HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 5:31 AM

New developments will revitalize Broadway, downtown, says Saskatoon planner

A lot of changes are coming to Broadway and downtown in Saskatoon and Alan Wallace, former director of planning and development with the City of Saskatoon, says they will be good for the economy.

The empty spot on Broadway where the Royal Bank used to be might be a spot for a "mixed use rental apartment," according to a rendering online by Baydo Development Corporation.

Prairie Sun Brewery plans to move a restaurant and microbrewery onto what used to be the Farnam Block on Broadway.

And Nutrien has just announced it is building the province's highest office tower at River Landing.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...ment-1.4708527

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 9:32 PM

Gordie Howe Athletic Centre

Was in Gordie Howe park and was surprised to see the MASSIVE new athletic centre being erected - roof is on already. I don't recollect hearing about this facility being constructed, and it is huge - 70,000 square feet on main level, 20,000 sq ft on additional level. I didn't have a chance to take any photos.

I've found a few links:
https://www.athleticbusiness.com/aqu...-and-more.html

"Multi-Sport Indoor Athletic Performance and Training Centre" at http://gordiehowesportscomplex.ca/venues/

http://thestarphoenix.com/sports/foo...sports-complex

Does anyone else have any info on this or architectural renderings?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 3:08 AM

Design Canada - Saskatoon premiere Saturday, June 23

Hi—long time lurker but have been a bit inactive lately, so apologies if these types of posts are supposed to be elsewhere, but I hope you'll all look past that.

There's a design documentary which has just come out called Design Canada about the 'golden era of Canadian graphic design'. I caught a showing out in Ottawa where I am now (grew up in Saskatoon), but it was really amazing, and I think that this story needs to be out there more.

I write because this Saturday, there'll be a showing in Saskatoon + discussion by the director. At the end of the showing in Ottawa, they called out Saskatoon specifically as needing way more seats to be filled, so I'm just doing my part to spread the word! You won't regret going.

Trailer link, and do check out their website too which is nicely animated and designed. Tickets ($15) here for the 7pm showing this Saturday, June 23rd.

[for whatever reason my youtube link is breaking. but seriously do please check out the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26lnGrqFhcM]

image source: Design Canada Twitter

Last edited by kco; Jun 22, 2018 at 3:23 AM. Reason: forgot information/formatting/video not working

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 1:18 AM

this should be interesting, wonder if it will just be the cost or if they will give suggestions for the location of the library

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...toon-1.4719032

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 12:16 AM

Shakespeare on the Saskatchewan Festival Site

Shakespeare on the Saskatchewan is fundraising to build a permanent, year-round site. Sounds like a great idea!

http://http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/shakespeare-saskatchewan-permanent-venue-campaign-1.4713855

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 9:25 PM

That is great they are looking forward like this....perhaps could be a bit more ambitious...maybe a riverfront restaurant open year round with a cool ice sculpture garden in the winter....amenities for the x-country skiers who use the trails across the street...just a few ideas...just like to see this think a bit "bigger", but good idea!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 8:01 AM

Smile

[QUOTE=prairieguy;8235162]That

Last edited by jrochest; Jun 29, 2018 at 8:25 AM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 2:03 PM

Workers are present on the old Lydias site this morning (650 Broadway Ave)

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 11:26 PM

Merlis Belsher Place expected to be ready for Huskies opener

by Chris Vandenbreekel, 650 CKOM
July 03, 2018

The University of Saskatchewan Huskies hockey programs may not have to play another game in Rutherford Rink.

Huskies Athletics has told 650 CKOM they “expect” the brand new Merlis Belsher Place to be ready in time for the women’s hockey home opener on Oct. 5 against the University of Alberta.

“Things are progressing really well with the construction,” said Chief Athletics Officer Shawn Burt.

The $43.9 million project wasn’t expected to open its doors until near Halloween, with Huskies hockey planning to move in for the second semester in January 2019.

However, Burt said the organization is becoming more confident the two ice sheets will be ready in time for hockey season.

[........]

Read more:
http://www.ckom.com/2018/07/03/364921/

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 12:07 AM
Has been

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskE30 View Post
Workers are present on the old Lydias site this morning (650 Broadway Ave)
And as of this evening they've done some digging. Looks like this one is on.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 9:17 PM

The old SPS building is definitely in the midst of it's makeover:

source: my camera

Last edited by Arts; Jul 5, 2018 at 9:19 PM. Reason: image link

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 3:02 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:41 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 8:03 PM

Have there been any designs released for the Prairie Sun Brewery building? I did a quick search, but I can only see some images from a year or so ago.

An article that popped up mentioned a single story building.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes306 View Post
Have there been any designs released for the Prairie Sun Brewery building? I did a quick search, but I can only see some images from a year or so ago.

An article that popped up mentioned a single story building.
This is the most recent image (from a couple pages back):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 4:43 AM

Farnham Block (Lydia's) site July 12. One less gravel parking lot!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 12:19 PM

The east part of the above ground midtown lot on the North side of 22nd is all fenced off. I’m guess they are just resurfacing the lot??

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 3:08 PM

delete

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 7:57 PM

Ground broken on $2M Optimist Hill project

By Adam MacVicar, Global News
July 13, 2018

One of the most anticipated projects in Saskatoon is soon to be a reality, as ground was broken on Friday to officially kick off construction on Optimist Hill.

Over the coming months, work will be done to the hill and surrounding area in Diefenbaker Park to transform the area into a recreational space that can be used in the spring and the summer.

[........]

Read more:
https://globalnews.ca/news/4330521/o...breaks-ground/

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 9:43 PM

One more one story building making less than full use of a valuable piece of real estate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt_center View Post
Farnham Block (Lydia's) site July 12. One less gravel parking lot!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 2:34 AM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ralph View Post
One more one story building making less than full use of a valuable piece of real estate.
It's an architecturally sound building, and I'm happy to have it in conjunction with the Baydo apartments on the RBC site, and the rumoured Urban Capital project at the top of the Broadway Bridge.

Regardless, even if for whatever reason either of those buildings aren't completed, this one (based on the renderings) will be a valued contribution to the Broadway district. I think it will be a worthy successor to the Farnham Block and the legacy of the Lydia's site, and will turn a healthy and ongoing profit for the developers, owners, and their investors as proposed. From what I understand the developers behind this project are dental surgeons and not professional developers; I commend them for realising that the long-term value added to the property as a higher-end food-retail commercial property sans condo is greater than that as another Impark lot. If only more local developers saw it this way. Or do you think it's better to sit on this property while other developers take action nearby? The project seems to be a quality-finished human-scale building that will be well-used by the community as the well-respected Prairie Sun Brewery's brewpub, bringing a destination business from a (debatably) outlying district to the core. Similar to Christie's and Il Secondo, or Paddock Wood and The Woods, but a better sited new build.

That being said, I have no doubt that either of the other Broadway projects I mentioned will be completed.

Welcome to the forum. You should start a Lloydminster thread

Last edited by phone; Jul 16, 2018 at 2:55 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan