HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
No. This was one of the very few good things the city planners. Listing to people such as yourselves who are ignorant of induced demand would have been an utter disaster.

If you don't like the Arcola bridge, then don't voluntarily live in the absolute worst part of Regina!
I don't live anywhere near that part of the city but I have had the pleasure of driving in that area at rush hour.

I'm not sure if you are aware but city expansion isn't slowing down anytime soon. Just look at any city that's surrounded by open space. We aren't some special outlier case.

Perhaps people don't want to live around the crime and meth heads daily.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
No. This was one of the very few good things the city planners. Listing to people such as yourselves who are ignorant of induced demand would have been an utter disaster.

If you don't like the Arcola bridge, then don't voluntarily live in the absolute worst part of Regina!
But ma freedums /s

Seriously though, I have no sympathy for people who move out to the boonies and find that existing infrastructure can’t support your contribution to urban sprawl.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
I don't live anywhere near that part of the city but I have had the pleasure of driving in that area at rush hour.

I'm not sure if you are aware but city expansion isn't slowing down anytime soon. Just look at any city that's surrounded by open space. We aren't some special outlier case.

Perhaps people don't want to live around the crime and meth heads daily.
Ok Boomer

We wouldn’t let children use supposed popularity as an excuse for bad behavior so why do you think it’s a valid argument for adults?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Ok Boomer
Very mature and productive of you to say this.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
Mature and productive? You must have this confused with another message board.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
Lol saying "Perhaps people don't want to live around the crime and meth heads daily" is the epitome of what a stereotypical Boomer would say. They are also the generation that fast-tracked the hollowing out of city centers due to white flight to suburban areas while at the same time pressing for cuts to taxes and public services, contributing to the crime and drug use they are fleeing from. Sorry if the truth is offensive to you.

Last edited by djforsberg; Dec 12, 2019 at 4:42 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 5:03 PM

I don't like the term. But there is 100% truth to the point. In Winnipeg, people in the older generation will say don't go downtown because "nobody's there, it's too dangerous, etc, etc" While it's precisely their fault for moving out to the boonie lands en masse and abandoning downtown! Like shit. It's actually comical except for the fact that it's ridiculous.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 5:05 PM

With the influx of poverty into the Greens on Gardiner, Glen Cairn and Harbour Landing and the influx of old money into Lakeview and the Crescents I don't know if those sterotypes of 1995 still ring true.

For meth heads it is comically easy for them to waltz over to Wascana View or Lakeridge.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 5:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
With the influx of poverty into the Greens on Gardiner, Glen Cairn and Harbour Landing and the influx of old money into Lakeview and the Crescents I don't know if those sterotypes of 1995 still ring true.

For meth heads it is comically easy for them to waltz over to Wascana View or Lakeridge.
Regina is definitely doing better at developing the inner city areas than other prairie cities, that's for sure, which is why pappcam deserves ridicule for his ridiculous statement.

Last edited by djforsberg; Dec 12, 2019 at 5:35 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Ok Boomer

We wouldn’t let children use supposed popularity as an excuse for bad behavior so why do you think it’s a valid argument for adults?
Lol. Right on cue and contributing well as usual. Your stalking is pretty effen weird by the way.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 6:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Lol. Right on cue and contributing well as usual. Your stalking is pretty effen weird by the way.
Ok Boomer

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post

I'm confused by this statement. What does the "influx of poverty" mean? Glencairn perhaps because of the concentration of rentals and social housing. Greens is probably the most diverse neighbourhood in the city, economically and ethnically. There are rentals for sure but also million + dollar homes. I would hazard that there is a shift in the attitudes of homebuyers to some extent in terms of the amount of house that people want. The semi-detached townhomes and other urban designs are just not available downtown, unless you want to spend twice as much. As for old money, it's always been in the neighborhoods you mention. It's not an influx. Your point about drug use and crime are fair though!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 9:02 PM

I've read some pretty good reports in the past on why widening roads never fixes problems, and I believe it. The general idea is that when you widen roads you just get more people into vehicles. Same thing with on-street parking. The smart solution is to spend money increasing the attractiveness of mass transit.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 1:29 PM

The mayor was talking yesterday at the Chamber breakfast about road construction causing traffic delays and making for a lot of unhappy drivers.

Never once was less traffic, urban renewal, urban planning, or creating a more walkable city mentioned as a possible solution.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberrant View Post
The mayor was talking yesterday at the Chamber breakfast about road construction causing traffic delays and making for a lot of unhappy drivers.

Never once was less traffic, urban renewal, urban planning, or creating a more walkable city mentioned as a possible solution.
Of course not

By the way, do we have urban planning in Regina?? Ha!!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 2:31 PM
BANNED

I really hope someone can step up and challenge Fougre in the next municipal election (which should be in 2020 but not sure how that's going to work with the provincial election happening at the same time). Regina could do much better than that wet rag.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Of course not

By the way, do we have urban planning in Regina?? Ha!!
No but we have both Urban Barn and Urban Planet.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Lol saying "Perhaps people don't want to live around the crime and meth heads daily" is the epitome of what a stereotypical Boomer would say. They are also the generation that fast-tracked the hollowing out of city centers due to white flight to suburban areas while at the same time pressing for cuts to taxes and public services, contributing to the crime and drug use they are fleeing from. Sorry if the truth is offensive to you.
There are productive ways to disagree with people, and there are unproductive ways. You often choose the latter.

If your point is to point out that you're able to offend people, then mission accomplished. If your point is to get people to begin to rethink things, then your mission is a dismal failure.

I'm not a boomer and personally, I really don't care what you think of me, but your generally unproductive attitude on here makes me start from a position of dismissal of your opinions. That probably means that posting on here as you currently do isn't the most productive use of your time.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 2:50 PM

Politicians give the public what it wants.

I don't sense a strong demand for quality public transit in this city. At the beginning, it would be a significant cost. Perhaps in the long run, enough demand could be induced that it would be highly cost-effective, but it will be a risk. Regina really isn't that large yet.

Of course, one day we will have a million people, even if it is in the distant future, and we are going to have to figure this all out eventually, but politicians in democratic societies do what will get them elected, not necessarily what is the best thing for the jurisdiction they are voted to represent. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times (of which I'm aware) when politicians have done the right thing even though it would likely cost them an election.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 2:57 PM

The two biggest complaints City Hall recieves are: my taxes are too high and I want more services.

You cannot win.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan