HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 3:57 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
The tender goes in tomorrow for cutting off Brady at the Perimeter and upgrading the service road to Waverley on the south side. Work to be completed by Halloween.
Ah, a spooky opening (of the upgraded service road)

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 4:51 PM

I wonder if they'll restore the 100 kph limit on that stretch of the Perimeter once the dangerous Brady Rd intersection is eliminated?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 9:00 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
The tender goes in tomorrow for cutting off Brady at the Perimeter and upgrading the service road to Waverley on the south side. Work to be completed by Halloween.
It actually closes tomorrow:

https://www.merx.com/mbgov/solicitat...ads/0000178364

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
That's what I meant.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 9:35 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
That's what I meant.
My bad - I read goes out when you said goes in.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
In terms of the south Perimeter I would guess that Hwy 2/3/McGillvary and St Annes are high on the list of projects. Anything between LaSalle and Pembina is going to be a huge cost due to the build out to stage the St Norbert by pass. A reference point for that is CCW/Headingley by-pass.

Wilkes might also see the badly needed ramp improvements in the short term without the related bridge rebuilds. The ramp upgrades can be split from the larger project there.
Agree with the Wilkes ramp rebuild. Could be done fairly inexpensively and drastically help the situation until funds are available for reconstruction. Even adding proper merge lanes at ste anne and 330 would go a long way.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Agree with the Wilkes ramp rebuild. Could be done fairly inexpensively and drastically help the situation until funds are available for reconstruction. Even adding proper merge lanes at ste anne and 330 would go a long way.
That's just it, while grade separations are needed get some significant improvements built out at the status quo that could be part of construction detour/grade separation when in happens. That likely means moving exit points back from the intersection and having longer merge lanes and entry traffic at a later point. Those would have meaningful improvements to safety today and could likely be done all around to Perimeter for the cost of building a single new interchange.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 6:14 AM

I have some friends in the trucking industry in Manitoba. I asked what was on their wish list and the usual projects were there - upgrade the South Perimeter, replace traffic lights with interchanges on the Trans-Canada, etc. One surprise? Add an interchange at 1 and 13. First problem for NB 13 trucks wanting to go WB 1 is getting across the EB 1 lanes. Secondly, while there is an extended left side acceleration lane for trucks, it ends at the La Salle River long before passing lane speed is reached.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 12:36 PM

Ya there would need to be numerous interchanges out on the hwy if that were to ever happen.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
I have some friends in the trucking industry in Manitoba. I asked what was on their wish list and the usual projects were there - upgrade the South Perimeter, replace traffic lights with interchanges on the Trans-Canada, etc. One surprise? Add an interchange at 1 and 13. First problem for NB 13 trucks wanting to go WB 1 is getting across the EB 1 lanes. Secondly, while there is an extended left side acceleration lane for trucks, it ends at the La Salle River long before passing lane speed is reached.
And as much as we might think this would be low on the provincial priority list, if the trucking industry comes out and lobbies for this, they might actually be able to get it moving sooner than other projects (once TCH and Perimeter are done).

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
One surprise? Add an interchange at 1 and 13. First problem for NB 13 trucks wanting to go WB 1 is getting across the EB 1 lanes. Secondly, while there is an extended left side acceleration lane for trucks, it ends at the La Salle River long before passing lane speed is reached.
Nothing that a set of traffic lights can't fix!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Nothing that a set of traffic lights can't fix!
Who needs traffic lights anymore? Let's go low-tech and put up 4-way stop signs.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 9:32 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
And as much as we might think this would be low on the provincial priority list, if the trucking industry comes out and lobbies for this, they might actually be able to get it moving sooner than other projects (once TCH and Perimeter are done).
Honestly they may be the driving force to get TCH twinned from Falcon Lake to Renfrew (ON) eventually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Who needs traffic lights anymore? Let's go low-tech and put up 4-way stop signs.
There’s a town in Idaho that has just that.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 2:57 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.weyburnreview.com/news/l...nts-1.24295222

If SK-6 twinning continues though, I feel that the interchange with Regina Bypass was done wrong...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan