HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 12:19 AM

Who can tell at this point if this will be a good or bad deal for the city?

On the one hand the city certainly looks like it pressed the panic button to keep the deal alive. On the other hand, it's not like they wrote a cheque to Harold Hill to provide the town with band instruments and uniforms, no questions asked. The deal is still contingent on whether or not the Feds pony up the remaining money (what is it at this point, about $12 million?), and whether the project will have the private backing for the rest of the project.

Yes I am very concerned about a big project getting 1/2 or 1/4 done and the city being on the hook to just finish something that turns out to be kind of half-assed.I guess it's going to depend on how the city tries to protect itself if a final agreement is ready to me signed.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 1:11 PM
What could go wrong?

The good part is that most of the funds are tax related, meaning if it doesn't get built, Starlight doesn't realize the savings. I think Starlight wanted $60m cash which I would not have been in support of. It remains to be seen if Starlight will proceed without the upfront cash they are asking for.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 12:52 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Who can tell at this point if this will be a good or bad deal for the city?

On the one hand the city certainly looks like it pressed the panic button to keep the deal alive. On the other hand, it's not like they wrote a cheque to Harold Hill to provide the town with band instruments and uniforms, no questions asked. The deal is still contingent on whether or not the Feds pony up the remaining money (what is it at this point, about $12 million?), and whether the project will have the private backing for the rest of the project.

Yes I am very concerned about a big project getting 1/2 or 1/4 done and the city being on the hook to just finish something that turns out to be kind of half-assed.I guess it's going to depend on how the city tries to protect itself if a final agreement is ready to me signed.
Hmmm, where have I seen that observation before?

*remembers about 360 Main and Trizec*

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post

Seems to happen a lot, doesn't it?

It doesn't take much searching to find this sort of thing happening everywhere; developers making great promises and not delivering. Here's one example:

https://wamu.org/story/13/05/22/empt..._dont_deliver/

Don't get me wrong; I'm very "pro-development" for the city, I'm just not necessarily "pro-developer". Screwing over local governments to get what they want is a very old story for a number of developers, and not one that is unique to Winnipeg by a long shot.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 2:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The good part is that most of the funds are tax related, meaning if it doesn't get built, Starlight doesn't realize the savings. I think Starlight wanted $60m cash which I would not have been in support of. It remains to be seen if Starlight will proceed without the upfront cash they are asking for.
Tax related = someone else has to pay more

Just more pie in the sky BS that the very next project will cure all of downtown Winnipeg’s problems. The largest growing segment of our population which is new Canadians don’t want to live downtown, go downtown on a weekend or any night other than when the Jets play and tell me who in their right mind would want to live there!

If there is one thing that comes out of the COVID-19 shutdown, it is that living near work is unnecessary when work from home can be done from anywhere which will be the new trend.

Last edited by rrskylar; Jul 25, 2020 at 2:48 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post

Bang on. What's old is new again.

Let's write to Santa and ask him to give a copy of this book to every member of City Council so they can see how this plays out:

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 4:55 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
My meaning being that they can’t just slap up a paint job, take $60m in cash and run. Their savings come after the project is built over numerous years.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 5:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
My meaning being that they can’t just slap up a paint job, take $60m in cash and run. Their savings come after the project is built over numerous years.
If wishes were horses and all the stars align, one thing I’ve learned is that there are no guarantees in life or anything else, Portage Place, the new arena etc. and a myriad of other things we’re all going to be the panacea to fix Winnipeg’s downtown!

$60 million in tax dollars is a gamble, since it’s not actually their money politicians rarely give a shit where it goes!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 6:14 PM
surely you agree with me

Have they said what they are going to do with the 300,000 square feet of space in the mall? I’m really interested to know what the actual plan is, other than the housing towers. It’s a huge building. They must have proposed a use for the building to the governments. Did I miss that? Is it still a mall?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 7:00 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Have they said what they are going to do with the 300,000 square feet of space in the mall? I’m really interested to know what the actual plan is, other than the housing towers. It’s a huge building. They must have proposed a use for the building to the governments. Did I miss that? Is it still a mall?
I believe the mall is being cut up into various office spaces, ground level was to be retail, then the additional towers for residential. But beyond that I don't think they have ever given out specific plans... just a broad "this will happen" kinda thing.

Which seems normal for any outside developer showing up to "save" Winnipeg. See: Sky City

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 7:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Well part of the mall is dissected and surgically removed to allow for a roadway, meeting place (bum hangout) and such. Don’t forget the 10K sq. feet of promised public space, that’s gotta be worth $60M at least!

Actually the $60 M could have built two or three really nice community centres for all people of all ages to use!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 9:07 PM

They did say in their most recent presentation to city call that a space for prairie theatre exchange would be incorporated, beyond that, not much else.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
They did say in their most recent presentation to city call that a space for prairie theatre exchange would be incorporated, beyond that, not much else.
Looking at the initial renderings it appears the height of the current building (except for the residential towers) is to be reduced. Perhaps the plan is to reduce the size of the office/retail area there now? Assuming retailers like Staples and Shoppers Drug Mart will still want a presence, they may be just kind of sussing out who, of the remaining tenants, will still want space there. Just speculation, of course.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 4:57 PM

Quote:

Just more pie in the sky BS that the very next project will cure all of downtown Winnipeg’s problems. The largest growing segment of our population which is new Canadians don’t want to live downtown, go downtown on a weekend or any night other than when the Jets play and tell me who in their right mind would want to live there!

If there is one thing that comes out of the COVID-19 shutdown, it is that living near work is unnecessary when work from home can be done from anywhere which will be the new trend.
Working @ home for me is not an option & never will be.
That working @ home option is not 99% so that is annoying to hear this always.
I know that I certainly am not the only freak who is in this position.
I was downtown last night and plenty of people even at 1:30 am. Be aware of your surroundings is always sensible advice.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 7:26 PM

Quote:

Not everybody is scared of poor people like your are.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 10:02 PM

Interesting article from The Sun dated July 28:

https://winnipegsun.com/news/local-n...opment-forward

Of course this could just be PR from Starlight Investments, but if it's even half-way accurate about the number of agencies that have a voice in the matter it is not really surprising that negotiations seem so convoluted.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 5:40 PM

Check out report 9, schedule B: http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View...onId=&InitUrl=

Details some of the (obviously initial, loose) plans Starlight has for parts of PP that interact with the street. All sounds good to me.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Check out report 9, schedule B: http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View...onId=&InitUrl=

Details some of the (obviously initial, loose) plans Starlight has for parts of PP that interact with the street. All sounds good to me.
I've never read any bits of a city council meeting before, but had to laugh out loud when I saw that link refer to the mayor as "His Worship Mayor Bowman"... is that really necessary in this day and age? Does Bowman get to wear a crown while he's there, too?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

I guess the question now is how the proposal will sound to the feds when they decide whether to pony up the past $20 million they are being asked for. The proposal seems to push the right buttons, but who can tell?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 2:15 AM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Wins View Post
Does Bowman get to wear a crown while he's there, too?
Close...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan