HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 5:58 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Found a rendering of the proposal on SocketSite:

Strange thing though, this doesn't look like 5 stories. So maybe it's an older proposal.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 6:06 PM

I really hope that they can get started on this in the three to four months mentioned in the article. I guess we'll get to see how the new board of supes is going to act about proposals like this...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 3:59 AM
Kodachrome

Friday, January 23, 2009
Developers bid to build 550-foot Transbay District tower
San Francisco Business Times - by J.K. Dineen

Three development teams are bidding to build a 550-foot residential tower at First and Folsom streets in the Transbay District, despite a crushing economic downturn that has depressed the value of the state-owned site and precluded some major builders from taking on the project.

The three partnerships vying to take on project are: AvalonBay and affordable housing partner Bridge Housing; Golub Real Estate Corp. with affordable housing partner Mercy Housing; and Avant Housing with affordable housing partner Citizens Housing.

A number of developers who had been looking at the project, including Toll Brothers, Related Cos., and Intracorp San Francisco, did not submit proposals.

Mike Grisso, project manager for the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency, said the agency was still reviewing the proposals, but that all conformed to the Request for proposal, which called for a 550-foot condo tower reaching above two mid-rise affordable apartment buildings and a row of townhouses that will open onto Folsom Street.

“They are all housing and they all have a similar number of units, there is not a big variety” said Grisso. “The program was pretty proscribed in terms of height limits and bulk limits and building sizes.”

The 42,600-square-foot parcel is one of a dozen state-owned lots freed up when the elevated Embarcadero Freeway was knocked down after the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. While nine of the 12 parcels are set to be eventually redeveloped with housing — two will be parks and one a 700,000-square-foot office tower — Block 8 is the largest. It calls for a 550-foot tower reaching above two mid-rise affordable apartment buildings and a row of townhouses that will open onto Folsom Street, a thoroughfare that will eventually be reconfigured as a shopping boulevard with wide sidewalks, greenery and outdoor seating.

All three teams feature deep pockets and experience. AvalonBay, a national apartment real estate investment trust, has constructed 823 apartments in Mission Bay and has another development site near City College. Avant Housing is a joint venture between well-known Bay Area developers AGI Capital and TMG Partners and is backed by CalPERS. Golub is one of Chicago’s most prolific developers and has developed, owned, or managed more than 30 million square feet of commercial property and 50,000 multifamily units.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...9/daily69.html

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 6:27 AM

^^^D'oh! I just posted this over in the Transbay redevelopment thread.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 6:15 AM
Only Mostly Dead

The Schlage plan in Vis Valley was approved by the Redevelopment Agency yesterday. Eric at the Transbay Blog has an excellent write-up on the history of this plot and the plans moving forward.

He also posted a couple of street-level renderings, courtesy SF Redevelopment Agency:

Source: Transbay Blog at the URL linked above.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 9:18 PM
Only Mostly Dead

The building at Haight and Stanyon that will house a new Whole Foods has gotten yet another new design:

Source: Haight Ashbury Beat.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 9:26 PM

Wasn't it R. Mlynarik who a while back was saying the Transbay Terminal was poorly designed? Somewhere he is crying tears of joy.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA1J166LH6.DTL

Unbuilt Transbay station could soon be obsolete

San Francisco's planned high-speed rail station in the new Transbay Terminal would be obsolete within two decades, state transportation officials warn, forcing them to rethink the design.

The proposed station would not be large enough to accommodate half the passengers expected to be using the system by 2030. In addition, the current scheme poses engineering challenges for a Caltrain extension to the Transbay Terminal downtown, officials said.

"Three sets of engineers met and they concurred that the design for the station was inadequate and useless for high-speed rail," said Quentin Kopp, chairman of the High Speed Rail Authority.

The problems have transportation officials scrambling to find fixes to assure that the rail projects don't miss out on federal stimulus funds.

The emergency funding bill contains an unprecedented $8 billion for high-speed and intercity rail projects. President Obama indicated in his proposed budget last week that he would like to pump a further $1 billion annually over the next five years into such projects. The windfall provides opportunities that even the most optimistic rail supporters didn't envision.

Interested parties will have to make a case for their projects and compete for the money.

"I think we are well positioned to get these funds - unless we get in our own way," said Steve Heminger, executive director of the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, a regional planning and funding agency.

California is the only state with a high-speed rail plan and funding.

Heminger has been tapped to mediate the dispute that involves the potentially competing interests of Caltrain, the California High Speed Rail Authority and the Transbay Joint Powers Authority, the agency overseeing construction of the new Transbay Terminal at First and Mission streets.

The building - described by project sponsors as the Grand Central station of the West Coast, with bus and train service - is envisioned to be the San Francisco home of high-speed rail and the new Caltrain station, extending its service closer to the downtown job center than does the current terminus at Fourth and King streets 1.3 miles away.

As it stands, the first phase of the project would be built without a "train box," the skeleton of the underground train station. The idea is to build it later, when funding becomes available. But building the train box in the first phase could shave an estimated $100 million off the $490 million cost.

The Transbay Joint Powers Authority board must decide by summer whether to move up building the train box in order to keep on schedule, said Adam Alberti, spokesman for the Transbay Authority. Construction on the new terminal is expected to start in early 2010.

But even if Transbay officials put the train box on the fast track, there's still debate over whether the current design - one platform and two tracks for Caltrain and two platforms and four tracks for high-speed rail - would be sufficient.

Mehdi Morshed, executive director of the California High Speed Rail Authority, testified before the Metropolitan Transportation Commission governing board last week that it would not withstand the test of time.

"We have found out that the current design that was environmentally cleared gives us less than one-half of the capacity we'll need by 2030 to carry all the passengers," Morshed said.

The High Speed Rail Authority now believes that the station would have to be able to handle 12 trains an hour, or one every five minutes. Under that scenario, eight to 10 tracks would be required, Alberti said. He said the Transbay team only learned of that three weeks ago.

One idea being studied is whether a two-story underground train station would be feasible from engineering and funding standpoints.

Separately, Caltrain officials have raised concerns about the design pertaining to, in part, track alignment and slope.

The problems aren't insurmountable, said Michael Scanlon, executive director of the Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board, which operates Caltrain. But, he said, they require additional engineering work.

"The current alignment and design is fatally flawed," Scanlon told the Metropolitan Transportation Commission governing board last week.

Kopp said engineers from his agency and Parsons Brinckerhoff - the main consultant on the high-speed rail project - concur with Caltrain officials.

Alberti said the Transbay Authority has been working closely with Caltrain officials on preliminary design and engineering work. Until recently, he said, "at no time has Caltrain indicated that the rail design does not work for them."

Scanlon said in an interview that the worst thing to do would to be to construct a train box that wouldn't work. "I think we ought to slow down and get it right," he said.

Increasing the size or design of the train box could double the cost, but officials have yet to attach a final price tag.

Heminger said it's essential that a deal be brokered among the Transbay, Caltrain and high-speed agencies, which would require clearing funding and engineering hurdles. The goal, he said, is to apply for federal stimulus money with a unified voice. "It's critical," he said. "Even though we have a leg up, these funds are going to be competitive."

The U.S. Department of Transportation is expected to release the rules for the funding competition in about four months, which gives Bay Area and high-speed rail officials some breathing room. Heminger plans to convene another meeting with the Transbay, Caltrain and high-speed rail representatives this week.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 5:30 PM
Only Mostly Dead

550 18th St in Dogpatch, a new condo that is going to be rental now, has been unwrapped. From SocketSite:

35 units and ground floor retail. This is in the northern end of Dogpatch, almost Mission Bay.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 4:13 AM
Green Berniecrat

Angry

Quote:
No love for 110 The Embarcadero -- study ordered

A development that promises to be one of the greenest buildings on the West Coast will be delayed for at least a year while developers undertake a detailed study of the proposed building's environmental effects.

After hours of public testimony, the Board of Supervisors voted Tuesday to approve an appeal of the project, 110 The Embarcadero.

At issue is whether a former union hall on the development site could be considered a historic resource and should be protected, and whether the proposed height of the building is too high.

The controversial project was narrowly approved by the Planning Commission even though city staffers opposed the project. Neighbors were already objecting to the proposed height -- 123 feet, nearly 40 feet over the waterfront area's 84-foot limit. But opposition grew in recent weeks because of the building on the lot that would have to be demolished.

That building was the headquarters of the International Longshoreman's Association -- now the International Longshore and Warehouse Union -- in 1934. That summer, as the ILA led a strike, two protesting workers were shot and killed by police outside the union hall. July 5 became known as Bloody Thursday and led to the four-day General Strike. Some labor leaders and preservationists argued that the building should be landmarked, and asked the board to force a longer study.

After several hours of public comment, and over the project sponsor's objections, the board voted Tuesday to require that the report be conducted.
Source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...id=37117&tsp=1

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 6:19 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^ I just saw that today and my reaction is: does it really matter? No way Hines was going to start on it anytime soon. So it will gyrate in process limbo for awhile. Remember when I was the voice of optimism around here? Man, this economy sucks.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 6:15 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
^ I just saw that today and my reaction is: does it really matter? No way Hines was going to start on it anytime soon. So it will gyrate in process limbo for awhile. Remember when I was the voice of optimism around here? Man, this economy sucks.
Yeah, you hung on for a long time!

I've been spending much more time in the Chicago threads since we have so little here. At least they have some exciting projects that are being completed.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 11:02 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^ I just got back from Miami and noticed the same thing. It's mostly condos that may not fill anytime soon, but at least there are active projects to watch through completion. I might have to hang around some other cities' construction threads for awhile, just to get my fix.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 7:13 AM
Green Berniecrat

Miami? Chicago? Com on guys, wheres your faith?

I do have to hand it you though, p.g. You did hang in there for the long run. But with you giving up hope, who can we look to now? I just hope with all the delays, these proposals (of which some are outstanding) don't end up fading out of our view.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 4:24 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminiscence View Post
Miami? Chicago? Com on guys, wheres your faith?

I do have to hand it you though, p.g. You did hang in there for the long run. But with you giving up hope, who can we look to now? I just hope with all the delays, these proposals (of which some are outstanding) don't end up fading out of our view.
What happened to your old Northwestern Wildcat spirit when you were constantly looking at what was happening in Chicago? Go back now and look at Aqua, TIT, Legacy and others because they are tremendously exciting and they are happening now. I certainly haven't lost faith in San Francisco, I literally look at it everyday, but Aqua is hella thrilling compared to looking at the minute details of our two projects that are still rising. Take a look at the crane operator's pics from TIT because they'll make the hair on the back of your neck stand up! Aqua is so unique that it's thrilling--the coolest skyscraper anywhere in the US for me right now. You can monitor two cities at once with no more time invested than it what it used to take to keep up with San Francisco alone. Now, that's a sad testament of the times.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 9:01 PM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
What happened to your old Northwestern Wildcat spirit when you were constantly looking at what was happening in Chicago? Go back now and look at Aqua, TIT, Legacy and others because they are tremendously exciting and they are happening now. I certainly haven't lost faith in San Francisco, I literally look at it everyday, but Aqua is hella thrilling compared to looking at the minute details of our two projects that are still rising. Take a look at the crane operator's pics from TIT because they'll make the hair on the back of your neck stand up! Aqua is so unique that it's thrilling--the coolest skyscraper anywhere in the US for me right now. You can monitor two cities at once with no more time invested than it what it used to take to keep up with San Francisco alone. Now, that's a sad testament of the times.
Well, to be fair, I was actually living in Chicago, and I saw these skyscrapers fairly frequently. The Northwestern spirit though, was non-existent. On that part I did truly stay loyal to the local sports teams, heck, I even wore a Bonds jersey when I went to see the Cubs play at Wrigley field. My entire post up there was just teasing you guys

I certainly agree that Chicago has far superior buildings going up, or that have already topped out. I use to love going for long walks along Michigan and State streets just looking up in the sky and marveling at how impressive the buildings really were. I always imagined how cool it would be to have that here, but with our approval process and the custom to filter out (or prevent altogether) building designs like what you find on Aqua, it'll be a while before I see that. Transbay was their shot to create something bold like that here, and while they managed to at least land the dart, they missed the bullseye by quite a bit.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 12:35 AM
BANNED

Going, going, hopefully very soon GONE!

It's the the old state office building at Golden Gate & Polk:

Source (both): http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2009/0...center.php?o=1

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 6:05 PM
BANNED

The NIMBYs (and, one suspects, the recession) win another round . . . and save a surface parking lot:

Quote:
The 690 Stanyan Project Scoop: Scaled Back To An Interior Gutting

A plugged-in reader reports on the proposed 690 Stanyan Project:

The other half had a storewide meeting at Whole Foods last night. It was told to them that the Stanyan Project has been scaled back to be just like the Noe Valley project. No external construction - no condos, just a interior gutting of the old Cala foods and a small format Whole Foods going into it.
The mixed-use design as was proposed (and conditional use approved):

The proposed 26 studio units, 20 one-bedroom units, 15 two-bedroom units, and one three-bedroom unit have been removed from our pipeline inventory watch list.
Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...n_interio.html

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 6:40 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I guess the good news is this neighborhood will get something. But it's far short of what it should have been. I have two friends in this area. Can't wait to hear what they have to say about it.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 7:52 PM

Yuck. Now I bet that parking lot is still there in 30 years. Oh well, better than it being a boarded up building I guess.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West