HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 4:21 AM

There is a drive-thru right there that I imagine causes problems.

Also, I think that particular render is not illustrative of the space available It seems pretty tight.

Last edited by Geebrr; Aug 29, 2018 at 1:39 PM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 2:12 PM
Formerly rypinion

I'd much rather see some retooling of the intersection first before any more investment went in there. There's got to be a way to make it less freeway-like.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 2:36 PM

^ It would be nice to see a comprehensive traffic and land-use plan for Confusion Corner. That area could use a long term vision to build towards as opposed to just letting things happen on a piecemeal basis.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 5:40 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
O Station Cafe
Super cool that they made reference to the BRT station.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 5:44 PM

There's an upcoming functional design study for replacing the underpass. It should also include a look at the roadways and how they function.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 6:09 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ It would be nice to see a comprehensive traffic and land-use plan for Confusion Corner. That area could use a long term vision to build towards as opposed to just letting things happen on a piecemeal basis.
The Corydon-Osborne neighbourhood plan includes a discussion of transportation and land use at Confusion Corner. I think land use is pretty stable, but transportation is definitely still a work in progress. I've posted some pictures they included in the plan and its appendix, which includes a double roundabout thing. But they do note that "the adjacent illustration highlights
the roundabouts proposed for further investigation, so it's just one idea so far it seems:

From http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/doce...6351&DocType=C and https://winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/ViewPdf....ctionId=385418

CO1 by Glass_City, on Flickr

CO2 by Glass_City, on Flickr

COA1 by Glass_City, on Flickr

COA2 by Glass_City, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 6:24 PM

^ Thanks for posting that, I completely forgot about it. I like the idea of reconfiguring Confusion Corner but I have my doubts about the double roundabout... it looks like a recipe for gridlock. But certainly the idea of mid/highrise TOD along the busway makes eminent good sense.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 6:26 PM
Formerly rypinion

Is that... two roundabouts?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 6:42 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
^ Thanks for posting that, I completely forgot about it. I like the idea of reconfiguring Confusion Corner but I have my doubts about the double roundabout... it looks like a recipe for gridlock. But certainly the idea of mid/highrise TOD along the busway makes eminent good sense.
I have my doubts about it too, but more so from the perspective of how pedestrians will navigate it. But given that at the moment it's just a couple rough circles on a small-scale map, it's hard to look too far into it from either perspective.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 6:53 PM

^ Yes, I think you're right... it's probably just meant to emphasize the idea that the junction should be redesigned as opposed to an actual plan. But it's nice to know that at least it's on the radar.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 12:22 AM

What ended up happening with that new area plan? I know they removed duplexes as a conditional use in the low-density section, which is pretty frustrating. Did the plan get gutted even further by city council? I haven't been following it nearly as closely as I should have been...

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 2:28 AM

Someone mentioned on hear about a year ago the idea of tunnelling Pembina under Confusion Corner to eventually meet up with Donald where it becomes 2-way. I think that'd be the best idea, yes I know insanely expensive. HOWEVER – if the underpass needs to be redone, maybe it's not that cray to explore the idea.

Then completely reconfigure the area to have a much more pedestrian/local-area feel, and you could open up a lot more opportunity and interest in mid-high density residential development. Essentially, turn it back to the 50s when Corydon & Osborne actually converged, without a thoroughfare in the middle. Could also stand to benefit transit/RT greatly as it's such a weird setup with the transit islands & busy stops a block away from the RT station.

I think this is a project/task worth throwing some sort of design competition to completely reimagine the corner. Along the lines of what's been done in the past for P&M, The Forks, Alexander Docks, etc.

PS – I would LOVE if "O Station" became a thing. Also, Transit NEEDS to stop using the term "Osborne Junction" and say Confusion Corner. That's what people call it – could be like our Picadilly Circus. I guarantee you if someone from out of town asked a local who doesn't take transit where Osborne Junction is, they'd be clueless. Or say "I think that's the building with the big Independent Jewellers billboard."

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 7:57 PM

Phase 2

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 5:06 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Someone mentioned on hear about a year ago the idea of tunnelling Pembina under Confusion Corner to eventually meet up with Donald where it becomes 2-way. I think that'd be the best idea, yes I know insanely expensive. HOWEVER – if the underpass needs to be redone, maybe it's not that cray to explore the idea.
The city actually has exactly that plan but the money simply isn't there. Well, I shouldn't say exactly because I've never seen anything but I recall some guy from the planning department discussing that junction at one point and basically saying that ideally they'd planned to put a grade separation there but the funding has and probably will never materialize.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 12:43 PM

Well, no one's ever going to call Osborne Place the prettiest development in town, but I do at least appreciate the fact that it's a big step toward making Confusion Corner a real place of its own instead of just a crossroads you have to pass through to get somewhere else. I always thought it was a little odd that such a high profile urban junction really didn't have any proper urban buildings besides the one with the big billboard on it.

I'm glad to see phase 2 set to rise so soon after the first building. That's a pretty impressive accomplishment for a small local developer (at least that's what I'm assuming to be the case here...).

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 1:18 PM
Ignore these four words.

I believe that first elevation picture is actually facing Southwest from about Burger King. Just sayin'.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.87473...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Well, no one's ever going to call Osborne Place the prettiest development in town, but I do at least appreciate the fact that it's a big step toward making Confusion Corner a real place of its own instead of just a crossroads you have to pass through to get somewhere else. I always thought it was a little odd that such a high profile urban junction really didn't have any proper urban buildings besides the one with the big billboard on it.
Agreed. One of the many examples as how the city of Winnipeg wastes inner-city space. In this case, Winnipeg has ignored this predominant location for the past 30 years. I'm glad that something is getting built, and dare I say it; is that decent TOD I finally spy?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 5:00 PM
What could go wrong?

Too bad it wasn't more in line with this concept

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 5:54 PM
the first stamp is free

^ that rendering is too far off the "boxy chic" look that Winnipeg has embraced for the past 120 years.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ that rendering is too far off the "boxy chic" look that Winnipeg has embraced for the past 120 years.

That tower Biff posted looks like an absolute showpiece... it's hard to imagine whatever random staffing agency or insurance broker looking for space at Confusion Corner would pay the rent to get into that thing!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan