HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 8:34 PM

boy does something need to happen with kapyong.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 9:16 PM
Armchair urbanist

Speaking of which...
Quote:

Activists protest delay over Kapyong housing

By: Mary Agnes Welch

20/11/2009 1:00 AM | Comments: 16

The vacant houses at Kapyong barracks sparked a war of words Thursday, and today they'll prompt a protest in front of Treasury Board president Vic Toews' office.

"They are a glaring example of the federal government's inaction on housing," said Ellen Kruger, spokesperson for the Right to Housing Coalition. "It's shameful."

Well over 100 homes, known as the permanent married quarters or PMQs, have stood empty for five years, ever since soldiers vacated the base on Kenaston Boulevard. Housing advocates have long demanded the homes be rented out to needy families instead of being left to deteriorate, mired in bureaucratic delays and now caught up in a First Nations land claim.

Toews, who has argued First Nations have no claim on Kapyong, said in an email statement Thursday that a court challenge launched by seven First Nations effectively bars Ottawa from taking action on the houses.

"The Government of Canada cannot act in a manner that is inconsistent with the decision that is under appeal," said Toews.

And he said it's the First Nations who are holding up a plan to make use of the vacant houses.

"As for whether the government of Canada can provide the housing to the First Nations claimants, by moving it off the site, we have asked the First Nations to agree to that, and to provide the housing to them free of charge if they paid the moving costs. They have refused to amend their claim to allow that to occur," wrote Toews.

Winnipeg South Centre Liberal MP Anita Neville said the issue calls for cool-headed negotiation instead of inflammatory language. Housing advocates agreed, and lawyer Norm Boudreau, who acts for the bands, said Toews' arguments are bunk.

In late September, a federal court judge ruled that Ottawa had failed to properly consult with First Nations and had to do so before selling Kapyong. Ottawa recently appealed that ruling, further delaying progress on Kapyong, said Boudreau.

The ruling only applies to the working part of the base -- the warehouses and drill halls and offices. The houses haven't started to move through Ottawa's long surplus land disposal process, which would trigger consultations. So, Ottawa can do anything it likes with the homes, including renting them out, said Boudreau.

Peguis Chief Glenn Hudson, whose band is one of the seven First Nations claiming Kapyong, said the issue of moving the homes is a red herring. The bands don't want the homes to be moved onto reserves -- it's too costly. Instead, they want to help develop Kapyong.

"We're looking for the best opportunity for all Winnipeggers and for our people," said Hudson.

Frustrated with the morass, housing advocates are staging another picket today at 3 p.m. on Kenaston. And, they're heading to Toews constituency office in Steinbach in hopes of meeting with him.

The coalition estimates the houses have cost taxpayers $7.5 million the since they were left vacant, including maintenance and lost rent.

maryagnes.welch@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 2:57 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

IKEA to anchor high-end retail complex
Sod turned for huge Seasons of Tuxedo development

By: Bartley Kives

21/11/2009 7:50 AM | Comments: 0
Print E–mail Share ThisReport Error DORSKY HODGSON PARRISH YUE ARCHITECTS Enlarge Image

Seasons of Tuxedo, shown in drawings, is touted as ‘unique’ shopping centre.
ALTHOUGH Winnipeg won't be getting a domed stadium, the city can look forward to a mall beneath some form of dome.

The latest site design for the IKEA-led Sea­sons of Tuxedo development diverges slightly from the big-box norm, as a high-concept mall with 150,000 square feet of space protected from the elements is planned for the north side of Sterling Lyon Parkway.

The mall is part of a 1.5-million-square-foot commercial development that formally got underway at a Friday-morning sod-turning ceremony attended by Premier Greg Selinger, Mayor Sam Katz and co-developers IKEA Can­ada and Fairweather Properties.

Michael Nozick, Fairweather's president, said the shopping centre is being designed with landscaping and other features to minimize the effects of a Winnipeg winter.

"If I used the word 'dome,' that would be a little bit of an exaggeration. That's close, (as) it will be out of the effects of winter," he said.

Just like David Asper's Creswin Properties, which is trying to assemble tenants for an up­scale mall called The Elms at Polo Park, Fair­weather wants to create some form of shopping destination that will be unique in the Winnipeg market and draw in tourists from across Mani­toba and neighbouring states and provinces.

"This won't be just a strip mall. This will be something far more exciting," Nozick said. "It will be a form of mall unique to anywhere. I don't think it's in North America, what we're planning."

But he also claimed Seasons of Tuxedo is not competing directly with The Elms, a smaller project whose success hinges on Creswin's abil­ity to land higher-end department stores as an­chor tenants.

"If they can get that upper-end retail seg­ment to come to Winnipeg, that's tremendous­ly beneficial for our city. We're not talking to Nordstrom or Nieman Marcus. They're not on our agenda at all," Nozick said.

"I don't see us as competitive. Their project has its issues and they'll have to deal with those. We have IKEA."

The 350,000-square-foot IKEA store that will serve as the anchor tenant at Seasons of Tux­edo is now slated to open no earlier than 2012, Nozick said. Retailers in other components of the development may open sooner, he added.

He declined to name any specific retailers, but pledged to announce some names in 2010.

Mayor Katz, however, has one name on his wish list.

"It's called Justice. They make children's clothing," said the father of two.

Water and sewer work on the Seasons of Tux­edo development will begin next week, followed by roadwork in 2010.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique View Post

boy does something need to happen with kapyong.

You are so right, and Wow! That aerial shot really puts the scale of this development into perspective.

Photo Gallery: kengillespie.com
My Photo Blog

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 6:34 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

bleh thats going to kill st james polo area

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 9:31 PM

i like the fact that there is a herd of bison (fort whyte alive) grazing right next door to this massive megalopolis shopping power centre that is kenaston blvd. i'm not sure any city can say they have that? very manitoba!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique View Post
i like the fact that there is a herd of bison (fort whyte alive) grazing right next door to this massive megalopolis shopping power centre that is kenaston blvd. i'm not sure any city can say they have that? very manitoba!
Not to mention the free roaming deer population, if they only new what was in store for them.

Photo Gallery: kengillespie.com
My Photo Blog

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 12:08 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
Actually , it will probably have the opposite effect. Instead of having just one super-node of retail in the Polo Park area , the whole of Kenaston is being turned into a node in itself. A crowd attracts a crowd.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 4:36 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Actually , it will probably have the opposite effect. Instead of having just one super-node of retail in the Polo Park area , the whole of Kenaston is being turned into a node in itself. A crowd attracts a crowd.
I hope so, it'd be nice for these new developments to build and expand the retail industry, rather than suck the life out of existing areas. I understand the latter will occur in some form, but hopefully not to overly detrimental effects.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 9:28 PM

anyone know if transit service will be improved in this area when the development occurs I for one am baffled that there are so few #78 buses that go out to kenaston and there are none during weekends.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 12:56 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
anyone know if transit service will be improved in this area when the development occurs I for one am baffled that there are so few #78 buses that go out to kenaston and there are none during weekends.
They are planning a bus loop within the development, so I would think there will be more than one bus servicing this major development.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 3:19 AM
Armchair urbanist

The 78 is a horrible service imo. There exists a need for an express through the area, along with a route servicing the local neighborhood. The 78 seems to service both.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 4:36 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
You're really surprised?

The only people riding those buses are some of the 9-5 workers along that small industrial stretch of Kenaston from Sterling Lyon to the Power centre retail.

Most of the people that shop along this stretch during the weekend and in the evenings wouldn't be caught dead on a transit bus, and I would assume the same is true of most of the people working these stores.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 5:28 AM

Quote:
On the City's website it states that all day service will be provided by the 78. Like that bus doesn't do enough zigging and zagging already. I'm of the opinion that a cross town route should be as direct as possible and smaller routes should feed off it. Currently it's the only bus planned, no bus loop, just bus stops.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 7:02 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
polo at least i can take a bus and be there in 20

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
The 78 is a horrible service imo. There exists a need for an express through the area, along with a route servicing the local neighborhood. The 78 seems to service both.
Low-density sprawling retail developments are never going to garner much transit ridership, save some of the 9 - 5 crowd. Now, if they were building considerable amounts of higher-density residential with this project, then maybe.

Besides, who takes the bus to ikea? We're all too cheap to pay for delivery!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 3:39 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

pfft why would i go to ikea when i can get real furniture for free

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 11:12 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
pfft why would i go to ikea when i can get real furniture for free

Where would one get free "real" furniture?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 4:15 AM
Back from the dead

^Beavers.
Beavers make their own homes. They're master carpenters and man , if you get a beaver to make a chair for you , it's the last chair you'll ever need.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
can't winnipeg have more than one shopping area? its big enough isn't it?

most stores open multiple locations usually

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan