HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 7:39 PM

If I saw this photo without it being in the Richmond thread, I'd immediately think it was taken in DC.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 9:03 PM
cities|transit|croissants

There's some DC resemblance there (bright colors, turrets, brick/stone combo), but DC rowhouses are usually three stories rather than two, and our turrets are more often angular rather than curvy.

This is the one I'd be more likely to mistake for DC. (Yes there's a curved turret there too, but only one rather than a whole series.)

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 3:35 PM
The River City!

Nice Thread!

Nice Photos, Cirrus! You captured the city's core elements rather well. Much like any city that was very important well into the 1930s, there's a lot of development spread out. I take it you have ventured to some of our other old neighborhoods? Church Hill, Northside (Ginter Park, Bellvue, etc.), Byrd Park, Windsor Farms, and Manchester/Westover Hills all have a lot of great architecture, as well.

We really would like to have better transportation. As of now, our buses are restricted to routes approved by City Council, instead of market demand. Hopefully, that will change soon. Bus Rapid Transit along Broad St is in the works to happen within the next two years, and hopefully a bus transfer station will soon follow. One of the more recent transit developments is a free bus system called, "To The Bottom And Back", which goes from Carytown to the Bottom from 5pm - 3am. The free bus service is being provided by restaurants and other donors as a way to reduce drunk driving. The service has been very successful, and hopefully, it will spur interest in other transit methods (at least a Carytown to The Bottom loop every 10 minutes).

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 2:18 PM

As a Charlottean, I've always envied Richmond's relatively intact urban fabric. Love it.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 2:52 PM
Chairman

You thieves - j/k

-sb

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 2:50 PM

Thanks Cirrus! Great thread! I never get tired of looking at pictures of Richmond. Also, I like how you highlighted the train depot.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 6:10 AM

I absolutley love Richmond's urban infrastruction this is a very slept on city post more if you have some!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 12:44 PM
Red brick mama.

Wow, what a beautiful city! Richmond looks a lot bigger than it is.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 2:05 PM
Eurosceptic

Awesome photos of Richmond!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 2:54 PM
BANNED

Pretty lookin city

Love the old near South cities

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 7:11 PM
Stuck in the Suburbs

I visited Richmond a few years back while doing college visits. My impressions of the place during the very short visit were of a fairly well-preserved but sleepy place. Downtown was(probably still is) as described, a patchwork of office buildings and wig shops. Nothing terribly wrong with that, although increased economic activity and further interest in the downtown would go a long way into making this one of the most visually-pleasing cities in the country.

This city is not represented well on SSP, and I wish I had taken pictures during my vist, although I was admittedly more interested in taking in the atmosphere of the university than photography at the time.

Rail would be a HUGE asset to the city's economy IF(and only if) the train trip were shorter than the 2-hour(ish-depending on traffic) drive.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 7:26 PM
Stuck in the Suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Wow, what a beautiful city! Richmond looks a lot bigger than it is.
Richmond is built much like St. Louis, in my opinion. That is, more important and (relatively speaking) larger in years past than it is now. There is a surprisingly large downtown, but (currently) it is very much a business district, surronded by a 'ring' of rowhouses and rowhouse-style development, in turn surrounded by a bungalow-ish belt. The city is very underrated and unknown, but is probably the most comprehensive city in Virginia.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 8:39 PM

Many thanks...

As a native Richmonder, I thank you for posting some of the best of what I still consider "home." Having lived in four cities on three continents in ten years I have finally found a place like home, but not home.

I remember feeding peanuts to the squirrels on hot and lazy Sunday afternoons with my family in Capitol Square. I remember the fudge shops and late '80's fashion available at Main Street Station during it's garish "mall" year(s). I remember mum driving through the fan to take my sister and I to school everyday. I remember the Carytown Watermelon Festival. I remember the people watching at the Easter Parade on Monument Avenue and I remember trying to find the artistic "clothes pin " at the old Lewis manse on said thoroughfare which is unlike any I have ever seen since.

Thank you for reminding me of so many wonderful memories of a place so unique and so memorable.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos