HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 8:48 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

San Antonio | UIW Medical building | 10 FLOORS | Proposed

This is part of larger medical school campus.

Quote:
A medical school in the heart of San Antonio’s downtown that would share a campus with a public magnet school for health care careers took a big step forward Monday night. The school would serve, geographically and ecumenically, as the center of a growing downtown medical district by knitting together six different public and private hospitals and clinics.

San Antonio Independent School District trustees voted unanimously at the district’s board meeting Monday to enter into a non-binding agreement with the University of Incarnate Word to lease three acres of the former Fox Tech High School athletic complex as the site for the medical school and a 500-unit parking garage.

Medical presence in the urban core

Quote:
The UIW medical school would be within easy walking distance of the Children’s Hospital of San Antonio, the Baptist Medical Center, University Health System’s Robert B. Green Clinic, and the city’s Metro Health Clinic. The Nix Medical Center and Metropolitan Methodist Hospital also would be minutes away.
Parking

Quote:
The city and county will have to buy in at a significant level to make the downtown medical school a reality. Bexar County is being asked to contribute $5 million, half the cost of the $10 million parking garage, with UIW providing the other half for a jointly owned private-public facility. One enticement for the county is the parking garage’s adjacency to the country’s $175 million planned redevelopment of San Pedro Creek. Visitors would be able to park less than a block from the Creek Walk.
Streets

Quote:
The City is being asked to contribute $7 million for streets, sidewalks and utilities. Under the current proposed plan, a new street would be cut through the former Fox Tech campus, connecting North Flores and Main Streets to Cameron Street and the proposed redeveloped San Pedro Creek, and at the eastern end of the campus to the proposed Romano Circle (see rendering).
Uniqueness

Quote:
The medical school would be only the second private medical school in the Southwest after Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 8:56 PM

My opinion:

Love it.

The design is "UIW" so it's cool seeing them keep to their school look with a building in the downtown area.

Love the 500-space parking garage and the future 1,000 space parking garage. This will be greatly needed when the San Pedro Creek redevelopment is finished.

Love that the roundabout is happening. Wasn't sure if that was going to be chosen.

Love that the streetcar will be just a qrt mile away.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 9:50 PM

I posted this comment on the Rivard Report Facebook post, but I'll add it to this site as well.

I very much like the proposed Master Plan they posted...with 1 exception. Please don't add a new road through the campus. More streets will only make the campus less walkable and less inviting. Pedestrian friendly tree lined walk ways and bike paths through the future campus and access to the soon to be redeveloped San Pedro Creek would be ideal to help see this area of downtown to its full potential. The North and West quadrants of the campus are closely surrounded by above ground freeways already...this campus needs an inviting feel to really help it be part of the community...and to spur on future development in the surround area.

That's my 2 cents. Besides that, I think this a great idea.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreininger View Post
I posted this comment on the Rivard Report Facebook post, but I'll add it to this site as well.

I very much like the proposed Master Plan they posted...with 1 exception. Please don't add a new road through the campus. More streets will only make the campus less walkable and less inviting. Pedestrian friendly tree lined walk ways and bike paths through the future campus and access to the soon to be redeveloped San Pedro Creek would be ideal to help see this area of downtown to its full potential. The North and West quadrants of the campus are closely surrounded by above ground freeways already...this campus needs an inviting feel to really help it be part of the community...and to spur on future development in the surround area.

That's my 2 cents. Besides that, I think this a great idea.
It looks like Medical Arts Blvd will have a tree lined median and have wide sidewalks.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 10:23 PM
James

I too feel there are too many streets. I say only keep Flores and that's it. It does seem very unfriendly towards pedestrians to be a campus. Other than that, I think it's a great addition to the downtown core.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 11:54 PM

I also love this proposal. Not only does it give students in the SAISD a sort of path to lead them to the university, but it also adds more people and jobs downtown.

I wonder what kind of other developments this may attract on that part of downtown.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 6:05 AM
Meh

Whoa, that's pretty cool. It should fit right in and complement the Main Library.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 5:54 AM

I think that it's a good point that there is an awful lot of asphalt in that plan. It certainly would feel more campus like to get rid of most of it.

It feels a little odd that UIW is doing this and the partnership seems odd as well.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
I think that it's a good point that there is an awful lot of asphalt in that plan. It certainly would feel more campus like to get rid of most of it.

It feels a little odd that UIW is doing this and the partnership seems odd as well.
I see one added street with a tree lined median. Not that big of a deal.

Also, you never know, a small street may close for future development. The one between San Pedro Ave and the Fox Tech music building is a prime candidate.

But even if it isn't. I think this is more fitting for an urban downtown environment. Wide sidewalks, store front development, etc. In the less urban areas, park like campuses work well.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 12:49 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I see one added street with a tree lined median. Not that big of a deal.

I think this is more fitting for an urban downtown environment. Wide sidewalks, store front development, etc. In the less urban areas, park like campuses work well.
I agree 100%. We've closed or narrowed so many streets due to this development or that development. As the downtown grows, and traffic grows, we may find that maybe we shouldn't have been so quick to do so. It's about time we start adding streets. Skybridges would be a good compromise.

Last edited by Fireoutofclay; Sep 14, 2013 at 5:59 AM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 4:08 PM

Where the track currently is it looks like they are paving over the area between the 2 south buildings. It looks like they are paving over the whole site, really. Lots of new impervious cover. This is South Texas; it's hot. Really hot. Those sites are already surrounded by roads.

I don't think they should close Flores, just not pave the areas between the proposed developed buildings. Obviously there would be walkways, but it could be much more pleasant with sidewalks, trees and green areas.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 8:40 PM

I like it... looks like something you would see in Monterrey, MX.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 8:48 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I like it... looks like something you would see in Monterrey, MX.
That's exactly what I thought.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2013, 5:01 PM

It also looks like the main library too, at least with the color scheme.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 7:08 AM

Quote:
The City Council voted unanimously Thursday to approve a $7.7 million funding agreement for infrastructure improvements and job incentives, some of which will literally help pave the way for the University of the Incarnate Word to build an osteopathic medical school in downtown San Antonio.

Mayor Julián Castro said the medical school fits a vision of San Antonio with more higher education and graduate-level opportunities. Councilman Diego Bernal, in whose district the school would be located, called it a “huge win for downtown.”

Last month, UIW signed a letter of intent with the San Antonio Independent School District to lease up to three acres of Fox Tech High School's unused athletic fields to build the medical school.

The city funding agreement includes $6.9 million to construct a new two-lane road to be called Medical Arts Boulevard, which would extend from Camaron Street toward Soledad Street, to extend a water line, and to make improvements to North Flores Street from West Quincy Street toward the Fox Tech campus, according to council documents.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio