HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 3:34 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Is the 8 storey KNH/Northern Sky condo building still alive.......pending parking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
From what I understand, the cinder block building that sits on that lot is currently being fixed up to be used as indoor parking for the 128 James Loftwork development.

I suspect it's a "temporary" solution pending a permanent parking solution in the area.
I wouldn't say the condo building at James and Bertha is as "dead" as the Qualico development on the opposite end of the block, but its no where close to becoming a reality at this point. The presence of a parkade would absolutely help its chances though.

And yes, the existing single story warehouse building will be partially used for indoor parking in the very near future.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 3:38 PM

This is one of the 7 buildings that was part of District Condos. This is not on the east side in that empty surface lot. This is west of it where a red, one story, building is currently at. I'm guessing they would demolish that red building to make room for this one. Again, I bet this proposal wont fly until shovels hit the ground for the parkade.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 3:45 PM

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 3:45 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDavid Exchange View Post

This is one of the 7 buildings that was part of District Condos. This is not on the east side in that empty surface lot. This is west of it where a red, one story, building is currently at. I'm guessing they would demolish that red building to make room for this one. Again, I bet this proposal wont fly until shovels hit the ground for the parkade.
No - this building was not part of the Qualico development. It is from an independent developer. It is the condo building Biff and I were discussing that is proposed to be located on the west side of the intersection of James and Bertha.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
No - this building was not part of the Qualico development. It is from an independent developer. It is the condo building Biff and I were discussing that is proposed to be located on the west side of the intersection of James and Bertha.
OH. Was there ever a rendering?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 3:55 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
OH. Was there ever a rendering?
Yes - it's the picture you attached...

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 3:59 PM

Quote:
128 James Avenue was developed by Veritas not Streetside. They own that property and 120 James (it is currently that red single story building with no windows). Their condos did not sell the greatest and had to rent some units out. That likely caused them to reconsider or delay the construction of that building at 120(the rendering).

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 4:16 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldSmith View Post
128 James Avenue was developed by Veritas not Streetside. They own that property and 120 James (it is currently that red single story building with no windows). Their condos did not sell the greatest and had to rent some units out. That likely caused them to reconsider or delay the construction of that building at 120(the rendering).
Let's just say that I am very aware of the goings on at 128 and 120 James (I work at 128 James)...

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 4:23 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Let's just say that I am very aware of the goings on at 128 and 120 James (I work at 128 James)...
I like how they are arguing with YOU about it.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 4:31 PM

Quote:
What is the rendering from the photo that's marked “cancelled”? The sidebar to it is noted as “Streetscaping”.

On that note, is James slated for streetscaping? Also, any thoughts as to what will be done with Elgin behind 132 James and 133 Market. It seems to be considered a street, but has an appearance of an alley with old rail lines running down it.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 4:44 PM

i heard rumors yesterday that sky underground parking lot had a watermain break last week? and filled 3 feet of water!! anyone living there confirm that? wonder if the construction on sky2 or mere hotel had anything to do with that....

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 4:48 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
On that note, is James slated for streetscaping? Also, any thoughts as to what will be done with Elgin behind 132 James and 133 Market. It seems to be considered a street, but has an appearance of an alley with old rail lines running down it.
It's a weird situation. It certainly looks like an alley, but the city considers it a street.

Because of this, every condo development along Market and James that backs onto Elgin requires a variance to not require some sort of minimum 20-foot clearance for residential buildings.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctochico View Post
i heard rumors yesterday that sky underground parking lot had a watermain break last week? and filled 3 feet of water!! anyone living there confirm that? wonder if the construction on sky2 or mere hotel had anything to do with that....
Yes, that's what happened, on the Saturday of August Long Weekend. Well, not certain about the 3 feet of water, I think 3 inches is more correct. My bike was down there and the water line was just a few inches up the tire (I could be wrong though about the height of the water - I was not in town when it happened).

We currently get our water from the fire hydrant behind the building - they've temporarily connected our water supply to it.

The parkade just opened up for parking again a couple of days ago for the majority of people. All last week people were parking on the streets or in lots. My spot is right where the water main break was - I'll be out of an underground spot for much longer.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 5:11 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Because of this, every condo development along Market and James that backs onto Elgin requires a variance to not require some sort of minimum 20-foot clearance for residential buildings.
Good old City of Winnipeg entitlement. They really need to do something about the number of variances needed to develop in Downtown. Even with a different Downtown Zoning bylaw, getting entitled is still such a huge risk for infill development.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 5:43 PM

Quote:
It's a weird situation. It certainly looks like an alley, but the city considers it a street.

As an actual street or alley, Elgin would look sharp done up like John Hirsch Place a couple blocks over.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I like how they are arguing with YOU about it.
I am not arguing, just trying to help clarify.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 1:36 AM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldSmith View Post
I am not arguing, just trying to help clarify.
I'm just having fun
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 10:15 AM

Although more Exchange Buisness/Commercial related:
It does show it is taking some time to fill commercial units on Waterfront, but still positve.
Quote:
Premiere Executive Suites has leased one of the last two vacant commercial units in the Excelsior condominium complex for its new regional office.
I do like the idea of extended stay suites in the exchange area,even though they are not permanent residence, they allow visitors to the city to be located in the area for months at a time, hopefully encouraging them to take thier experiences,(hopefully positive ones back home), excellent PR for the area.

Quote:
Sunstone Resort Communities has been trying for two years to find buyers for the three commercial units in the soon-to-be-completed Phase II of its Sky Waterfront Condominiums development.

"No one is going to grab them (the commercial units) until they are ready to go, and they won't be ready to go until October," he said, although he noted all but two of the 31 residential units have now been sold.
Filling these commercial units has not been easy, but hopefully with time and increased ownership of condos and added rental suites, the commercial/retail spaces will slowly become filled in the area.

Condo complex gets biz tenant
Regional office fills unit for Premiere
By: Murray McNeill
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...221124331.html

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
Although more Exchange Buisness/Commercial related:
It does show it is taking some time to fill commercial units on Waterfront, but still positve.

I do like the idea of extended stay suites in the exchange area,even though they are not permanent residence, they allow visitors to the city to be located in the area for months at a time, hopefully encouraging them to take thier experiences,(hopefully positive ones back home), excellent PR for the area.

Filling these commercial units has not been easy, but hopefully with time and increased ownership of condos and added rental suites, the commercial/retail spaces will slowly become filled in the area.

Condo complex gets biz tenant
Regional office fills unit for Premiere
By: Murray McNeill
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...221124331.html
definetely like to see some sort of specialty shops, coffee/cafe, bakery, ice cream or all in one! was at the bannatyne carnaval over the weekend...i saw alot of people walking down waterfront, one of those specialty shops woulda worked out well...and then add the mere hotel, and goldeyes game into the mix...i think they would do well. strategically placed...closed to carnaval would be good, inbetween hotel and the baseball diamond and afterwards after eating all that meat!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 2:46 PM

^ All of the smaller outlets you mentioned are probably something most people would like to see, I certainly would.
The completion of the Hotel will probably add more north/south traffic along Waterfront Dr. on a more regular basis, as well as increased apt.condo dev.density.

I'm just curious if the "cost", of adding a cafe/bakery..etc.. to a prospective tenant at this time is sustainable on a regular basis yet?

Other posters may have a better idea if ie: a coffee shop would do well considering the amount to lease a space in the area and if the amount of foot traffic could sustain a very small outlet? Personally I hope it will in the very near future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan