HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
The Barrell fills up and is useless.
On a typical 1000 sq ft building, a 50 gal rain barrel will fill up at the first .08 inches of rain.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 10:51 PM
Show me the blueprints

A 55 gallon barrel is way too small for just about any application. If I was doing a rain barrel for my property I'd sink or have one of these 275 gallon tote barrels on grade:

_

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 11:52 PM

The Draper (FLATS / Cedar Street) at Winnemac / Broadway (near Argyle) in Uptown.

https://imgur.com/gallery/MNsFI4q

Has anyone been on Argyle recently and noticed how terrible the "shared street" streetscaping looks? It's a complete wreck. The planters are full of trash and the sidewalk bricks are spaced just far enough apart that cigarettes collect in them literally by the thousands. I'm surprised I haven't heard more outrage over it. What a waste of time and money.

Last edited by tjp; Jan 6, 2019 at 12:43 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
The Draper (FLATS / Cedar Street) at Winnemac / Broadway (near Argyle) in Uptown.

https://imgur.com/gallery/MNsFI4q

..snip...
Is that the rehab ? what a difference !

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 12:42 AM

Yes! It was an old Aon office building.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 1:58 PM

Instead of fighting nature - live with it - use it - I am getting ready to go out with the kids and dog to a flood plain (Thatcher Woods) for our Sunday morning hike.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...&text=Thatcher

as much as I love the Spire (which will be built before TheWalltm) sinking parking below grade next to an active river may not be the optimal solution - note that Aqua and Vista have no below grade presence.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 5:49 PM

Deep tunnel fixes Chicago problems. Urban properties that discharge directly to sanitary systems and lack permeable area or detention storage.

Suburban areas offer better options to manage stormwater on site. Permeable pavements help, but an even better solution is thick vegetation to absorb more water.

A common complaint is neighbors getting flooded out by new construction because of larger building footprints and more lawn because the neighbors cut down trees. Stormwater just passes over the lawn to the nearest drain. It doesn’t absorb like most people think. The other big offenders are big box stores with tons of asphalt parking and expansive roofs. Any new development should have reduced parking and permeable pavers.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 8:41 PM

LVDW touched on this but I don't think many people noticed, we could dramatically increase our green space but the topography and geology of this region isn't working in our favor. The heavy clay subsoil (honestly I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned earlier since there have been a lot of comments about clay soil during foundation excavations) isn't going to allow a lot of absorption in a short span of time. Combine flat land with a thick clay subsoil and you'll get standing water regardless of the level of vegetation.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 9:37 PM

greenz

My condo building has a green roof covering about half of it's footprint. I was surprised to learn how much rain can be held by just 3 inches of soil and that most rain is held and later evaporates, which simulates a paraire.

https://extension.psu.edu/green-roofs-for-stormwater

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
LVDW touched on this but I don't think many people noticed, we could dramatically increase our green space but the topography and geology of this region isn't working in our favor. The heavy clay subsoil (honestly I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned earlier since there have been a lot of comments about clay soil during foundation excavations) isn't going to allow a lot of absorption in a short span of time. Combine flat land with a thick clay subsoil and you'll get standing water regardless of the level of vegetation.
I think most people on the forum are aware of our subsoil composition from the excavation photos. Nothing about that will change. The water absorption of clay doesn’t diminish the effectiveness of denser vegetation that slows horizontal movement of storm water. There’s a multiplying effect of tree and brush canopies capturing, scattering and evaporating some precipitation. The decomposition that occurs in heavily vegetated area naturally builds up an absorptive topsoil that captures and slows surface runoff

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 2:45 AM

Potential for any new projects (small or otherwise) due to this for West Loop? Anyway - very interesting. This will make McDonald's, Mondelez, Google, Dyson, WPP, Sun Times, etc in West Loop. Also Time Out's food hall will basically be across the street from this.

Oreo-maker Mondelez to move headquarters and 400 jobs to Chicago, leaving Deerfield

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...107-story.html

Quote:
Mondelez International, maker of Oreo, Ritz, Triscuits and other brands, plans to move its global headquarters from Deerfield to Chicago’s booming Fulton Market neighborhood.

The snack maker will move 400 employees into a five-story office building under construction at 905 W. Fulton Market, in the heart of what was once the city’s meatpacking district. The company, which said it signed a 15-year lease, will relocate employees in April 2020, joining the parade of corporate food giants abandoning the suburbs for the city.

“We sought a location that reflects our new, dynamic and more consumer-centric growth culture, and which will make existing and future colleagues proud to be working at the global headquarters of a $26 billion dollar global snacking leader,” Mondelez Chairman and CEO Dirk Van de Put said in a statement. “Fulton Market is an exciting part of the City of Chicago that has acquired a well-deserved reputation for world-class food. We’re privileged to be part of this rapidly-developing scene.”

The move to a hub of Chicago’s foodie and tech scene gets the company “rooted into a city that represents the millennial vibe,” Armitage said, which is useful for both attracting employees and developing consumer insights.

“We want everyone to be connected into what consumers are thinking and doing,” he said.

All 330 corporate employees at Mondelez’s Deerfield headquarters will make the move, plus about 40 contractors and 30 employees from Enjoy Life Foods, which Mondelez acquired in 2015. Enjoy Life, known for its allergen- and gluten-free snacks, is based in Schiller Park.

Mondelez, which occupies 53,000 square feet in Deerfield, will have 83,000 square feet in the new building, where its offices will be on floors two through five. There will be retail on the ground floor.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 5:53 AM
TL;DR

Hopefully this means some more affordable lunch options in the area!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 4:13 PM

Curious news considering SamintheLoop already established that the West Loop is a terrible location for office and that all this construction is just a big fad...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 8:08 PM

https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/1/7/...ignasi-monreal

Wow, this mural is really cool! Definitely, not some run of the mill corporate art. I didn't expect a mural combining medieval surreal art with a modern statement on paradise on the side of a commercial building off Michigan Ave, very bold of them to put some real thought provoking art in a otherwise extremely corporate commercial world we live in.

Kudos to the Spanish artist Ignasi Monreal, I'd love to see more of his art in Chicago!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 9:46 PM

Perkins+Will Northtown Branch library and apartments -

Curbed

Today:

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 10:27 PM

ComEd office building and education center

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2018...s-in-avondale/

The blue building -

33rdward.org

Today:

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 11:23 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
The blue building -

33rdward.org
ugh, this plan seems to indicate that the existing red brick building at the corner of california and addison is coming down and they'll bring surface parking all the way out to that corner.

as if that yucky stretch of addison needed even more street-fronting surface parking lots.

poo.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 12:19 AM

Anyone know what's going up at Elston and Irving Park? On Elston, North of Irving, there is a 5 or 6 story building under construction, i've been watching go up for 6 months going to the airport every week.

Edit: Library and Apartments?
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9543...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 12:44 AM

321 N Clark

Jan 4

It was never apparent before but the ROW goes under 321-N-Clark

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 1:19 AM

600-ish Milwaukee

Dec 24

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development