HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 3, 2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
Hate to say it, but instead of looking for someone to come along and inject more cash, they need to look at starting to reduce labour costs.

Other airports such as Vancouver have reduced cleaning costs by closing off piers and reduced the area that needs to be cleaned and supported.

Air Canada is predicting a return to most routes by the end of the year. I think it will take longer.

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Hate to say it, but instead of looking for someone to come along and inject more cash, they need to look at starting to reduce labour costs.
I heard an interview from the president of the airport authority a few days ago. He addressed some of these concerns.

Shutting down parts of the airport would be difficult because we only have a few gates. I haven't been to the airport since the pandemic struck, but I'd guess they're only using two or three gates. It would be difficult to shut down some of the gates unless lighting and such can be controlled discreetly. (That ability may never have been foreseen as being useful.)

Many costs are fixed and statutorily required, e.g. fire fighting ability. I'm sure they're spending less on things like cleaning, but they would still need security.

The president said they have cut all operations that they are allowed to cut that make sense, and I'm inclined to believe him. We don't have the luxury of shutting a large section of a large terminal. We only have one terminal and it isn't large to begin with.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
I heard an interview from the president of the airport authority a few days ago. He addressed some of these concerns.

Shutting down parts of the airport would be difficult because we only have a few gates. I haven't been to the airport since the pandemic struck, but I'd guess they're only using two or three gates. It would be difficult to shut down some of the gates unless lighting and such can be controlled discreetly. (That ability may never have been foreseen as being useful.)

Many costs are fixed and statutorily required, e.g. fire fighting ability. I'm sure they're spending less on things like cleaning, but they would still need security.

The president said they have cut all operations that they are allowed to cut that make sense, and I'm inclined to believe him. We don't have the luxury of shutting a large section of a large terminal. We only have one terminal and it isn't large to begin with.
I suspect cleaning is the one option. With only a 4-5 flights a day and very few passengers they should be able to dramatically reduce their cleaning cost.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:32 PM

Regina Airport Authority facing 'financial crisis' in 2020

https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...-1b6c312233e6/

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 5:22 PM

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Quote:
Flights from Regina to Winnipeg, Regina to Saskatoon, Regina to Ottawa and Saskatoon to Ottawa have been halted indefinitely.

I didn't know they ran flights between Saskatoon & Regina.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I didn't know they ran flights between Saskatoon & Regina.
The press release from Air Canada probably had an error, as there is no direct service between Regina (YQR) and Saskatoon (YXE), nor is there any service between Regina and Ottawa (YOW). There is however, a seasonal (summer) flight that originates in Ottawa that flies non-stop to Regina, then it continues on to Saskatoon, and then it heads back to Ottawa non-stop. So basically, this flight made a loop between the three cities. And this seasonal flight only ran 6 days a week.

Regina is only losing two flights, not three.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
The press release from Air Canada probably had an error, as there is no direct service between Regina (YQR) and Saskatoon (YXE), nor is there any service between Regina and Ottawa (YOW). There is however, a seasonal (summer) flight that originates in Ottawa that flies non-stop to Regina, then it continues on to Saskatoon, and then it heads back to Ottawa non-stop. So basically, this flight made a loop between the three cities. And this seasonal flight only ran 6 days a week.

Regina is only losing two flights, not three.
Service to a distant airport via another airport (or even several) where you can stay on the same plan eis called "direct" in the airline industry, so a flight on the same craft via Saskatoon to Ottawa is direct, just not non-stop.

You could buy a flight to Saskatoon on that route and get off there. You could also connect in Saskatoon to elsewhere (which I'm sure is how it was used, if ever anyone got off in Saskatoon).

So, technically, we had non-stop (and direct) service to Saskatoon, and direct (but not non-stop) service to Ottawa.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 9:15 PM

So, in theory, Air Canada could fly you from Regina to Saskatoon but not from Saskatoon to Regina.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
So, in theory, Air Canada could fly you from Regina to Saskatoon but not from Saskatoon to Regina.
Weren’t there once flights from Ottawa to Saskatoon and looping
to Regina back to Ottawa as well?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Weren’t there once flights from Ottawa to Saskatoon and looping
to Regina back to Ottawa as well?
Yes. It was, I think, Saskatoon-Regina-Ottawa; Ottawa-Regina-Saskatoon. (I might have Regina/Saskatoon inverted.) So that way, there was a return pair between Regina and Saskatoon (and either and Ottawa) every day.

Later, AC changed it to Saskatoon-Ottawa-Halifax and Regina-Ottawa-Montreal, arriving in Ottawa within 2-3 minutes of each other, so that Saskatoon passengers could connect to Montreal and Regina passengers could connect to Halifax with an easy 45-minute connection in Ottawa. But later, they changed back to the single pair of flights a day involving both Regina and Saskatoon.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 8:10 PM

aaaaaand welcome to SK Flair Airlines..... https://globalnews.ca/news/7210239/f...-saskatchewan/

What's the consensus folks? Good? Bad? Ugly?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM753Fan View Post
aaaaaand welcome to SK Flair Airlines..... https://globalnews.ca/news/7210239/f...-saskatchewan/

What's the consensus folks? Good? Bad? Ugly?
Finally!!!!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 8:42 PM

When I flew Flair from YQR to Kelowna a few years back I think my fair was $14 + taxes. Everything was a la carte. It is great to have some competition.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
When I flew Flair from YQR to Kelowna a few years back I think my fair was $14 + taxes. Everything was a la carte. It is great to have some competition.
I agree. Having 3 airlines flying from Regina/Saskatoon to and from Vancouver and Toronto-Pearson will be a good thing. Hope this will keep the prices competitive.

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Jul 23, 2020 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post

We don't have the luxury of shutting a large section of a large terminal. We only have one terminal and it isn't large to begin with.
They've done their best to cordon off sections that aren't needed and close the cafe/lounge airside to reduce cleaning effort, but as you said it's not really possible to close the whole thing:

Kind of spooky really:

Gate 3 seems to be the main one in use, people were mostly congregated around there, and the Tim Horton's and the Relay now that they're airside:

The expansion really makes the sharp drop in passengers all the more stark. Compared to a few years ago before they expanded the footprint, it might not have been as noticeable:

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 11:57 PM

Some excitement today at YQR!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 2:45 PM

Flair's not at all my things, but once the dust settles on travel, assuming they stick it out here, they will help to keep WestJet's and Air Canada's fares down.

If Flair got their service up to daily levels at convenient times, I could ese them being tempting for a weekend trip to Toronto or Vancouver. Unfortunately, urban holidays are exactly what I'm not interested in right now. My 2020 holiday is a week in an isolated cabin in northern Saskatchewan instead.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 9:40 PM

Thumbs down Flair's livery

For what it's worth, their livery is ugly! Did they have a design contest at an elementary school?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
For what it's worth, their livery is ugly! Did they have a design contest at an elementary school?
I actually don’t mind it and enjoy the mint and black.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan