HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 7:07 PM

While my money is on the north midtown parking lot, I like playing devil's advocate. Consider these south downtown advantages:
  • proximity to the meewasin trail and nutana for active transportation. The BRT will also be close if on 1st ave.
  • proximity to the rremai, persephone, river landing, cineplex threaters, farmers market, riversdale and even broadway. IMHO we need a critical mass for an entertainment district to flourish. In fact I worry that the cineplex theater may not last downtown leaving yet another gaping hole.
  • the north midtown parking lot is almost "too valuable" to be used for an arena. Ideally I would prefer to see mixed use development there with residential etc. I fear a big arena (which should be downtown) might deaden the area a bit when its not in use. An arena on the toys R us site would only have to be "active" along 20th st. if not an arena or convention center on that site then what? I think it would be destined to remain a parking lot long into the future.

Anyway, just sayin'

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt_center View Post
In fact I worry that the cineplex theater may not last downtown leaving yet another gaping hole.
That is what kinda made me think of considering that block for the arena site instead of the one just to the East like prairieguy suggested.

I also see the benefit of a south downtown site rather than north of 22nd, and as for the Toys'R'Us site I can't really see much desire for any residential or mixed use, and little commercial directly adjacent to the freeway there, so maybe an arena and mixed use civic facility would be a better usage for that particular site than anything else.

The block that currently houses the YMCA at 22nd & Idylwyld also seems like an easy place to visualize such a facility, but I'm not sure if the Y still has any plans to vacate anytime in the future.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 4:48 AM

I wonder if the block that the firehall is on would be considered. I believe that firehall is hoping to move anyway.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyku View Post
It looks like the old bus depot is getting some renovations on it, or at least a fresh coat of paint on the outside. There were still "For Lease" signs in the window so it doesn't look like a tenant is lined up yet--anyone heard any rumours there?
I drove past yesterday and they were installing big marble tiles/slabs on the cement pillar in the SE corner next to Ontario Ave--definitely fancying up the joint!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 3:39 PM

I think the proper location for the Lighthouse is closer to the police station, to be honest.

Same for the court house.

The arena being in south downtown would be best.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook View Post
I think the proper location for the Lighthouse is closer to the police station, to be honest.

Same for the court house.

The arena being in south downtown would be best.
I completely agree with this. Definitely a building we could easily move. Instead of a library I’d rather see $150 million spent on fixing our homeless problem and program funding for mental health associated than a $150 million library. They definitely should work in tandem - from my experience in the library downtown. We should never see our library funding higher than our cities funding to address homelessness and mental health issues.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 9:47 PM

Homelessness

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
I completely agree with this. Definitely a building we could easily move. Instead of a library I’d rather see $150 million spent on fixing our homeless problem and program funding for mental health associated than a $150 million library. They definitely should work in tandem - from my experience in the library downtown. We should never see our library funding higher than our cities funding to address homelessness and mental health issues.
Correctly if I’m wrong but homelessness and mental illness are health/social issues which are the responsibility of the province not the city. It’s time for the province to step up and put more resources into it. It should not fall into the hands of the city

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter12 View Post
Correctly if I’m wrong but homelessness and mental illness are health/social issues which are the responsibility of the province not the city. It’s time for the province to step up and put more resources into it. It should not fall into the hands of the city
This isn’t a place for politics but we definitely all know the Sask Party’s objectives are for rural Saskatchewan and not at all the issues of its two larger core centres. This is why all of the economic provincial offices that should be downtown (ministry of ag and trade and export development) in Saskatoon are run down and mainly basically in martensville. It’s up to our city.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
This isn’t a place for politics but we definitely all know the Sask Party’s objectives are for rural Saskatchewan and not at all the issues of its two larger core centres. This is why all of the economic provincial offices that should be downtown (ministry of ag and trade and export development) in Saskatoon are run down and mainly basically in martensville. It’s up to our city.
Not a place for politics yet makes a political statement...hmmm.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 6:39 PM

Architect questions city's 'willy-nilly' parameters for arena district

Group has proposed Riversdale location for new arena/convention centre, while city hall seems focused only on downtown proper

PHIL TANK, SASKATOON STARPHOENIX Updated: September 27, 2019

Gary Marvin’s 35-year-old vision of a Saskatoon arena located on the banks of the South Saskatchewan River may have evaporated.

Saskatoon city hall administration said this week that the sites being considered for a downtown entertainment district are limited to those located within the Central Business District.

The River Landing location favoured by Marvin is adjacent to the current Saskatoon Farmers’ Market building at the site of a former power plant in the Riversdale neighbourhood.

[........]

Read more:
https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...arena-district

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotToScale View Post
Not a place for politics yet makes a political statement...hmmm.
It’s not a political statement - they’ve cut funding over $1million a year to the lighthouse let alone accounting for the fact of our growing population. They know where their votes are lol. Private business downtown and the city are who need to implement the move of the lighthouse if they see fit. Province only cares about their rural voters and the roughrider stadium - let alone Saskatoon’s stadium. Hence why most government jobs here are in the suburbs at $5/psf and not downtown like Regina. There’s currently lawyers in ministry of social services working in a building by the old Costco. Imagine doing your law degree and working in a building without sidewalks next to Saputo lol. It’s embarrassing.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 5:59 PM

I think putting the arena in River Landing would be a huge mistake - it would be a monolith that would suck all the life and human scale out of the area. Having said this, I don't think it will end up there. My bet is on the lot across from midtown. This would be a much better location.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 7:16 PM

Well i guess Vendasta made it's decision

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/vendast...onth-1.4622699

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Well i guess Vendasta made it's decision

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/vendast...onth-1.4622699
My hunch confirmed!

Good news for Downtown.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 7:54 PM

I really thought River Quarry would be the lead contender for downtown. I have had friends work in Saskatoon Square and they constantly complained about the poor HVAC...too cold or too hot....

I would think River Quarry, meeting Leed Standards, would be far more comfortable and modern. However, maybe their rent was too high??

Either way...I agree that it is great Vendesta chose a downtown location!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 1:59 AM

Yeah I’m sure it was a combination of

A) substantially lower prices at Saskatoon Square vs a place like River Quarry; And

B) leasing space in Saskatoon Square gives them ample room to expand over time

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
Yeah I’m sure it was a combination of

A) substantially lower prices at Saskatoon Square vs a place like River Quarry; And

B) leasing space in Saskatoon Square gives them ample room to expand over time
Seems like it, based on their press release. Colliers talks about the vacancy rates downtown.

https://www.vendasta.com/press-relea...lp-of-colliers

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 12:08 PM

Pretty bittersweet - I bet if Saskatoon Square didn’t get a tenant so soon they would have spent some decent money on that building, and what was noted above, it apparently is extremely hot in the summer and extremely cold in the winter. Poor Vendasta employees.

I’ve now heard a rumour that Scotia Wealth (7th floor Saskatoon Square) and Scotia Commerciak/Roynat (2nd Ave Scotiabank building utilizing approx the whole top floor), are also moving to River Landing.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 1:41 PM

That article does suggest something about renovations, which I assume will take place in Saskatoon Square.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 3:32 PM

Rent in Saskatoon Square is probably a third of River Landing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan