HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 7:39 PM

It really depends what you define as good and bad, or what your goal is. The current "bad" condo market is bad for real estate agents and people who bought them as investment properties to rent or flip. By the same token, the current market is great for people looking to buy who may not otherwise be able to afford it, or can get a better condo. It's also good for developers who focus on rentals.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
When I discussed this with my real estate agent, he said new builds (especially the wood frame builds in many of the suburban areas) were driving the market down. I have spoken with many people in the housing market that have agreed that the city needs to take a more proactive approach in regulating condo development.
390 is the first of what I consider a real condo like I have experienced in NYC and Vancouver. Its tall and sender, good walk score(Osborne, the forks and downtown), indoor parking, great views. Even the colour green glass is just like Vancouver,, Vancouverism. I didn't even look at websites of wood construction, suburban condos. 55 Nassau would be my next choice but its 50 years old and there is always a massive project going on. I am surprised more people don't feel the same way and buy up 390 fast. It will sell out and I think the people that live there will love it way more than buyers that settle for 4 story view of the IKEA parking lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouverism

Last edited by eman; Jun 25, 2020 at 9:31 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 9:26 PM

While I personally agree with that idealistically, it's just not remotely the case. People thinking about a condo on Sterling Lyon aren't deciding between there and downtown. It's there and Sage Creek, Reendeers, Meadowood, etc. 390 people are likely comparing to OV, Exchange, maybe West Broadway. And all those places have much cheaper options, and OV/WB have more everyday amenities.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
While I personally agree with that idealistically, it's just not remotely the case. People thinking about a condo on Sterling Lyon aren't deciding between there and downtown. It's there and Sage Creek, Reendeers, Meadowood, etc. 390 people are likely comparing to OV, Exchange, maybe West Broadway. And all those places have much cheaper options, and OV/WB have more everyday amenities.
I don't consider those worthy condos,, may as well rent. They don't live up to what a condo should be, within a walkable community. I guess, that is Winnipeg-condo-ism. Its not the kind of condo I would want to live in, in Winnipeg and I can't imagine that type of condo working in any of the big cities I visit. 390 is the best. Glasshouse is in a part of downtown I visit, but it's too far from the Forks or Osborne Village. The next condo build is at True North Square and I don't like it for the same reason as Glass. All recent builds in the Village are 4 floors I don't bother with. You're right that Winnipeger's want the cheap stuff even if its made of wood.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAWk0ILAW2V/

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 10:22 PM

I'm sorry are you saying OV isn't walkable? And only towers are "worthy" condos?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry are you saying OV isn't walkable? And only towers are "worthy" condos?
I really wanted the Village, I have no interest in 4 floors. 55 Nassau is too old. All new builds in OV are 4 floors. 390 is the best available right now, walkable to OV, the Forks and downtown and great views, indoor parking. I participated in the neighbourhood plan and made my ideas clear, but when given a choice Winnipeger's aim low. Tall is scary. The only place tall is permitted in the Village now is next to the tracks at confusion corner and so far nothing TOD has been built.

Last edited by eman; Jun 26, 2020 at 6:26 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 5:29 PM

I came across this photo on a Canada forum. The tall building on the left looks like a taller version of 390 on the River viewed from the Forks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
From Cambie Bridge.

On a related note, most nights I go for a run around the Legislative grounds and it seems like this building is at least starting to have some tenants. More and more lights on at night.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 12:40 AM

They started renting the first 2 or 3 floors as apartments. Wouldn’t be surprised if more come.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 7:23 PM

As of now 390 is over 45% occupied. The 6 and 7th floors are fully rented (no more rentals available). Winnipeg buyers don't seem to appreciate the prices as sales are pretty slow. I still think it's the best building available. Suburban condos are considerably less, but none have views like this or walkable to downtown, the River Walk, the Forks and Osborne Village. 390 is what an ideal high-rise condo should be, checks all the boxes. Even better than any Airbnb condo buildings I have stayed in NYC, Toronto or Vancouver. Winnipeger's want a discount because they compare it to the single family housing market or suburban condos that are short and wide built on cheap land. None of the penthouse units have sold yet. They are completely unfinished bare concrete ready to be customized.

The view from the north west side:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMQvUHPAEoR/

Last edited by eman; Apr 19, 2021 at 4:00 AM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 11:09 PM

Title needs an update unless U/C means the unfinished Penthouses too?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 12:26 AM

The building is gorgeous but IMO they went way overboard with the interior finishes. They're extremely high end, but there also very unique and of a certain style (lots of bright blue tile, "arty" design) that I think would not be everyone's taste... and when you're starting at $500,000 for a brand new condo with finishings you don't like. Tough pill to swallow.

Also I think in general they just went so high end with the finishings they mis-read the market.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 1:32 AM

How large are the penthouses? What is the pricing? How much are the common area costs $ft2? Are they being sold raw or finished?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 1:32 AM

Quote:
The building is gorgeous but IMO they went way overboard with the interior finishes. They're extremely high end, but there also very unique and of a certain style (lots of bright blue tile, "arty" design) that I think would not be everyone's taste... and when you're starting at $500,000 for a brand new condo with finishings you don't like. Tough pill to swallow.

Also I think in general they just went so high end with the finishings they mis-read the market.
Glass House has lesser finishes, exposed ducts, concrete and cheaper appliances. Sales probably moved faster because they attracted investors that rent out short term Airbnb and long-term. 390 does not allow Airbnbs, which live in owners appreciate not having to deal with transient parties all the time. 390 seems to be all live-in owners except for the 6 and 7th floor leases. 6 to 17 floor with 6 units per floor. The two small 2br units per floor I believe start at $350,000 and climb with higher floors. That's reasonable,, they're only about 700sq. The prices start to climb fast for larger units. From 18 to 22 only 4 units per floor. The top selling unit is 06 facing south east 816sq. All units come with parking.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
How large are the penthouses? What is the pricing? How much are the common area costs $ft2? Are they being sold raw or finished?
The Penthouses, half floor each are completely unfinished just plumbing pipes and concrete. The furnaces are sitting in boxes as their placement will depend on how you choose to design it. 2098sq and 2295sq.

Of course you could buy more than one unit on two floors like Izzy Asper did at One Wellington and cut holes in the concrete for stairs.

I don't know the prices, its gotta be million or more.

One unit that sold on the 16th floor is two units combined, 1605 and 1606 about 1775sq not as big as a penthouse, but larger than 1501sq 02 units on 18 to 22.

Last edited by eman; Apr 19, 2021 at 2:29 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 2:42 AM

In my opinion the best units are in the north west corner 02 6 to 22 or 03 6 to 17floors. Though the best sellers are 06 facing south east(nicest river view). The south facing units will get lots of sun from sunrise and heats up the place, too much sun. The 02 and 03(6to17) start getting sun at 1pm and doesn't really heat up too much. The sunsets and summer storms facing the Legislative Building are amazing.

Last edited by eman; Apr 19, 2021 at 3:08 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
🤩 now that’s a view, great job capturing it!

I love this building, and when kids leave the nest in 6-8 yrs I hope I’m still attracted to it

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 3:47 AM

The unfinished penthouses are for sale for $800k. Very limited market.

It needs to be someone really dedicated to living in a condo downtown. Never mind the finishing costs.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The unfinished penthouses are for sale for $800k. Very limited market.

It needs to be someone really dedicated to living in a condo downtown. Never mind the finishing costs.
One Wellington is on the market right now asking $2,799,000 8000sq.

I'm curious to see which sells first. Wellington is only 11 floors, covered in limestone right? 390 is 24 with better views. Even your car can have a river view.

https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Condo.../91035026.html

Last edited by eman; Apr 20, 2021 at 12:45 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
🤩 now that’s a view, great job capturing it!

I love this building, and when kids leave the nest in 6-8 yrs I hope I’m still attracted to it
Pretty easy to capture from the livingroom, the sunsets are unobstructed most of the year. The red white and blue on that day is the most unique one I have ever seen.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 2:05 PM

I feel like that unit at Wellington has been for sale for forever.

390 is definitely nice and having a blank canvas to create whatever you want is also nice. If I could afford it, I'd consider it. Maybe one of the NHL guys will buy it haha

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan