HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 4:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Second, stop calling operating funds subsidies. No Canadian national museum runs on a cost recovery basis. All Canadian national museums receive over 80% of their operating funds from the federal government. This is no different than other public institutions.
It is a subsidy no matter how you cut it. And I agree that all museums get subsidies. But most museums are not "in large part" phallic structures commemorating a single individual or one group over another. Secondly, I highly suspect that the amount of subsidy the CMHR is set to receive, as normalized by number of *paying* visitors, is higher than most other national museums.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
It is a subsidy no matter how you cut it. And I agree that all museums get subsidies. But most museums are not "in large part" phallic structures commemorating a single individual or one group over another. Secondly, I highly suspect that the amount of subsidy the CMHR is set to receive, as normalized by number of *paying* visitors, is higher than most other national museums.
Right. "Highly suspect" = no actual facts or data.

Time to move on.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 7:33 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Booring
Can we stop beating dead horses

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 4:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
stop beating dead horses
I agree that it is akin to a dead horse. Will move on for the time being.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 7:58 PM

CMHR's restaurant, ERA Bistro, gets clobbered by Marion Warhaft. The restaurant is operated by Sparrow Hotels which also runs Inn at the Forks, Mere and the Norwood Hotel among others.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...urce=d-tiles-1

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
CMHR's restaurant, ERA Bistro, gets clobbered by Marion Warhaft. The restaurant is operated by Sparrow Hotels which also runs Inn at the Forks, Mere and the Norwood Hotel among others.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...urce=d-tiles-1
Why can't somebody just serve a decent meal in a place like this? Why does everything have to be so pretentious and inaccessible to the majority of people when the place is essentially a shrine to public subsidy. I can't understand it. I get that you need to be slightly higher end in order to keep within the context of the surroundings, but what is so hard about serving traditional food with an emphasis on value over just masturbatory artistry?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 8:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Why can't somebody just serve a decent meal in a place like this? Why does everything have to be so pretentious and inaccessible to the majority of people when the place is essentially a shrine to public subsidy. I can't understand it. I get that you need to be slightly higher end in order to keep within the context of the surroundings, but what is so hard about serving traditional food with an emphasis on value over just masturbatory artistry?
Masturbatory artistry for the elitist, pompous crowd that would eat there solely for the fact that they could say they ate there further validating their visit to a dubious and preposterous museum of delusion or in other words an FU to all the little people who helped to pay for this clusterfuck.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Masturbatory artistry for the elitist, pompous crowd that would eat there solely for the fact that they could say they ate there further validating their visit to a dubious and preposterous museum of delusion.
I don't even care about the museum. Great, we have it and everybody will be better for seeing it. Everybody. But it's becoming a place that's almost intended to be exclusive. The restaurant doesn't in any way jive with the concept.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Obviously the hope is that a high-end restaurant will cater to high-end events and groups will rent the space, thus partially offsetting the operating expenses of the museum. This seems to be the model now at the other national museums. You can rent Pier 21 as a venue for your wedding apparently, with high end catering available.

http://www.pier21.ca/rentalservices/weddings

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 8:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I don't even care about the museum. Great, we have it and everybody will be better for seeing it. Everybody. But it's becoming a place that's almost intended to be exclusive. The restaurant doesn't in any way jive with the concept.
To me it's speaks volumes about the people who were the proponents of the museum, the board who runs it and for whom it is/was actually intended (think vanity project)

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Obviously the hope is that a high-end restaurant will cater to high-end events and groups will rent the space, thus partially offsetting the operating expenses of the museum. This seems to be the model now at the other national museums. You can rent Pier 21 as a venue for your wedding apparently, with high end catering available.

http://www.pier21.ca/rentalservices/weddings
I wonder how the arrangement actually works. Sparrow runs the restaurant. If they're just renting the space then the marginal benefit rolls up to them, not the museum.

I have no idea how this is arranged though. In any case, it isn't working.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
To me it's speaks volumes about the people who were the proponents of the museum, the board who runs it and for whom it is/was actually intended (think vanity project)
I don't think you're far off with this. The people who would be making these decisions wouldn't exactly relate to the 'everyman'...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 8:53 PM

A better model IMO is the restaurant at the WAG. Nice, well done, beautiful environment but still accessible.

But ERA and $30 for a piece of meat with no potatoes or vegetables on the side? That everything-a-la-carte thing is an annoying trend that I do my best not to support.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 9:01 PM

Quote:
I wonder how the arrangement actually works. Sparrow runs the restaurant. If they're just renting the space then the marginal benefit rolls up to them, not the museum.

I have no idea how this is arranged though. In any case, it isn't working.
The point is that the museum wants high-end catering services available for "gala" events. Facility rentals come with access to the catering services of ERA. This is why an average, generic, value-priced restaurant will not do.

https://humanrights.ca/visit/facilities-rental

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 9:43 PM

There's certainly enough other places to eat nearby, the entire forks market is close by and very accessible.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
The point is that the museum wants high-end catering services available for "gala" events. Facility rentals come with access to the catering services of ERA. This is why an average, generic, value-priced restaurant will not do.

https://humanrights.ca/visit/facilities-rental
Right. I was just making the point that what they're getting is something that only looks like it, delivers poorly, and doesn't cater to the vast majority of people who are going to step through those doors. And since there are already a hundred different places in this city that can competently cater a decent meal, why bother.

Interesting point Esquire made a few posts ago. The WAG has a decent, not-too-high end restaurant that suits the average client. And the issue with their catered events at the WAG is that the food isn't good enough to justify $350 plates. You can't do it all. If somebody wants the odd event catered to the highest standards, bring in the heavy artillery. Otherwise, cater to the majority of people who are going to attend.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
There's certainly enough other places to eat nearby, the entire forks market is close by and very accessible.
Interesting. Perhaps the terrible and pretentious restaurant can go and try to make it somewhere that isn't subsidized? Just a thought...

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 3:07 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
The Forks has good places to eat? Other than Bindy's, where?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
The Forks has good places to eat? Other than Bindy's, where?
The Sri Lanka guy is good too. I wonder how Bindy is doing these days. Poor health I understand.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 4:00 PM
BANNED

Less than half the people flocking to the Canadian Museum for Human Rights are paying to get in.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...t-in-1.3092272

Hey lets build a national museum and when you come and visit we'll decide on what and if you pay based on your ethnicity!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan