HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 3:41 AM

Question Winnipeg - Out with the old, in with the new

Hi, I am new to the Skyscraper page, but I have a great interest in cities and Skyscrapers, and I have been blessed with a nice downtown in my own City, Winnipeg. I think Winnipeg has it's fair share of Glass and Steel, but making Winnipeg, well, Winnipeg, is that it's major trade district is all historical. Now, I myself, don't really care for the preservation of the 5 storey brick and stone buildings that can make our Downtown look like a dump at first sight. Now, please don't get me wrong. I am a fan of architecture, and it's those buildings that define our strive for building up, and the ever evolving definition on what is urban and central, but I say its time to move on.

Yes, the stone is nice, but who wants a skyline filled with hundreds of tiny 5 storey stone buildings when we can replace them with more efficent, and eye pleasing buildings, like the Richardson, or CanWest, or even the Commodity Exchange Tower. I've been to downtown Minneapolis, and man, was that nice. I stayed in a fancy hotel right in the heart of all those skyscrapers, and it was one heck of a view. And do you know what? There wasn't one single old stone short building there. It was all gleaming glass and steel.

I think that Winnipeg needs to take on a new initiative to let the sky become more of a resource, rather than letting everything sprawl out. Our downtown and city needs to attaract more major coporations so we can get our sky filled with glass. Its the 21st century and the city is the place to be. Offices are where the buisness men are, and the buisness men are what keeps the economy up. Now, I'm only in my teens, and I am not sure how all this urban design and preservation of historical sites work, but those are just my thoughts.

I'd love to see our skyline grow, and glow, and more buildings climb the skys, but I am sure there is way more to it than just trying to attract buisnesses, but I just thought I'd bring up the subject to see what others though. I hope It doesn't offend anyone. Post what you think!

ps. Sorry about the double post. I don't know how to delete one of the two threads!

Last edited by Winnipegger; May 6, 2007 at 3:50 AM.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 4:14 AM

Those old historic buildings are what set Winnipeg apart from all other cities. Why would you want to replace say Winnipeg’s exchange district with skyscrapers which would create more of a dead zone like Portage and Main? A skyline does not make a city, Bay Street in Toronto is mostly a dead zone after 8 pm, it’s in its other districts with human scale development that thrive and create vibrant and diverse neighbourhoods. Besides that point, there is absolutely no reason for any building in downtown Winnipeg to be knocked down and replaced with another, there are more then enough empty lots to accommodate any scale of development. Oh and if you want skyscrapers move to T.O or New York, because you’ll never find them here.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 4:57 AM

The brick and stone buildings make the city look like a dump? How old are you?

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 5:07 AM
Movin' on up

Bottom line; mix the old with the new. Preserve the Exchange, and build on a new, modern downtown. Oh yes, it can be done. Let's get our shit together and do it already, for fuck sakes.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 5:10 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
Those old historic buildings are what set Winnipeg apart from all other cities. Why would you want to replace say Winnipeg’s exchange district with skyscrapers which would create more of a dead zone like Portage and Main? A skyline does not make a city, Bay Street in Toronto is mostly a dead zone after 8 pm, it’s in its other districts with human scale development that thrive and create vibrant and diverse neighbourhoods. Besides that point, there is absolutely no reason for any building in downtown Winnipeg to be knocked down and replaced with another, there are more then enough empty lots to accommodate any scale of development. Oh and if you want skyscrapers move to T.O or New York, because you’ll never find them here.
so true!!! totally agree. Skyscrapers do not help streetlife, downtown Toronto and Montreal are more dead and dreary then Portage avenue because there are so many skyscrapers. I guess they work good for streetlife only in New York, but i'm not sure (never been there).
I believe the new condos will help downtown more then Manitoba Hydro and CMHR.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 5:58 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
so true!!! totally agree. Skyscrapers do not help streetlife, downtown Toronto and Montreal are more dead and dreary then Portage avenue because there are so many skyscrapers. I guess they work good for streetlife only in New York, but i'm not sure (never been there).
I believe the new condos will help downtown more then Manitoba Hydro and CMHR.
Not totally true, as Toronto's Entertainment District (along King St.) is alive most nights. The district has live theatre, the symphony hall, cafes, night clubs, pubs, bars, Front St. Market supermarket, a couple of fancy hotels.

Le Royal Meridien King Edward. Photo Credit: Jim Jaworski

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 10:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
Hi, I am new to the Skyscraper page, but I have a great interest in cities and Skyscrapers, and I have been blessed with a nice downtown in my own City, Winnipeg. I think Winnipeg has it's fair share of Glass and Steel, but making Winnipeg, well, Winnipeg, is that it's major trade district is all historical. Now, I myself, don't really care for the preservation of the 5 storey brick and stone buildings that can make our Downtown look like a dump at first sight. Now, please don't get me wrong. I am a fan of architecture, and it's those buildings that define our strive for building up, and the ever evolving definition on what is urban and central, but I say its time to move on.

Yes, the stone is nice, but who wants a skyline filled with hundreds of tiny 5 storey stone buildings when we can replace them with more efficent, and eye pleasing buildings, like the Richardson, or CanWest, or even the Commodity Exchange Tower. I've been to downtown Minneapolis, and man, was that nice. I stayed in a fancy hotel right in the heart of all those skyscrapers, and it was one heck of a view. And do you know what? There wasn't one single old stone short building there. It was all gleaming glass and steel.

I think that Winnipeg needs to take on a new initiative to let the sky become more of a resource, rather than letting everything sprawl out. Our downtown and city needs to attaract more major coporations so we can get our sky filled with glass. Its the 21st century and the city is the place to be. Offices are where the buisness men are, and the buisness men are what keeps the economy up. Now, I'm only in my teens, and I am not sure how all this urban design and preservation of historical sites work, but those are just my thoughts.

I'd love to see our skyline grow, and glow, and more buildings climb the skys, but I am sure there is way more to it than just trying to attract buisnesses, but I just thought I'd bring up the subject to see what others though. I hope It doesn't offend anyone. Post what you think!

ps. Sorry about the double post. I don't know how to delete one of the two threads!

Trust me, I appreciate your views on our mighty neighbor to the south; Winnipeg SHOULD be akin to Minneapolis if our leaders 50 years ago had any intelligence; rather, after blow after blow to our economy, stagnation was allowed to dominate. As a result, the growth died. Minneapolis is a great city.
All of these diminutive buildings you mention would be awesome if they were modernized (the addition of glass annexes such as Johnston Terminal at the Forks, the Adult Education Centre-former Isbister School on Vaughn, RRC Downtown) Rather simple glass additions breathe new life into these otherwise dreary relics. Example from Vancouver:

It is now, I think, ingrained in people that street-level development is paramount. If you build a beautiful 40 storey modern tower, but it does not meet the street with anything inviting/stimulating (cafes, shops, etc), and the right appearance, that is not very effective.

It is frsutrating here though because we have such a large inventory of underused small buildings that meet crumbling sidewalks, curbs, streets, no awnings, no people...well, you get the idea; basically, we have a lot of catching up to do, and it will take a lot of government aid (tax incentives, a better economy (tax relief for the business community to attract investment) to create the kind of city you are seeking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
Now, I myself, don't really care for the preservation of the 5 storey brick and stone buildings that can make our Downtown look like a dump at first sight. Now, please don't get me wrong. I am a fan of architecture, and it's those buildings that define our strive for building up, and the ever evolving definition on what is urban and central, but I say its time to move on.
I used to feel that way when I was your age...trust me, when you are older, and you see how much we have lost, and how unique these buildings are, you will regret wishing this!

Look at this example...Stephen Ave in Calgary (a city that levelled so much). These jewels are updated, and striking...a city with dozens of streetscapes like this is one I want to live in (which isn't Calgary, lol)

http://flickr.com/photos/syldavia/3256424/

Last edited by The Diva; May 6, 2007 at 1:01 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan