HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Well it seems as if the Embassy Suites is finishing up for a late Summer opening, Indigo at Alamo Plaza is doing well since it's opening, Towneplace Suites will open later this year and the Kress Building facade is being worked on for Texas de Brazil. As if all of that wasn't good enough for now, it seems that the proposed Aloft has come back to life in the form of an agreement for leased sidewalk space for valet parking. Its on the council agenda this week.
That would be a nice addition to Houston St.

Maybe now with the addition of these hotels, it might start to see some foot traffic.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 9:08 PM

I did these very rough renders in Sketchup a few years ago to show the approximate massing and location-- don't know why I never posted them here. You can see that even at 187 feet it dwarfs the Maverick. I think the pool might be in the semi-enclosed space underneath the blue awning. No way to tell from the drawings.

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 10:12 PM

Looks like its the exact same height as the Emily Morgan so it should work wonderfully on Houston street and in the general area.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 11:57 PM
Liberator.

Location: San Antonio,(born) Arlington Heights, Ill.(Chicagoland)
There needs to be a push and an understanding that there are still many advantages to building not just necessarily along the Riverwalk but anywhere in downtown itself. Growth needs to be pulled out and away from the Riverwalk in order for there to be reasons enough to build not just a couple of blocks away from the Riverwalk, but even up to 10 or 15 blocks in a radius from the Riverwalk. Some call this type of growth, "smart growth". Aloft, is just one of those fine examples that allow for more growth further away from the Riverwalk. The more reasons that people have to build not just along The Riverwalk, but away from it, also should provide an impetus for more investment at any point within downtown. It's a like a monopoly game in a way, the more "hotels" or "larger businesses" that are built in any given area, for example, Broadway Street, the more other types of "houses" or "smaller businesses" are built around them. It is a proven science not just on the game board, but in real life. By the way, I like the design of the proposed Aloft, however, I wish that the final design was already in the works. I love the location close to the Alamo, close to Rivercenter Mall(being remodeled), close to many fine restaurants, close to 3 hospitals(Santa Rosa, Baptist Health, proposed new University Hospital), close to museums(San Antonio Museum of Art, Children's Musuem, Institute of Texan Cultures), close to a popular night life, and close to The Majestic Theatre among many other things. Call H.E.B. for a downtown Central Market!!!

Go Spurs (NBA) , Go Talons (arena football) , Go Scorpions (soccer) , Go UTSA Roadrunners (college football) , Go Rampage (hockey)

Last edited by max7; Jun 15, 2010 at 1:20 AM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 3:09 AM
Let's Eat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by max7 View Post
There needs to be a push and an understanding that there are still many advantages to building not just necessarily along the Riverwalk but anywhere in downtown itself. Growth needs to be pulled out and away from the Riverwalk in order for there to be reasons enough to build not just a couple of blocks away from the Riverwalk, but even up to 10 or 15 blocks in a radius from the Riverwalk. Some call this type of growth, "smart growth". Aloft, is just one of those fine examples that allow for more growth further away from the Riverwalk. The more reasons that people have to build not just along The Riverwalk, but away from it, also should provide an impetus for more investment at any point within downtown. It's a like a monopoly game in a way, the more "hotels" or "larger businesses" that are built in any given area, for example, Broadway Street, the more other types of "houses" or "smaller businesses" are built around them. It is a proven science not just on the game board, but in real life. By the way, I like the design of the proposed Aloft, however, I wish that the final design was already in the works. I love the location close to the Alamo, close to Rivercenter Mall(being remodeled), close to many fine restaurants, close to 3 hospitals(Santa Rosa, Baptist Health, proposed new University Hospital), close to museums(San Antonio Museum of Art, Children's Musuem, Institute of Texan Cultures), close to a popular night life, and close to The Majestic Theatre among many other things. Call H.E.B. for a downtown Central Market!!!
So very true!!! And a downtown Central Market by HEB would be great!! Make it a framers market meets tex-mex flavor/style.

But dose anyone have any new news on the proposal???

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari82 View Post

But dose anyone have any new news on the proposal???

The DT blog focuses on what seems like the first move to finally getting this project going....

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/downtow...-construction/
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 9:47 PM
Endless Moments...

I read that today. It would be kewl if it started going up.
Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
The DT blog focuses on what seems like the first move to finally getting this project going....

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/downtow...-construction/
Good! About damn time... Aloft downtown would be great, by far my favorite hotel brand. Heres to hoping this is finally starting up.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio