HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 10:02 PM

I wonder how things are progressing with the arena proposal for the Ice in the RM of McDonald.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 2:32 AM

^ Is it not under construction yet?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 5:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Is it not under construction yet?
One would think a new 4,500 seat arena, just outside city limits, would warrant it's own thread. It's surprising that there is not much information on the project.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlubberMiley View Post
My post was stating that the WHL is better quality than the USHL. That was the point I was trying to make. It would be a good fit for the AHL Moose.
Besides, nearly every single high ranked pick is drafted from the USNDP, a collection of "all-stars" from all over the United States. I am sure if you took the best players of the AJHL, SJHL, and MJHL, and put them on one team, they could give the USNDP a run for their money.
USHL is very comparable to WHL, NAHL is similar to MJHL/SJHL. I have a nephew who has gone through this and I've watched some of the games, I'm quite familiar with it.

USA Hockey has drastically improved over past 10 years and it hurts me to say it, but I believe their growth system for the top guys is better than Canada. ouch ouch ouch this hurts to say it.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
USA Hockey has drastically improved over past 10 years and it hurts me to say it, but I believe their growth system for the top guys is better than Canada. ouch ouch ouch this hurts to say it.
What are the main differences?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 1:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
USHL is very comparable to WHL, NAHL is similar to MJHL/SJHL. I have a nephew who has gone through this and I've watched some of the games, I'm quite familiar with it.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 1:49 PM

^ Oh jets4life, you wiseacre you.

On an unrelated note, CF is teaming up with the owner of the Hamilton Bulldogs to develop an arena at CF's Lime Ridge Mall in Hamilton. I guess the Ice are committed to their facility at The Rink, but wouldn't it have been something if CF had teamed up with the Ice's owners to build a new WHL rink at Polo Park instead of out in the sticks?

Interesting to see CF going on this non-retail development tear at some of its major malls.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 5:16 PM
What could go wrong?

Pics with the curtain down - from UofM Bisons Twitter

U of Manitoba Bisons@umbisons·46m

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 6:23 PM

^ I hope they're going to paint the wall?!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 6:46 PM
What could go wrong?

I would think not. Season is upon us, so I wouldn't think there would be any time now.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 6:55 PM

I know it's minor, but a fresh coat of white would have spiffed the place up, made it look a little more like the dazzling renderings. As it stands it's just going to remain that dull beige colour that permeates the entire University of Manitoba campus...

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I would think not. Season is upon us, so I wouldn't think there would be any time now.
Did they at least get rid of all the black mould in the showers?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 4:41 PM

I noticed on Instagram today that the Ice are discounting some early season game tickets by 25%. Ice fever must be a little slow to catch on?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:22 PM
jammon member

Quote:
I noticed on Instagram today that the Ice are discounting some early season game tickets by 25%. Ice fever must be a little slow to catch on?
I'm really questioning whether we have over-saturated the hockey market here.

I'm thinking at some point either the Ice or Moose may break and one may have to relocate. I just don't see how three teams are viable over the long term in a city of 850,000. But who knows? I may be wrong.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
I'm really questioning whether we have over-saturated the hockey market here.

I'm thinking at some point either the Ice or Moose may break and one may have to relocate. I just don't see how three teams are viable over the long term in a city of 850,000. But who knows? I may be wrong.
Ideally the Ice should have waited until they could make a splash by playing in their own purpose-built rink. Wayne Fleming is basically a community calibre arena more suited to the MJHL and it's a bit of a stretch to expect to people to part with $25+taxes and fees to go there on a regular basis, even if it is WHL hockey.

I guess the team was in a tough position since the fanbase in Cranbrook had more or less given up on the team as it was widely known that they were moving. Although with a seating capacity of 1,600 at Wayne Fleming, you have to wonder if they might have still been better off just staying in BC for another couple years.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 8:30 PM

The Moose, with operational efficiencies from sharing most facilities used by the Jets have some pretty deep costs "covered". It isn't like there is high demand for ice time in the middle of a day on a weekday.

The Ice are doing somewhat similar where the parents of the hockey academy are essentially carrying the facilities costs for the Ice. The Ice will still need to pull in some cash to help cover costs but all those parents with deep pockets and NHL dreams for their kids will help it stay afloat.

Ultimately it isn't the Moose or Ice operations in isolation but overall what both organizations behind those teams are doing.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 8:38 PM

^ Yeah, good point. The overhead of both clubs is dramatically reduced compared to the more typical standalone operations.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 2:50 PM

So I've been to a couple of Ice games this season and I have a few thoughts on them:

-The team is good, it's highly entertaining hockey. The players generally aren't as skilled as Moose players who tend to play a much more structured, disciplined game reflective of their professional ability, bu the sheer intensity of the game more than makes up for it. It can also be pretty savage at times... both games I went to had single periods with close to an hour's worth of PIMs dished out.

-Wayne Fleming Arena is lame for the WHL but they're doing what they can with it. The vibe is more like that of a MJHL game in Steinbach than a WHL game in a city like Winnipeg. The in game production is OK, but even there they're kind of hampered by weak facilities. The new jumbotron is simply too small to see replays clearly... it's like watching something on your phone when it's 6 feet away from you.

-They're clearly struggling with ticket sales, 25% discounts abound and they're papering the house. There have been buy one, get one deals, and at the last home game, they were giving away tickets free for the asking for a January game. They play in a tiny arena but there are still lots of empty seats.

-On that note, the team is nearly totally anonymous. I get the Free Press and apart from the occasional new story, all the Ice get is a paragraph or so about their latest game. Contrast that with the daily Moose updates and coverage in the paper. There's no TV coverage and the only radio coverage is for weekend games. You seldom see anyone wearing the team's merch, even at the games.

-The scheduling is not ideal, all games are 7:30 starts and with all the fighting they run long. Not a single afternoon game. That makes it tough for families with younger kids to attend. My kid's team went to one game and played Timbits hockey at the intermission, but most of the team left in the second because there was an 8 am game the next day. The kids loved it, though... mine was begging me to take him to another game but it only worked because of the winter holidays. If they had 2 pm starts they could sell out the place with kids' teams alone.

-But leaving all that aside, the team is good and they're winning. They might currently be the most entertaining and satisfying of the three teams in town. It's possible that they could capture the city's attention once the playoffs roll around as there's a decent chance that they will have the stage to themselves.

-Funny that with all of the ads and corporate branding at Wayne Fleming, there is no sign of 24/7 In Touch, which IIRC is the company that made the Ice in Winnipeg possible. Ironic given that 24/7 In Touch advertises at Jets games.

-Lastly, has anyone been down McGillivray lately? How's the new arena coming along?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 6:36 PM

Quote:
-Funny that with all of the ads and corporate branding at Wayne Fleming, there is no sign of 24/7 In Touch, which IIRC is the company that made the Ice in Winnipeg possible. Ironic given that 24/7 In Touch advertises at Jets games.

-Lastly, has anyone been down McGillivray lately? How's the new arena coming along?
good summary, my thoughts on last 2

24/7 In Touch advertises at Jets games as it's quite a bit more exposure (business owners who require their services). Ice would be simply donating to the team they own

the new Ice rink has not started as of a few weeks back

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 7:10 PM

Quote:
the new Ice rink has not started as of a few weeks back
Thanks. I guess given that MTS Centre only took about a year and a half to build, this new, much smaller rink will take well under a year, maybe in the 6 to 9 month range? So perhaps they'll start building in the summer?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan