HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 8:38 PM
James

I forgot to post this rendering from the same article...
http://therivardreport.com/crockett-...y-to-eastside/

this view can be seen here... https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4224...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 9:58 PM
Paradise

Living in NYC now, it is crucial to have street retail in order to have that synergy and city life. It is a rather generic looking building, too. But I guess it's better than whatever else was in that spot.

The Vidorra towers before weren't that interesting, but I at least liked the original proposal more than what we got.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
Perhaps we can now look up, and not over, on this? If the Missions move to Amarillo, or Lubbock, what then?
The attendance figures for the Missions go up?

I mean, the support for the Missions has always been lukewarm, if not piss-poor. They were last in attendance from 2010-2014 in the Texas League and are only better than Arkansas and Midland after that.
http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...=l_att&lid=109

If they had real support the idea of a new stadium would be a ...homerun, but instead they may strike out.

It's the same thing with football. UTSA is playing Division I football and their attendance has been on a slow decline (http://www.expressnews.com/sports/co...ng-9175227.php).
Not bad numbers for a new program, but in a city that was hungry for football? Based on some of the games I attended, I would question those numbers and even if they are correct I still think it's disappointing.

It would be nice if the student body actually showed up. Right now, instead of school spirit you have settle for annoying info-mercials at the breaks.
At least they'll have Freetail beer for sale now So maybe I'll make the trip and attend a game this year.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 11:57 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post

I mean, the support for the Missions has always been lukewarm, if not piss-poor. They were last in attendance from 2010-2014 in the Texas League and are only better than Arkansas and Midland after that.

If they had real support the idea of a new stadium would be a ...homerun, but instead they may strike out.

It's the same thing with football. UTSA is playing Division I football and their attendance has been on a slow decline (http://www.expressnews.com/sports/co...ng-9175227.php).
Not bad numbers for a new program, but in a city that was hungry for football? Based on some of the games I attended, I would question those numbers and even if they are correct I still think it's disappointing.

It would be nice if the student body actually showed up. Right now, instead of school spirit you have settle for annoying info-mercials at the breaks.
At least they'll have Freetail beer for sale now So maybe I'll make the trip and attend a game this year.
Very hard to accomplish when the student body is so far away from the venue. Having a purpose built stadium by campus will fix that. Is that still planned?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 1:40 AM

Doubt it

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Very hard to accomplish when the student body is so far away from the venue. Having a purpose built stadium by campus will fix that. Is that still planned?
They signed a 20 year lease for the Alamodome shortly after the football program started.

SAN ANTONIO — The San Antonio City Council approved a contract extension on Thursday, which allows UTSA to play its home football games in the Alamodome through 2035.

The contract ensures the Roadrunners will continue to host contests in the 65,000-seat facility throughout the next two decades.

http://www.goutsa.com/news/2012/9/6/205679995.aspx

City made out like a bandit on that one, if you ask me.

And yes, attendance is abysmal for the Missions and UTSA. The Missions I somewhat understand, as I think most people would prefer to play with the big boys at this point.

UTSA, I don't understand, unless SA is not the hotbed of football Texas overall is? At this point, I'd rather the 'Runners play at Alamo Stadium. At least it would look close to full. First game of the season, with a new coaching staff, and some good recruits, and they only drew a little over 22,000. I was one of them, so I can complain.

Last edited by Restless 1; Sep 16, 2016 at 2:02 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I forgot to post this rendering from the same article...
http://therivardreport.com/crockett-...y-to-eastside/

this view can be seen here... https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4224...7i13312!8i6656
All the people in the street must be residents walking to and from the parking garage.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post

I'm pretty sure attendance dropped for UTSA because the team started losing. I go to one game a year, and I must say, they need to speed the game up. There is to many timeouts for commercials, it took 4 hours to play the whole game. I want to go tonight, Arizona State game, but it starts at 8:30 pm and then add 4 hours to that. Yea I will pass for that reason. I like the Roadrunners downtown, it gives the dome a tenant!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Wow the good old days. I was so excited with the Vidorra first design, and the Grand Hyatt original design which was all happening around the same time. My dreams were crushed.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 3:34 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
All the people in the street must be residents walking to and from the parking garage.

the shade is real

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 3:29 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
Wow the good old days. I was so excited with the Vidorra first design, and the Grand Hyatt original design which was all happening around the same time. My dreams were crushed.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 7:10 PM

With the addition of those Crockett lofts, I can see the East Side of downtown becoming San Antonio's Uptown. The dynamic of that area reminds me a lot of Dallas' uptown, obviously on a more microscopic scale. But the potential is there.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venshard View Post
With the addition of those Crockett lofts, I can see the East Side of downtown becoming San Antonio's Uptown. The dynamic of that area reminds me a lot of Dallas' uptown, obviously on a more microscopic scale. But the potential is there.
I have always envision uptown the area north of downtown. They should tunnel the lower level of IH 35. Put a park over the highway like Dallas did.
Then start the high rise building up to San Antonio College!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 8:05 PM
James

Quote:
I have always envision uptown the area north of downtown. They should tunnel the lower level of IH 35. Put a park over the highway like Dallas did.
If not high-rises, mid-rises. It would be so beautiful to live in that area!

Totes down with this idea. All they'd have to do is close the bottom part out a few years then leave the top open, then start tearing down the top piece by piece

Last edited by jaga185; Sep 23, 2016 at 10:29 PM. Reason: forgot a word

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
If not high-rises, mid-rises. It would be so beautiful to live in that area!

Totes down with this idea. All they'd have to do is close the part out a few years then leave the top open, then start tearing down the top piece by piece
I keep the upper level, you could do art on all the highway columns. The bridges could be shade for the park.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 6:48 PM

Quote:
As long as we're dreaming, let's tear down that section of 35 completely, multiplex 35 and 37 and then tunnel them to connect downtown to St. Paul, the Alamodome and the west side.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
As long as we're dreaming,
Reroute the interstates away from downtown, along 410 and 1604. Demolish the entire downtown loop. Replace the freeways with boulevards and reconnect all city streets. Use right of way for other forms of mass transit. Re-grid the land used up by the three cloverleaf intersections and incentivize highrise residential/office construction, as well as making each location a major transit terminal. Restore the San Pedro Creek bed all the way up to the park.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 8:35 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Historic Houston Street Building to Become Boutique Hotel
Camille Garcia
Rivard Report
October 19, 2016
http://therivardreport.com/historic-...outique-hotel/

Quote:
The Historic and Design Review Commission (HDRC) gave conceptual approval Wednesday to plans to turn the five-story Burns Building, located at 401 E. Houston St., into a “contemporary boutique hotel.”

Once completed, the hotel – which was once a JCPenney department store for a number of years before sitting vacant – will contain 112-120 rooms, a fitness center, conference and meetings rooms, and other amenities such as valet service.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 9:33 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Actually, that project is dead as of today:

http://www.expressnews.com/real-esta...t-10417400.php

Quote:
Plans to turn the historic Burns Building on Houston Street into a boutique hotel have fallen through after the prospective buyer had problems applying for historic tax credits.

A hotel development group from Memphis was under contract to buy the five-story building until last week, said Zach Dobin, director of San Antonio Commercial Advisors, which is representing the owner. But the group had trouble getting the state and federal historic tax credits it wanted because of its plans to make additions to the building, he said, while declining to name the group.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Actually, that project is dead as of today:

http://www.expressnews.com/real-esta...t-10417400.php

Sounds like the building will still be redeveloped according to the article.
Maybe even a better development!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 1:31 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Sounds like the building will still be redeveloped according to the article.
Maybe even a better development!
No, it says that it could be. If the current developer couldn't make the numbers work with the denial of tax credits, it seems pretty unlikely that another developer would be willing to take up the project. Maybe there's another use of the building that would qualify for tax credits, but I'm not holding my breath for anything to happen with it anytime soon. If they can't make a deal work for a hotel two blocks from the Alamo, I'm not optimistic there'll be a developer willing to take this on (Weston Urban and Greystreet, our two downtown messiahs, have pretty full plates right now). Now, in a year or two when things get rolling with the Frost tower and the Kress redevelopment, things may look different.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio