. Even though you hear about Paterson a lot if you live in North Jersey, it's still a surprise when you first see it there.

In the Philadelphia area, however, it is very normal to find such small factory cities and towns 20, 40, or even 50 miles from Philadelphia proper. I think that's because the Philadelphia area economy was so tied to the railroads that went in every direction from the city.

Anyway, thanks for sharing pictures from Paterson. It brought back many memories. (Also, one of those old mills that dot the landscape is, or was, the headquarters for Marcal Paper and is quite a landmark on the skyline when you pass through on the highway).

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 5:59 AM
Honored Member

I used to receive a quarterly magazine published by a labor history library. I can't even remember the name of the magazine or library, but it was a very high quality publication, with duotone photos on good, heavy matte paper. There was a lot of excellent writing in it, and one issue went into Paterson's labor rallies in great depth with lots of historical photos.

I stopped getting the magazine; I don't know if I overlooked the renewal notice or if they quit publishing. I gave all my back issues to a friend who has long been involved in labor issues, and maybe I can find out more from him.

I'm sure the Paterson folks on here would find those historic photos fascinating.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 4:35 AM
Ms AA

Fantastic thread. I've only been to Paterson once.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 5:55 PM
Eurosceptic

Incredible tour... I've been fascinated by Paterson lately.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 6:19 PM

That was awesome.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 6:28 PM

I remember when my folks stopped at a shopping mall in Paterson, and bought me a navy style jacket at Bambergers. The only time we ever stopped in Paterson on the way to Philadelphia. I must have been 12 years old but I have a vague recollection of it still.

I love the names of these New Jersey towns; Palisades, Paterson, Passaic, Paramus, Ho-Ho-Kus.

Maybe Massachussets with its tendency to put anything historical under a glass jar managed better the showcasing or protection of industrial history than New Jersey and New York. I am a bit saddened by the lack of care some of these old buildings receive. There is indeed an enormous historical tribute to be paid to these areas of the United States for their contribution to industry. It doesn't matter that the population is overwhelmingly immigrant stock, there needs to be a refection of industrial properties as well as incentives to protect the older residential structures. There is a lot of work to be done in respect to promoting reuse of older architecture before new schemes take hold. Look to Lowell and Worcester et al...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 2:17 AM

I remember the first time that I drove through Paterson I was surprised at how tragic it seemed. I was on my way to Hawthorne and once you literally drive over a tiny bridge into Hawthorne, it suddenly becomes quaint and charming.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 4:28 AM

Patterson is like Yonkers. Lots of Retired folks from NY city.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 12:12 AM

Thanks for the thread bump, this is a great set!

BTW this:

has been restored now:
601 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

View from inside:
586 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 1:45 AM

There's been some revitalization, not sure how much. Here are some examples I found of old industrial space converted into lofts.

Congdon Mill:

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 1:49 AM

Continued:

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 1:53 AM

19 Market Street

Maybe there's hope for these gorgeous old mill towns.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 2:07 PM

Thanks for the info on industrial rehabs Vandelay! This is the kind of thing that needs to happen. Very well done.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 9:29 PM

Bumping as this is an incredible picture thread. Paterson is a very unique city, very much forgotten behind the larger cities in the New York area. And perhaps for good reason, as it’s definitely not a safe or desirable place by any stretch of the imagination, and possibly the most depressed city in the Tri State area but still it has its charm. Driving around Paterson, you see a place frozen in time. The city hasn’t changed much since these pictures were taken, if anything it’s just gotten more dangerous, having broken records for homicides in 2020 and 2021. However hinchliffe stadium is about to be renovated, which will be a good look for the city, and the Great Falls area is undergoing improvements. Living a town away from Paterson, I’ve seen it plenty of times through the years and while it is a dangerous city, you see a lot of history driving through Paterson that is lacking in the surrounding Bergen & Passaic county suburbs.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 7:01 PM

It's probably the largest city in the immediate vicinity that I've never visited. That castle looks pretty interesting - could be a day trip destination soon!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan31 View Post
It's probably the largest city in the immediate vicinity that I've never visited. That castle looks pretty interesting - could be a day trip destination soon!
The waterfalls definitely worth a visit 😎 very cool history behind them

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 2:23 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcexpress69 View Post
Wow!! Quite a bit of grit crammed into such a small area that appears to be growing!! You did a great job capturing the life & death (industry wise) of Patterson.

BTW, isn't East Side High School located in Patterson?? That was the school that hired tough principal Joe Clark to clean up the mess there during the 80s. It went on to inspire the movie Lean On Me, starring Morgan Freeman as Joe Clark. Great movie to anyone who hasn't seen it!!
yep. and also, rubin 'hurricane' carter. he coulda been champion of the world.

Last edited by mrnyc; Feb 10, 2022 at 2:34 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos