HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
July 20th Oliver’s Mens Wear opens in the Cornwall Centre. Does this mean the Hamilton Street location closes even tho they moved there recently? I’m sure the Southland Mall location will stay. Also, anyone know where in the mall it will go? The Bench location next to Sephora?
Yes, you are correct. Oliver's opens on Monday in the former Bench location. I would assume the Hamilton Street store will close. I was at Southland Mall on Thursday and there is no sign that that location is closing any time soon, but hey, these days anything can happen, right?

I was at the Cornwall Centre this morning (sorry no pictures) and talked to two employees at Lush. They are happy to be open, but only for pickup for at least 2-3 weeks until they are ready to go. The store is bigger - they did move the wall back (it looks like it is close to double the original sales space) and yes, it's permanent and they do have sinks, etc. It looks a lot better than before. Speaking with one of the employees ( I know their names but will give then anonymity) and was told that David's Tea is trying to renegotiate its leases at all stores, including the Cornwall Centre.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Yes, you are correct. Oliver's opens on Monday in the former Bench location. I would assume the Hamilton Street store will close. I was at Southland Mall on Thursday and there is no sign that that location is closing any time soon, but hey, these days anything can happen, right?

I was at the Cornwall Centre this morning (sorry no pictures) and talked to two employees at Lush. They are happy to be open, but only for pickup for at least 2-3 weeks until they are ready to go. The store is bigger - they did move the wall back (it looks like it is close to double the original sales space) and yes, it's permanent and they do have sinks, etc. It looks a lot better than before. Speaking with one of the employees ( I know their names but will give then anonymity) and was told that David's Tea is trying to renegotiate its leases at all stores, including the Cornwall Centre.
Thank you for the update, same thing happening in Toronto with store front pickup/shopping at LUSH stores. I was guessing David’s Tea was doing some lease damage control and seeing what deals/savings they can do with brick and mortar.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 5:52 PM

David’s Tea will be closing their Saskatchewan locations.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
David’s Tea will be closing their Saskatchewan locations.
That's two Saskatoon locations and one Regina location closing with only 18 other Canadian stores remaining.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 7:00 PM

Maybe we can get a Cinnabon to take their space at the Cornwall Centre!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 8:45 PM

I figured the odds were against Cornwall Centre renegotiating the lease for DT.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
I figured the odds were against Cornwall Centre renegotiating the lease for DT.
Ambassador Coffee still has a nice tea selection, and is local. Plus, there's mail. (Even international shippers are reasonable because tea is a grocery item, so not subject to duty or tax.)

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
Ambassador Coffee still has a nice tea selection, and is local. Plus, there's mail. (Even international shippers are reasonable because tea is a grocery item, so not subject to duty or tax.)
Cuppa Tea in cathedral is great to deal with as well.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 5:38 PM

Thinking about this space on the main floor, does anyone have any guesses or wants for what tenant would be good for this space at the Cornwall Centre? I was thinking Winners but a Save On Foods/Sobeys/No Frills would be perfect too with the adjacent loading docks.

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Jul 31, 2020 at 6:14 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 6:39 PM

^ Maybe Shopper's Drug Mart would want to have that space to expand to(?).
Giant Tiger may be a good add on too since they sell a bit of everything including a small selection of groceries.
Saskatoon has 3 Giant Tigers, one near downtown, maybe Regina could use one close to downtown.
Otherwise the usual Winners/Marshalls stores could be the best fit.
Speaking of fit, are there any fitness centres in the mall?, I haven't been to Regina since the whole CoVid thing...
Goodlife fitness could be a good fit too.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 8:00 PM

Goodlife getting a downtown location would be amazing and mean I never have to travel south of College anymore.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Goodlife getting a downtown location would be amazing and mean I never have to travel south of College anymore.
Yeah, Goodlife would be amazing! They currently have a south and East location. No central or North.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
^ Maybe Shopper's Drug Mart would want to have that space to expand to(?).
Giant Tiger may be a good add on too since they sell a bit of everything including a small selection of groceries.
Saskatoon has 3 Giant Tigers, one near downtown, maybe Regina could use one close to downtown.
Otherwise the usual Winners/Marshalls stores could be the best fit.
Speaking of fit, are there any fitness centres in the mall?, I haven't been to Regina since the whole CoVid thing...
Goodlife fitness could be a good fit too.
Only fitness centre in the mall is the one in the SaskTel building for SaskTel employees.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 3:35 AM

Any ideas? Looks like it might be the former Smitty’s spot/former CIBC location?

New restaurant? retail? doctors office?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Any ideas? Looks like it might be the former Smitty’s spot/former CIBC location?

New restaurant? retail? doctors office?

Oh I am so nervous. I can't wait!! Could this be what I have been dreaming about forever? Canada's largest Dollarama? ...complete with Tim Horton's inside? The world's smallest IKEA? Oh be still my heart!

Seriously, I am ready for the 'big' news *cough*

Sorry, just trying to have fun during these unusual times

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Oh I am so nervous. I can't wait!! Could this be what I have been dreaming about forever? Canada's largest Dollarama? ...complete with Tim Horton's inside? The world's smallest IKEA? Oh be still my heart!

Seriously, I am ready for the 'big' news *cough*

Sorry, just trying to have fun during these unusual times
Lol! Knowing Southland Mall, my hopes are low. But from the little bit of the render you can see, maybe they are improving that entrance with more facade improvements and I am hoping they secured a new restaurant tenant. Maybe a national chain?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 1:57 PM

I'll give Southland this: Other than the Cornwall, it's the only mall in the city that seems to not be overtly dying a very rapid death. Vic Square and the Northgate are hollow sarcophagi (...had to look up the plural of sarcophagus); the Southland is at least putting up a fight.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
I'll give Southland this: Other than the Cornwall, it's the only mall in the city that seems to not be overtly dying a very rapid death. Vic Square and the Northgate are hollow sarcophagi (...had to look up the plural of sarcophagus); the Southland is at least putting up a fight.
Yeah both malls have put in capital to renovate and try to find tenants. Golden Mile would come in 3rd, yet not really an enclosed mall anymore.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Yeah both malls have put in capital to renovate and try to find tenants. Golden Mile would come in 3rd, yet not really an enclosed mall anymore.
I associate the Golden Mile to what happened with the old Sherwood Village mall - it's more of a retail area now than anything.

I actually think having two malls that are successful is an okay place to be for a city our size. If other malls die & get chopped up, you'd think that'd be to the benefit of the Cornwall & the Southland.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 1:57 AM

13th Avenue Sobey's Liquor

Someone had inquired about construction of the new Sobey's Liquor on 13th Avenue & Retallack recently. I couldn't find the post ('one_brick' perhaps?). I went past the site this morning and activity has finally begun. There were a couple of trailers and what looked to be insulated concrete forms ...and workers too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan