HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 9:19 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I see no reason why we would assume that most people living in Johannesburg speak English and not the same of Lagos. It is far more likely that most people in Lagos speak English, and people who don't speak English live in rural villages.
I mean I have been directly told that it’s very difficult to get by outside of tourist and expat areas in Lagos without knowledge of Yoruba or at the very least the Yoruba/Igbo/English Pidgin. By Nigerians. If you are there on business you’d probably be fine with English but supposedly it’s difficult to leave that bubble. Also when my filmmaker friends from SA have been there they have had a translator, plus an armed detail.

This isn’t really the case in Johannesburg. While local slang and Township specific dialects exist, it’s perfectly easy to converse with the majority of Joburgers in English. The exception would be in heavily immigrant areas (of which there’s one for almost every population group you can imagine, including a Chinatown) or some informal settlements where the population has recently moved from rural SA.

There are of course also different historical reasons in the way both countries were colonized. The British originally envisioned a united South Africa along the lines of another Australia or Canada (obviously a lot happened with that...), while Nigeria was seen as a state for resource extraction. Hence why they empowered the northern Hausa tribes as opposed to the southern population that already largely lived in an organized agricultural / small urban setting based society and likely would have adopted the British system easily. Of course that’s a whole other thing.

Last edited by niwell; Sep 25, 2019 at 10:03 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 12:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
No he is saying Sandelton looks like Boise or Tempe, and I agree
Ahh, I misread his post, thank you! It must be an awesome place then!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 2:02 AM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Ahh, I misread his post, thank you! It must be an awesome place then!
I dunno, sandton central may be too urban for you. People may ask for money at intersections. There’s even an underground mass transit station. The horror.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 3:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I dunno, sandton central may be too urban for you. People may ask for money at intersections. There’s even an underground mass transit station. The horror.
Are you trying to insult me for no reason? Odd.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 4:19 AM

Quote:
It's what the cool kids do these days.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 2:28 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Nah, just poking fun at your love of suburbia and the idea in this thread that Sandton ranks somewhere up near Boise in terms of importance.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 4:55 PM

I hadn't even heard of the city Sandton til today

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 5:31 PM

Quote:
You've clearly never been to Tempe.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Nah, just poking fun at your love of suburbia and the idea in this thread that Sandton ranks somewhere up near Boise in terms of importance.
Tempe has a 2018 GDP of nearly 3.5 Billion with 250k people

the Total GDP province of Gauteng including all of Johannesburg and Sandton is 76 billion with 14 million people

Tempe has almost triple the GDP per Capita that the principal city in all of Southern Africa does.

Or to put it another way, Johannesburg has 56x the amount of people but only 22x the economic impact, The state of Arizona where Tempe is has a higher GDP than the entire nation of South Africa with only 7 million people.

Its amazing how many people have a hard time understanding just how truly gargantuan the US economy is.

Last edited by Obadno; Sep 26, 2019 at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Tempe has a 2018 GDP of nearly 3.5 Billion with 250k people

the Total GDP province of Gauteng including all of Johannesburg and Sandton is 76 billion with 14 million people

Tempe has almost triple the GDP per Capita that the principal city in all of Southern Africa does.

Or to put it another way, Johannesburg has 56x the amount of people but only 22x the economic impact, The state of Arizona where Tempe is has a higher GDP than the entire nation of South Africa with only 7 million people.

Its amazing how many people have a hard time understanding just how truly gargantuan the US economy is.
OTOH, we'd actually notice if Johannesburg disappeared...

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 6:24 PM

Quote:
OTOH, we'd actually notice if Johannesburg disappeared...
Total imports and exports to South Africa from the USA is just shy of 19 billion dollars a year

Total us trade including all imports and exports is 4.2 trillion

The entire value of trade with South Africa accounts for .0045% of us trade which in turn only accounts for about 8-10% of the us economy depending on how you tabulate it.

Total impact of all if South Africa disappeared tomorrow would hit the us economy by 0.00095%

So other than being on the news all day it’s impact on the USA is basically nothing

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Total imports and exports to South Africa from the USA is just shy of 19 billion dollars a year

Total us trade including all imports and exports is 4.2 trillion

The entire value of trade with South Africa accounts for .0045% of us trade which in turn only accounts for about 8-10% of the us economy depending on how you tabulate it.

Total impact of all if South Africa disappeared tomorrow would hit the us economy by 0.00095%

So other than being on the news all day it’s impact on the USA is basically nothing
I've spent more time this week thinking about Sandton than I have ever spent in my entire life thinking about Tempe. I would notice if Sandton's gone now.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 6:38 PM

Quote:
I've spent more time this week thinking about Sandton than I have ever spent in my entire life thinking about Tempe.
Okay? Thanks for not making any points.

If Tempe disappeared the impact on the us economy would be greater than that of the entirety of South Africa disappearing considering the unemployment, loss of assets and raw economic impact it would have directly to the us vs the small trade value.

It’s kind of a stupid question though as Sandton is not going to become Manhattan and nobody outside the Johannesburg area will ever care about it.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 6:40 PM

Quote:
If Tempe disappeared the impact on the us economy would be greater than that of the entirety of South Africa disappearing considering the unemployment
But would it? I think we'd somehow figure out how to survive without Tempe. There might actually be something of critical importance to us in South Africa...

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 6:42 PM

Quote:
But would it? I think we'd somehow figure out how to survive without Tempe. There might actually be something of critical importance to us in South Africa...
I didn’t say it would be insurmountable simply a bigger impact than South Africa

There is no critical resource unique to South Africa that would be impossible to replace

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 6:56 PM

Quote:
There is no critical resource unique to South Africa that would be impossible to replace
Are you sure? There must be a reason why the Dutch and British fought over it so much. Has anyone really fought over Tempe?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Are you sure? There must be a reason why the Dutch and British fought over it so much. Has anyone really fought over Tempe?
Absolutely sure what an idiotic question if the United States was a small European nation it would have critical colonial interests but as a giant continent in and of ourselves (with Mexico and Canada being half of all our international trade they are included in our economic system) there is nothing we “need” from South Africa.

How the hell can you even ask such a dumb question? why would two European rival nations fight over a resource rich colony vs a 250k person farming community/university town that’s had recent success in tech and financial office development and has never existed outside of the us’s jurisdiction as a city?

Why are you intentionally obtuse?

Let’s do some basic math:

Total value of ALL goods and services traded with South Africa 19 billion + sad feelings

Vs

3.5 billion dollar impact of all goods and services+ 250,000 American citizens gone (and their assets) + all of the companies hq’d (and their assets) + the value of all the property within the city limits + the unemployment if everyone who worked in Tempe or for a Tempe company losing their employment + a major university + sad feelings

Yeah the impact of this fantasy scenario would be a much bigger deal to the USA if Tempe disappeared vs South Africa

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Absolutely sure what an idiotic question if the United States was a small European nation it would have critical colonial interests but as a giant continent in and of ourselves (with Mexico and Canada being half of all our international trade they are included in our economic system) there is nothing we “need” from South Africa.

How the hell can you even ask such a dumb question? why would two European rival nations fight over a resource rich colony vs a 250k person farming community/university town that’s had recent success in tech and financial office development and has never existed outside of the us’s jurisdiction as a city?

Why are you intentionally obtuse?

Let’s do some basic math:

Total value of ALL goods and services traded with South Africa 19 billion + sad feelings

Vs

3.5 billion dollar impact of all goods and services+ 250,000 American citizens gone (and their assets) + all of the companies hq’d (and their assets) + the value of all the property within the city limits + the unemployment if everyone who worked in Tempe or for a Tempe company losing their employment + a major university + sad feelings

Yeah the impact of this fantasy scenario would be a much bigger deal to the USA if Tempe disappeared vs South Africa
What companies are headquartered in Tempe?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:14 PM
devout Pizzatarian

oooooohhhhhhhh........ this is something new.

just when you thought SSP had covered every possible urban topic under the sun over the past 2 decades........

we get Sandton vs. Tempe!

what?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
oooooohhhhhhhh........ this is something new.

just when you thought SSP had covered every possible urban topic under the sun over the past 2 decades........

we get Sandton vs. Tempe!
Gotta keep you guys on your toes!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions