HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 2, 2006, 8:00 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Cool MILWAUKEE | Lake Pointe Tower | 43 floors | NEVER BUILT

here's some exciting news about a potential new skyscraper for brew city. scroll down for the renderings.

From the Business Journal:

Lake Pointe taking shape
BY PETE MILLARD

The proposed $207 million Lake Pointe Tower has secured one anchor tenant and is in negotiations with Robert W. Baird & Co. Inc. to become the second major tenant in the 43-story building that would be built in downtown Milwaukee.

The two anchor tenants are crucial to moving forward with the much-talked about office tower that would be just south of the U.S. Bank Tower, 777 E. Wisconsin Ave. The structure is currently the tallest building in Milwaukee at 42 floors.

The building would be developed by JBK Properties Inc., Milwaukee, at the intersection of East Michigan and North Cass streets.

U.S. Bank is committed to occupying two floors in the proposed building. said Bill Bertha, president of U.S. Bank Wisconsin. U.S. Bank is a partner in the development of Lake Pointe. The bank currently occupies about 300,000 square feet in the U.S. Bank Tower, which is also owned by the bank. In addition, the bank has leased office space in the 811 E. Wisconsin building and the Lewis Center, 606 E. Wisconsin Ave.

Baird, a Milwaukee brokerage and investment firm, is considering relocating part of it's downtown operations from the U.S. Bank Tower to Lake Pointe. Baird is negotiating with U.S. Bank on renewing it's lease that expires in 2009 for 250,000 square feet on 10 floors of the 33 year old U.S. Bank Tower, said Joe Ullrich, a bank vice president involved in the negotiations.

"Baird is looking for a number of possibilities", he said.

John Rumpf, a Baird spokesman, said the company will complete a needs assessment and make a decision this fall on its office space.

Westin Deal

Lake Pointe Tower has also secured a commitment from Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc., Whiteplains, N.Y., to open a 214-room Westin Milwaukee Hotel in the building said Ullrich. In addition, Lake Pointe would include retail shops, and 34 condominiums on the top 14 floors.

Ted Matkon, a vice president for JBK Properties, declined to comment on the tower's tenants or design.

The Lake Pointe Tower would replace a parking structure owned by U.S. Bank. The building would become a prominent gateway to downtown Milwaukee, Bertha said. "Our skyline could use a boost". he said.

The proposed building's architecture would enhance the image of the city's skyline and fit well with other buildings along Milwaukee's lakefront, said Jim Barry III, president of Collier Barry, a Milwaukee real estate brokerage and development firm.

The building's design, which is not yet completed, will compliment the Santiago Calatrava-designed addition to the Milwaukee Art Museum and the Discovery World at Pier Wisconsin, said Bertha.

As part of the plan for Lake Pointe, the city of Milwaukee is planning to upgrade East Michigan Street with a promenade from the lakefront west to North Water St. Pedestrian-friendly landscaping and additional parking will be added around East Michigan Street, said Bertha.

The office portion and retail shops of the building would occupy the majority of the bottom 12 - 15 floors of the building with the hotel taking up the next rung of floors.

The best views in the high-rise building will be reserved for condos at the top. The condos would be sold unfinished, allowing owners to design their own space. The condos would sell for up to $425 per square foot.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 26, 2007 at 4:41 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2006, 8:01 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Awesome! We have ourselves a thread!

It'll be a very nice project once more tweaking has been done to the design. It'll really be great to see the final project.

The article states this project as 43 floors, but the thread says 42. I wasn't sure if this was just error or maybe some beyond information, so I counted the floors from that diagram and I only see 39...There must be mezzanines or other uncounted mechanical floors, or possibly basement floors?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2006, 8:15 PM

Interesting proposal. . . not sure how I feel about this unusual design, but it looks promising. . .

Old Posted Sep 2, 2006, 8:32 PM
millard fillmore

They should build it ten feet away from Kilbourn Tower also.

The design's really not that bad. It's just a little Jennifer Lopez-esque. Nice and slender on top and then a BIG ass tacked onto the back. Not very consistent but it really isn't bad.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2006, 9:33 PM

Hm, good for Milwaukee, this could be interesting...

Old Posted Sep 2, 2006, 9:42 PM

This is good... I was beginning to doubt that it would ever get built.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2006, 11:08 PM

Quite cool ... has a nice European "look" to it. Right on, Milwaukee.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2006, 12:36 AM
Not far from Disneyland

I like the look of this building.

I really like the park on the roof section midway up.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2006, 2:04 AM

friken' awesome.

Lets get this one done. Thanks for the post steely.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2006, 2:24 AM
Hello

Sharp looking building...very nice if it happens.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2006, 3:39 AM
Everywhere all at once

This is a pretty cool building. Its great how Milwaukee is making a turn-around. I just read an article in National Geographic Traveler about the city, you guys should check it out.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 3:13 AM

This is one incredible-looking building! Let's hope it gets done because it would immediately, and dramatically improve Milwaukee's skyline.
I like the design - very different, especially for conservative Milwaukee. It resembles a billowed sail on a sailboat.
It appears to be a little shorter than US Bank. That's ok. As much as I'd like to see a new record-holder for height, the Lake Pointe Tower would go a long, long way towards helping the skyline. This looks like one, kick ass development!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 3:20 AM
Pacific Wonderland

A building with a beer-belly, lol. I like it though, Milwaukee needs this one.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 3:32 AM
Sea™/Ciudad™

Location: Dallas.TX Previously:Seattle/San Diego/Chicago/New London/Portsmouth
Yep, I dig it.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 3:36 AM
THAT Guy

Great looking tower. It reminds me of that (dead) Booth Hansen proposal for Milwaukee.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 3:46 AM
Missing the Gorges

A stand-out tower that would greatly enhance the skyline. I hope to see this one under constructed within the near future.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 3:47 AM
The True Avatar

Great addition to the skyline. Milwaukee could really use it IMO too.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 4:10 AM

Quote:
From the Business Journal:

....will compliment the Santiago Calatrava-designed addition....

There's no excuse for a professional journal to misspell "complement".

A different name for the building would be nicer -- I'm not comfortable with another LPT so close to the real one. (I know there are a few others around the world.) But the design is intriguing. I also thought of the Booth Hansen proposal but apparently Gonzalez Partners designed this.

Last edited by Dan in Chicago; Sep 5, 2006 at 6:21 AM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 4:54 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

I love this building, it would be a major plus for any city. It would give Milwaukee's skyline a sense of modernization and sophistication befitt of the city.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 5:19 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

It is great to see that Milwaukee is getting a new tower of that height.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive