HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 10:22 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Regarding this intersection: It’s both very un pedestrian friendly in general, and to top it off the crosswalk lights are broken and our city admin people that run traffic lights don’t seem to give a damn... (been broken for months now -whoever is in charge of traffic lights in this city needs to be fired tomorrow - all of our downtown lights have been out of sync for way too long to give them another chance).
What drives me crazy is the stupid support cables on the pork chop islands that try to cut my head off every time I use the cross walk.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 5:38 PM

I'm pretty sure of reading/hearing somewhere that the City has contracted Triovest to complete pedestrian/public realm improvements to that intersection as part of their own site finishes. They've always been planned as part of the 3rd Ave upgrades going a few years back now, but I think it was felt that there was no sense doing them until Parcel YY built out.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 2:42 PM

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 2:11 AM

just want to put it out there that of the 4 building not being constructed. One was recently postponed but at least was taking sales and actively showed at least some progress. The other 3 are all NPD have been proposed for more than 2 years and are all essentially dead , no signs of life.

Fantastic record NPD, keep up the good work. Cant wait to see your next pie in the sky never to come to anything proposal.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 2:34 AM

Our city could definitely use a couple more large scale developers, that’s for sure.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 4:09 PM

^at least that’s above article now show out of town developers that NPD has zero track record, further reiterating the need for more out of town guys. Come on down Calgary developers! Saskatoon needs you.

Some massive concrete slabs going up today - I think it’ll still be just above ten feet higher than where the top is now! It’s really noticeable from a lot more angles as of this morning. Super exciting! I wish I got this photo about ten seconds earlier - the skyline actually looks like a skyline if I took it right. Stay tuned.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 8:53 PM

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 2:24 PM

Beautiful photos Echoes (as always). I really like the last photo. The first tower (is that the RBC tower?) really shows off its sloping glass well. It's a great looking complex, and I am looking forward to seeing it when completed.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 2:24 PM

I wish the condo hadn't increased to 20 levels for two reasons:

1. The lower height would have made the adjoining hotel more visible, thus giving the overall project a larger feel (i.e. having four visible buildings vs. the three that are seen from many angles now).

2. This is pure speculation and we'll never know the answer but I feel like had there been four fewer floors, more demand would have carried over into Highpoint. Let's say of the twenty additional units added, RL sold twelve. Had ten of those purchased at Highpoint, would it have carried forward as planned?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 5:18 PM

^ I choose to look at it a different way:

Had Alt Hotel stuck with building the slimmer 17 storey hotel with less rooms per floor as planned instead of a stouter 14 storey hotel with more rooms per floor then the hotel would have become slightly more prominent in the 4 tower Riverlanding project as you wish.

Also if Meridian's Escala had dropped from 10 storeys to 7 and then finally blunted down to 4 storeys would that have made you happier with the slight added chance for HighPoint project to proceed six months earlier than the extended few extra months planned to rejig the commercial part of that development?
We shouldn't forget Highpoint was already over 40% sold. Having it at say 50% sold probably wouldn't have changed the replanning of the commercial part of project before construction was to start.

We really shouldn't over analyze what effect other projects have on upcoming projects to be built. For all we know HighPoint project is going to have 4 added floors on to new plan like Riverlanding 1 had.

Photo I took earlier this week:
I love the Juxtaposition of the 90 year old Bess, 40 year old Renaissance and Delta hotel, and the glass of the new Riverlanding towers back in the distance.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 10:55 PM

The highest concrete slab was poured at Nutrien Tower earlier this week. Now just structural steel framing to take place up top. There will still be a formal topping off ceremony sometime next month, though.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post

As a former resident of Saskatoon in the late 1970's and early 80's I appreciate the time taken by photographers to show the changes taking place downtown. River Landing is a real gem and I hope that the future development of the parcels of land to the west of the Senator Sid Buckwold Bridge are equally if not more impressive. Please do not Baydo this area, lol.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Photo I took earlier this week:
I love the Juxtaposition of the 90 year old Bess, 40 year old Renaissance and Delta hotel, and the glass of the new Riverlanding towers back in the distance.
Wow! And thank you! That really put things in perspective for me in so many ways!

50 years between the bessborough and the renaissance towers. The renaissance towers were built 40 years ago. The renaissance towers have now been up almost as long as the Bess was when they were built. Bess - 50 years - renaissance towers - 40 years - river landing towers.

Totally agree with you about the juxtaposition from that angle... constantly studying it myself imagining the nutrien tower completed. 1930 - 1980 - 2020.

Gawd... I feel so old!!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 3:08 PM

An angle I don't think I've seen on here before. Facing East from the Farmer's Market parking lot.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 3:40 PM

Patiently waiting for the province's next tallest building to be constructed exactly where the last photo was taken

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 4:31 PM

I don't see why so many are excited for really tall buildings (by Saskatoon's standards) to go on those sites by the old farmers markets. Its really in the CBD. It may as well be in Stonebridge with everything else, for all i care. There are so many empy lots id love to see filled furst. maybe tie the north and south together some.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 4:56 PM

Just out of curiosity, and assuming that Highpointe proceeds as planned at 17 floors, has anyone figured out its relative prominence on the skyline, being positioned on the higher east bank of the river? I would anticipate that it would be at least as tall as RL’s Nutrien tower, if not even more visible from most vantage points outside of the city limits.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
I don't see why so many are excited for really tall buildings (by Saskatoon's standards) to go on those sites by the old farmers markets. Its really in the CBD. It may as well be in Stonebridge with everything else, for all i care. There are so many empy lots id love to see filled furst. maybe tie the north and south together some.
I get what you're saying but IMHO people get "excited" about development on the farmers market site(s) simply because that is the spot with the highest probability of getting significant development next. Plus development there would add to the growing vibrancy of the whole RL district and perhaps encourage more folks to consider downtown living...

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 7:57 PM

Absolutely agree. The spot across from the Bes *should* be the site to get the biggest development based on its location and central location downtown. For whatever reason, the province has decided to hang onto the land and let it collect dust

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drto View Post
Just out of curiosity, and assuming that Highpointe proceeds as planned at 17 floors, has anyone figured out its relative prominence on the skyline, being positioned on the higher east bank of the river? I would anticipate that it would be at least as tall as RL’s Nutrien tower, if not even more visible from most vantage points outside of the city limits.
High point has given its 40 deposits back. Dead in the water.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan