HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 6:13 PM

I think Google earth is even newer than that and shows the new pathway going along the river.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 3:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
haha some good local bantering never hurt anyone! I do have a desire to acquire property on Kildonan Dr. one of these days. We can then *fist raise* to the lowly residents of the Kildonans!
Cycled by a house for sale on Helmsdale that actually is part of Kildonan Drive on my commute and notice another house for sale on Kildonan Drive on the river near the south end of the drive. No im not an agent!

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 3:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I think Google earth is even newer than that and shows the new pathway going along the river.
The asphalt pathway closed by fencing at both ends behind Edgewood dead ends right near the Settlers Bridge, was going to ask Browaty on the NK Facebook group what the delay is in finishing that AT path, thought it was supposed to connect to Henderson north of the CP Trail!?!?

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 1:31 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^

I don't believe it has been tendered yet.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 2:38 PM

Ya they did a study last year on the pathway. It included adding a bike path over the bridge to Main. I think that work should be coordinated with whatever work will be done for the west CPT extension. They're going to add at least a third eastbound lane over the bridge. But I think it was both west and eastbound.

Also, yes I see those houses for sale on Kildonan. There's still one for sale that was listed last year. They want too much cash for what they got. Most likely that house would be torn down and something else built. They come and go. Cabin is #1 priority for me right now though. Cabin coming 2018. woo hoo haha.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Also, yes I see those houses for sale on Kildonan. There's still one for sale that was listed last year. They want too much cash for what they got. Most likely that house would be torn down and something else built.
I was house-hunting for close to a year and I know exactly which house you are talking about... whoever owns it is clearly in no rush to sell!

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 4:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I was house-hunting for close to a year and I know exactly which house you are talking about... whoever owns it is clearly in no rush to sell!
Cycle on that route daily and I see two houses for sale on KD (if we're talking about the stretch between Leighton and Helmsdale) along the river, one is a comfree listing and the other was just recently put back on the market. Actually looked at house beside one of those two last year but it was overpriced for the amount of work it needed, rumour from a buddy who lives nearby it that it will be torn down with a new build on the site.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 5:44 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
but I can't honestly say that I ever hear anyone refer to Old Kildonan anymore... it's been sort of forgotten and replaced with the names of subdivisions, the biggest and best-known being The Maples.
In a pre-1972 scenario it would become its own entity...the Town of Maples.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
In a pre-1972 scenario it would become its own entity...the Town of Maples.
The Maples is just a residential subdivision... had Unicity not occurred, I would think the likeliest scenario is that it would still be part of Old Kildonan?

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 8:51 PM

Quote:
The Maples is just a residential subdivision... had Unicity not occurred, I would think the likeliest scenario is that it would still be part of Old Kildonan?
Pretty much. I'm pretty sure the Maples pre-dates Unicity and would have been part of the RM of Old Kildonan.

If unicity never happened, the most likely scenario would have been it splitting from Old Kildonan to become South Kildonan or maybe new kildonan or east old kildonan.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 9:22 PM

Interesting history going back on the name Kildonan. It's from the north of Scotland I believe, and streets like Helmsdale is also Scottish town and parrishs. Of course a lot of names come from western Europe. Quick google search yields some results. I assume the original RM of Kildonan is based on someone from that area or with that name.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 9:29 PM

If you're interested. Theres also a lot of neat history on the Miles Mac page that's floating around the internet. Cant find it right now.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Kildonan

Kildonan, historical district within the city of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Situated on both sides of the Red River, it comprises the former cities of East Kildonan and West Kildonan and the former municipalities of Old Kildonan and North Kildonan, all of which were originally established in the 1870s. Kildonan was one of the historical districts of the Red River Settlement, founded by the Scottish philanthropist Thomas Douglas, 5th earl of Selkirk, who named it in 1817 for Kildonan in Sutherlandshire, Scot., from which many of the early settlers had come. In 1851 the first Presbyterian Church in western Canada was established there. All four Kildonans were absorbed into Winnipeg in 1972.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 8:04 PM

How is that supposed to tie in, design wise?

Other than not at all...

Still glad there is added density however.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 1:36 PM

It doesn't really. Its added on to the end and at funny angles. I think there's another tower planned for the middle area between the original towers. Again jutting off at a 90. Not sure of that was ever a go or just the future future plan. Imagine of they had got the 40 storey tower built. That's be a sight.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 11:14 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
It doesn't really. Its added on to the end and at funny angles. I think there's another tower planned for the middle area between the original towers. Again jutting off at a 90. Not sure of that was ever a go or just the future future plan. Imagine of they had got the 40 storey tower built. That's be a sight.
The glory of seeing a 40 story filing cabinet for Golden Agers as one crossed the Chief Peguis bridge was apparently too much for some people.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan