HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 5:48 PM

I should add for those that haven't seen it that it appears the Roblin overpass rebuild was done in part to accommodate six lanes of through traffic in the future. There is definitely more space for roadway on the underside now which is where the Perimeter is. If they are going to do six lanes that far in terms of the south Perimeter it gives be great hope the issues with the Wilkes overpass will be addressed too.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I should add for those that haven't seen it that it appears the Roblin overpass rebuild was done in part to accommodate six lanes of through traffic in the future. There is definitely more space for roadway on the underside now which is where the Perimeter is. If they are going to do six lanes that far in terms of the south Perimeter it gives be great hope the issues with the Wilkes overpass will be addressed too.
Can confirm that bridge was designed for 6 lanes under it. There is some planning being done for 6 lanes on the west perimeter (at least south of portage). The assiniboine river would require a twin structure. not sure how wilkes overpass will be handled tho

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 7:05 PM

The existing structure, that was rehabbed maybe 5 years ago, over the Assiniboine would be turned into a one way, 3 lane bridge with pathway or something?

Wilkes I would assume will get similar treatment as the Roblin Overpass. 6 lanes for the Perimeter. They'll likely upgrade Wilkes to handle a 4 lane roadway underneath the structure, beside the tracks, for the future upgrade/new route of Wilkes. Looking at Google, the new Wilkes structure would go immediately south of the existing. Which would align much nicer with the existing roadway.

Wilkes is Perimeter over, where as Roblin was Perimeter under the structure.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 8:39 PM
What could go wrong?

Wilkes will be designed for 6 lanes.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Wilkes will be designed for 6 lanes.
My goodness, is there anything you don't have the scoop on?

I seriously think we need to fully probe the extent of Biff's knowledge by peppering him with ever more detailed questions about random projects around town.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 8:45 PM
What could go wrong?

I don't like probes...
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 8:56 PM

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Wilkes I would assume will get similar treatment as the Roblin Overpass. 6 lanes for the Perimeter. They'll likely upgrade Wilkes to handle a 4 lane roadway underneath the structure, beside the tracks, for the future upgrade/new route of Wilkes. Looking at Google, the new Wilkes structure would go immediately south of the existing. Which would align much nicer with the existing roadway.
While not an expert on this Wilkes under the existing structure doesn't look like it would have enough space for four lanes, even if heavily restructured like was done on Roblin. It would seem that some significant earthwork would need to happen on the southern ramp of the existing structure.

When you say the new Wilkes structure would be built "south" I assume you mean east or west. With the existing development around the area building a new structure on the east side seems more likely.

In terms of the Assinboine River bridge, I would guess that existing structure would be used for the north bound lanes and a new structure built for south bound. That said if the plan is to go from six lanes back to four having the outside lanes as forced exists at Roblin might make sense for now. The traffic at that point on the Perimeter doesn't really warrant six lanes currently, it just needs people to learn to yield the right most lane to traffic merging in.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
While not an expert on this Wilkes under the existing structure doesn't look like it would have enough space for four lanes, even if heavily restructured like was done on Roblin. It would seem that some significant earthwork would need to happen on the southern ramp of the existing structure.

When you say the new Wilkes structure would be built "south" I assume you mean east or west. With the existing development around the area building a new structure on the east side seems more likely.

In terms of the Assinboine River bridge, I would guess that existing structure would be used for the north bound lanes and a new structure built for south bound. That said if the plan is to go from six lanes back to four having the outside lanes as forced exists at Roblin might make sense for now. The traffic at that point on the Perimeter doesn't really warrant six lanes currently, it just needs people to learn to yield the right most lane to traffic merging in.
Sorry, yes you're right. I was thinking about the realignment of Wilkes. The structure runs over Wilkes, so they'd have to do it similar to what was done at Roblin. Shutdown half, build new, then repeat on the other side.

While they're at it, increase the span lengths so they could have a 4 lane road below. You're right, they'd need to completely rebuild the ramps, which is likely going to be done anyways as those ramps are death traps. I'll think the Wilkes re-build would be even more extensive then the Roblin re-build.

I was thinking something like this. Red area is the widened and lengthened bridge. You can see the existing bridge underneath with the yellow outline. The red would be the new wilkes road and ramps (crudely drawn of course). $ lane Wilkes would end just at the west side of the bridge and taper back to 2 lanes. The 4 lanes would swing southward on the east side and connect into whatever new Sterling Lyon option is decided upon. Or if the actually get something planned correctly, they could move the whole interchange south, away from the tracks, and build a diamond or parclo of some sort. The City has the treatment plant just on the west side, so they have land. Not sure if there would be room for a highway though.

Last edited by bomberjet; Mar 31, 2017 at 9:17 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 7:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Sorry, yes you're right. I was thinking about the realignment of Wilkes. The structure runs over Wilkes, so they'd have to do it similar to what was done at Roblin. Shutdown half, build new, then repeat on the other side.

While they're at it, increase the span lengths so they could have a 4 lane road below. You're right, they'd need to completely rebuild the ramps, which is likely going to be done anyways as those ramps are death traps. I'll think the Wilkes re-build would be even more extensive then the Roblin re-build.

I was thinking something like this. Red area is the widened and lengthened bridge. You can see the existing bridge underneath with the yellow outline. The red would be the new wilkes road and ramps (crudely drawn of course). $ lane Wilkes would end just at the west side of the bridge and taper back to 2 lanes. The 4 lanes would swing southward on the east side and connect into whatever new Sterling Lyon option is decided upon. Or if the actually get something planned correctly, they could move the whole interchange south, away from the tracks, and build a diamond or parclo of some sort. The City has the treatment plant just on the west side, so they have land. Not sure if there would be room for a highway though.
There is zero reason to have this section of Wilkes 4 lane. They just replaced west about 8 Kms worth with brand new roadway. It would be odd for them to now make it 4 lanes to just drive into empty prairie and end up gravel.

I was also told by some clients in the area that the section east to sterling lion would be moved south from its current position. Some places quite south. Also that the existing route would be a rapid transit way some day in the year 2088.

The main need is for the on amd off ramps to be moved east and west so they have longer on and off ramps. The bridge itself was renovated not that long ago also. So don't get your hopes up that it will change anytime soon. Having the Roblin one made to handle 6 lanes is like the 59/101 interchange planned 50 years ago and only now being done. So again. Maybe in 20-30 years they will make it 6 lanes.

What needs to be done is get #2-#3-101 interchange going and built.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 12:15 AM

Free press just posted an article saying the province has 500 million of federal funding they need to use or "lose" for infrastructure matching (Federal gov't decides what to do with the money otherwise)

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...417829443.html

Wonder if any light elimination on perimeter will happen with this or Pallister will keep his austerity measures going despite the federal matching (or other infrastructure projects will eat it up)

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 4:30 AM

april fools bud

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 4:46 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpa View Post
april fools bud
That doesn't look like an April Fool's joke to me.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
There is zero reason to have this section of Wilkes 4 lane. They just replaced west about 8 Kms worth with brand new roadway. It would be odd for them to now make it 4 lanes to just drive into empty prairie and end up gravel.

I was also told by some clients in the area that the section east to sterling lion would be moved south from its current position. Some places quite south. Also that the existing route would be a rapid transit way some day in the year 2088.

The main need is for the on amd off ramps to be moved east and west so they have longer on and off ramps. The bridge itself was renovated not that long ago also. So don't get your hopes up that it will change anytime soon. Having the Roblin one made to handle 6 lanes is like the 59/101 interchange planned 50 years ago and only now being done. So again. Maybe in 20-30 years they will make it 6 lanes.

What needs to be done is get #2-#3-101 interchange going and built.
The plan for sterling Lyons was to swing south, then back north again at the perimeter. From what I remember. I'll dig out the study the city was working on recently.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 5:09 PM

http://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/c...ouseBoards.pdf

I don't think this study was ever finished. It leaves the Sterling Lyon thing open for the connection to Wilkes. The far south option leaves possibility for a new connection to the perimeter. The other seem to use the Wilkes access point.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/c...se2_Report.pdf

This is the final report here actually. It seems the residents preferred to have Sterling Lyon on the current Wilkes alignment. Go figure. Typical Charleswood, don't change anything!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Free press just posted an article saying the province has 500 million of federal funding they need to use or "lose" for infrastructure matching (Federal gov't decides what to do with the money otherwise)

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...417829443.html

Wonder if any light elimination on perimeter will happen with this or Pallister will keep his austerity measures going despite the federal matching (or other infrastructure projects will eat it up)
I took this as a Sam Katz style leaving money on the table fuckup, but it looks like if the Province doesn't use it, it'll trickle down to the municipalities. Good!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 2:05 PM

So those are matched funds, meaning the Province needs to spend money to get that money. They have a year to figure it out, I'm sure Pallister will get something done. I'm sure of it, cause he's done so much. He's awesome, Yuuuuge.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 2:46 PM

I tend to agree there seems to be limited reason to Wilkes to have four lanes at the Perimeter even under the most aggressive development plans.

If the Perimeter had six lanes at Wilkes a new bridge would be needed, likely to the west, carrying three lanes of south bound traffic once work was fully completed. Once the new bridge span was ready if they were making Wilkes four lanes they could then shut down the existing span, likely remove the bridge decking, dig out the south side ramp to make room for the added lanes on Wilkes than rebuild it all out.

If you didn't make Wilkes four lanes you could mostly leave the existing span in place and use it for the northbound lanes. Hopefully any changes would fix the merge and exit lanes for access from the Perimeter.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 2:49 PM

The only reason it would be 4 lanes is if Sterling Lyon connects to it. The City wants that to happen, or at a new location. So they should plan for it with any rehab plans. That's all my point was. If you have a 4 lane roadway connecting to the Perimeter, you're not going to cut down to two lanes just because of the bridge. That's bad practice.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 5:30 PM
Heart of the Continent

honestly, there's so many projects that money could be used for. Highway 100 and Highway 3, for example...or the Headingley bypass....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan