HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 2:42 AM
Chicago

Twelve01West - 1201 W Lake

September 12, 2018

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 2:43 AM
Chicago

Nobu Hotel - 854 W Randolph

September 12, 2018

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 1:31 PM

Mega Mall Site - 9/12/18

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 1:51 PM

Question, what is this:

Is this a storm or sewer water cistern? I've seen similar structures built at other sites...

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 3:03 PM

Stormwater detention. Product is called StormTrap I think.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Stormwater detention. Product is called StormTrap I think.
Cool. Is this a newer part of the building code or only applicable for larger footprints?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
Cool. Is this a newer part of the building code or only applicable for larger footprints?
Required for larger developments by city stormwater ordinance I think to meet certain allowable discharge rates. Seen a few of these going in at bigger projects.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 4:16 PM
The City

^ How does it work? I imagine it holds a large volume of water after a storm and allows such water to discharge into the city's sewer line at a controlled rate? Just my novice guess here...

Obviously out in the suburbs they force new subdivisions to create their own "ponds" for stormwater runoff, but that's not possible in the city, so I have always wondered how they handle this in urban environments

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 4:27 PM
1st Ward

Wow, that is interesting. I too wondered why the city is so well drained (well, West Town at least) as compared to many burbs, especially since all downspouts and drains go directly into the sewers (something a lot of suburbs are now banning, and forcing homeowners to disconnect from the sewers and allow the rainwater to soak in the ground instead). This seems to answer that question.

Hopefully with the Deep Tunnel reservoirs coming online, the entire metro sees a lot less flooding overall.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 4:59 PM

deep tunnel already cant keep up with the increased intensity and frequency of storms we are having, and projected to have moving forward. the city should be moving far more aggressively to implement/require permeable parking lots, alleys, bioswales, etc

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
deep tunnel already cant keep up with the increased intensity and frequency of storms we are having, and projected to have moving forward. the city should be moving far more aggressively to implement/require permeable parking lots, alleys, bioswales, etc
My newish condo building (8-units from 2016) has half of our roof topped by a green-roof system designed to reduce rain runoff. I'm not sure if this was required by the city or not...

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 5:21 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
My understanding is that the largest reservoir still isn't fully online, and won't be until sometime in the mid 2020s. The 10 billion gallon McCook reservoir went online last year and can currently hold only one third of its total capacity. In total, TARP currently has a 10 billion gallon capacity, and will have another 7 billion (for a total of 17 billion) by next decade.

It's already saved billions in flooding costs since the Thornton reservoir went online in the mid 2000's. My parent's basement in near west suburban Riverside used to flood almost every year or two, almost like clockwork. It hasn't flooded since 2006, when the first reservoir opened.

Climate change will obviously put additional stress on the system, as it will for every other city in the world; that notwithstanding it's performing admirably given the current climatic conditions, even while operating at only 60% of its future capacity.

I fully agree that the city needs to more aggressively pursue any other flood mitigating tool it can wield as well. Permeable allies and parking lots should be a requirement for any and all development going forward immediately.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ How does it work? I imagine it holds a large volume of water after a storm and allows such water to discharge into the city's sewer line at a controlled rate? Just my novice guess here...

Obviously out in the suburbs they force new subdivisions to create their own "ponds" for stormwater runoff, but that's not possible in the city, so I have always wondered how they handle this in urban environments
Yeah I think in this configuration that's what it does.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
My understanding is that the largest reservoir still isn't fully online, and won't be until sometime in the mid 2020s. The 10 billion gallon McCook reservoir went online last year and can currently hold only one third of its total capacity. In total, TARP currently has a 10 billion gallon capacity, and will have another 7 billion (for a total of 17 billion) by next decade.

It's already saved billions in flooding costs since the Thornton reservoir went online in the mid 2000's. My parent's basement in near west suburban Riverside used to flood almost every year or two, almost like clockwork. It hasn't flooded since 2006, when the first reservoir opened.

Climate change will obviously put additional stress on the system, as it will for every other city in the world; that notwithstanding it's performing admirably given the current climatic conditions, even while operating at only 60% of its future capacity.

I fully agree that the city needs to more aggressively pursue any other flood mitigating tool it can wield as well. Permeable allies and parking lots should be a requirement for any and all development going forward immediately.
McCook phase 2 isn't scheduled to come online until 2029 unfortunately. I think that TARP, as beneficial as it is proving, is undersized to meet the challenge of climate change that seems to be brining more intense rain events. Especially the mainstream portion of the system that has such a large developed area to contend with.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 8:32 PM

Quote:

Woah! Careful there!

Also, how will climate change add additional stress to flood prevention infrastructure in all the cities in the world that will experience less rainfall as a result?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 10:37 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
Woah! Careful there!
Any reason you are against that? I see no problem with replacing toxic asphalt with brick pavers. They are more attractive and better for the environment well beyond simply water drainage issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
Also, how will climate change add additional stress to flood prevention infrastructure in all the cities in the world that will experience less rainfall as a result?
With a warmer atmosphere that will be able to hold much more water vapor and be all the more unpredictable, even cities forecast to become drier in the future are still predicted to get bigger and stronger rainfalls, situations where the majority of their annual precipitation might come in just a handful of powerful storms. Flooding will become a bigger problem globally, regardless of the local climate becoming more arid.

Climatology isn't an exact science, so we really don't know how long term climate effects could potentially turn out. Let's hope we make enough changes now to not find out the hard way.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 11:45 PM

Here's a rendering of the new Rush facility, which I haven't seen yet.

Source: ChicagoDPD/Twitter

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 1:18 AM
Small but Mighty

Quote:

The Deep tunnel system, while an admirable attempt to control flooding, was never really going to be the long lasting solution to flood control. We can't keep creating more deep tunnels and reservoirs. They are simply too expensive, and take way too long to create. If anything, the Deep Tunnel simply avoided the problem until later. Eventually, the city, and the surrounding suburbs will have to make decisions that won't be crafted from a Civil Engineer's daydream.

Your parent's basement will flood again, it's just a matter of time. A possible solution to this, (and to your parents flooding) is to get rid of the traditional front yard. I think that every front yard in the city should have at least some sort of native plantings in order to absorb rainwater. That, is a solution that is long lasting, cheaper, and better for the environment.

I realize you said we do need to speed up permeability, but I don't think new projects will fix this alone. Every street, every sidewalk, and parking lot should be permeable. It may sound drastic, but even now we can't dare rely on the deep tunnel system. A reliance on the deep tunnel system would simply give us a false sense of security.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 1:37 AM

The city needs to make sure trees that have died in the parkway are replaced ASAP. Trees that love water like the Pin Oak and Red Maple should be selected.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Here's a rendering of the new Rush facility, which I haven't seen yet.

Source: ChicagoDPD/Twitter
This will be a nice project to replace a parking lot just east of Rush's main hospital (I think) thus further canyon-izing the Eisenhower at the IMD.

It's bitter sweet because this will totally ruin one of my favorite views of the city, from the Rush parking garage looking east.

Last edited by PittsburghPA; Sep 14, 2018 at 3:51 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development