HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 10:44 PM
Paradise

I just hope ther will be more projects like that there.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 11:36 PM

I wonder who is going to pick up the Turner Bowling land and the land at the corner of Roy Smith/Avenue A, across the river from SAMA. They are both for sale now. Turner Club is across from Cross' land on 9th/River. I also noticed Embarcadero website went offline. I guess something else might come up on that property once things get rolling again.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 8:50 AM
Meh

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 4:10 PM

Very cool...I especially like this one

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 8:14 PM

Sad

Sad that sa had more development in 1950's then 2009

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
awesome link thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 11:00 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
Sad that sa had more development in 1950's then 2009
Yes, because we measure SA development by downtown only.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 12:55 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Uh oh... sounds like a Downtown vs. Sprawl war is brewing.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
Uh oh... sounds like a Downtown vs. Sprawl war is brewing.
Not at all. His comment was a blanket statement. I was not trying to make it about urban vs suburban. Just noting that SA has greatly developed since the 50's.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 3:56 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Well, some of us grew up in the core of the city and feel kinda bitter that suburban areas like the Colonnade/Med Center or Stone Oak areas have gotten more attention in 10 years than the core has gotten in 60

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 7:01 PM

No, I agree. It's terrible the lack of high=rise construction downtown.

What I really should have said is:

Yes, because we measure SA development by the downtown skyline only.

I just think it was a unnecessary blanket statement.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 2:14 AM
JACKinBeantown

Well, I'd also like to see downtown SA grow more. Yes, I like tall buildings, but it would also be indicative of more thoughtful city planning.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 5:21 AM

Tourism decline cuts revenue, harms workers

This was a column that mentions the state of the local hospitality industry in 2009

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/col...s_workers.html

Since the early 1970s, San Antonio's River Walk has given our city much of its global identity, hosting millions of visitors each year. It is also a good barometer of the state of our huge tourism industry.

Sunday, after a great brunch at a River Walk hotel, I was surprised that the check was less than I paid previously. Then, a server confided that she and her co-workers — whose income is primarily from tips — had worried because so few reservations were made for the day. And there have been other worries, she said.

“Many conventions have canceled,” she said. “This economy is hurting us.”

On the River Walk, it was, as expected, August hot. But the crowd seemed thinner than usual.

I have long questioned the wisdom of investing so heavily in the “hospitality industry,” most of whose workers earn low wages, and get few, if any, benefits. After all, travel is among the most discretionary of expenditures for businesses and families alike.

When tourism declines, so do prices and tax revenues. Sagging occupancy rates lead to room-rate discounts and empty restaurant tables to price cuts.

Both reduce tax revenues further. But the real price is paid by workers who lose work hours.

Yes, tourism has its benefits. With our occupancy tax — one of the nation's highest — tourists pay for our city's big advertising budget and contribute to city arts and cultural groups. They are also paying for the ever-expanding Convention Center and funding River Walk improvements. And along with car-rental taxes, they paid for the AT&T Center and are paying for its never-ending improvements.

Tourists also beef up our sales tax and liquor-by-the-drink tax revenues.

But as budgets tighten, travel is slowing. And with unemployment around 10 percent nationally — and fueling anxieties — it isn't surprising that “staycation” has entered the American vocabulary.

It is also crimping the lives of tourism workers in ways few of us appreciate.

Gabriel Morales is a 30-year-old “in-room dining server.” He delivers room-service orders at the Grand Hyatt, whose workers are supposed to have the city's best working conditions after the operator agreed to concessions in exchange for building on city land at low rents, with city-backed financing and generous tax breaks.

Morales has been racking up decent hours since the Dallas Cowboys training camp headquartered at his hotel, he says. But working 38 hours this week and 42 last week, he is still a part-timer without health insurance.

“If I need to see a doctor, I'll have to choose between that and paying the rent,” he says. “And some people have worked 99 hours, and they are still part time.”

How badly our tourism industry is affected is yet to be determined.

Substantial tax revenue declines have been expected since at least April. But Wednesday, their magnitude became known. Occupancy taxes have declined 9 percent in the last year. And sales tax revenues, which were $198.3 million in 2008, are expected to be only $189.6 million in 2010.

Bad as that is, can you imagine the price the hospitality industry's front-line soldiers are paying?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 5:25 AM

HemisFair rebirth focus of nonprofit

An article about the Hemisfair park redevelopment.
I still think that any use should tie into the convention center

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/53180282.html

The city has created a nonprofit corporation to turn HemisFair Park from a forgotten area to a vibrant neighborhood where people live, work and play.

Many think the site, home to the 1968 World's Fair downtown, is underutilized. To address that issue, the city has formed the HemisFair Park Area Local Government Corp. to serve as a liaison between the city, developers and community groups with a stake in the area's future.

“It will be a bridging entity that will allow for the ultimate success of HemisFair Park. We want absolutely the best the country has to offer,” said Madison Smith, who will lead the corporation's 11-member board and is a principal of Overland Partners architects.

The City Council voted Thursday to create the corporation. Mayor Julián Castro called the board “a very impressive, diverse group of folks who have a passion for San Antonio, particularly for redeveloping our urban core.”

Controversy over HemisFair Park surfaced in 2004, when Landry's Restaurants wanted to redevelop it as an entertainment complex, a use local leaders felt was unsuitable.

The mission of the new corporation will be to foster a cohesive plan for an area that Smith said has great potential because it's larger than the River Bend area, Alamo Plaza and Rivercenter mall combined. He compared the board to the original HemisFair planners who began meeting years before HemisFair '68. It may take 10 or 20 years to guide the area to its potential, Smith said.

“We want to make it another city-changing place. Rather than handing it over to a developer, it's being put in the care of an entity that can stay the course,” he said.

One of the corporation's responsibilities will be to develop qualifications for a “world-class master planner,” said Xavier Gonzalez, another board member who also is chairman of the city's Historic and Design Review Commission.

The city adopted a master plan for the area in 2004. But Gonzalez said the plan lacked depth and “didn't really envision it as a neighborhood.”

Creation of the corporation is an outgrowth of the work this year by an ad-hoc committee that recommended an update to the HemisFair master plan.

Besides studying ways to adaptively reuse several historic homes in the area, the board also will explore the potential for commercial development, multi-family housing and a park with open green space, Gonzalez said. It also seeks to promote mobility for vehicles and pedestrians, and compatibility with La Villita to the west, the Convention Center to the north and the Lavaca neighborhood to the south.

The board, appointed by the City Council, is authorized to act on the city's behalf. It has power to buy, sell and accept land, without the legal restrictions placed on a municipality.

Other board members include former council members Debra Guerrero and Art Hall; developer Bill Shown; landscape architect John Laffoon; engineer Andrés Andújar; and other experts and community advocates — Daniel Lopez, Gini Garcia, Lisa Schmidt and David Zachry.

The San Antonio Conservation Society supports creation of the new entity.

“We're pleased with the direction the city is taking,” said Rollette Schreckenghost, society president.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
At least some progress is being made downtown. Is the Broadway supposed to be done later this year? I was thinking maybe December.

Here is that rendering of the River North Center. I don't know how old it is(maybe a year or a couple) but it's max height is 200'. I wonder if anything has actually been proposed or if that is too far off.
I think this will fit in nicely in the area. Kind of reminds me of a South Beach Miami hotel/condo building. Let's hope this one gets built.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 1:26 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Andres is on the Hemisfair Board!!!!

All is well in the world.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 10:16 PM
BANNED

Good..

I hope they tear down that 650ft overpriced restaurant. I am tired of that "building" keeping SA from getting more useable, eye pleasing construction to this city. Austin, San Diego and Boston all have populations lower than us, but yet have more to offer. Sad. On a side note, tear down that 1929 building next to the sight of the new Embassy suites hotel downtown. That building is horrible. It is the worst building I have ever seen. What person on earth thinks is beautiful?!---My three story apt complex looks better than that junk.
Be gone tower of Americas, be gone!!! Here is an idea, construct a muiti use building with a restaurant on top. That way all people get to enjoy it---For example, The Prudential Tower, instead of some hollow-out UFO looking plate with colored lights and a $25 and up menu. Tell me, what else does this building serve for the public or the private sector? You might as well have an Ihop on there.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 10:34 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
I hope they tear down that 650ft overpriced restaurant. I am tired of that "building" keeping SA from getting more useable, eye pleasing construction to this city. Austin, San Diego and Boston all have populations lower than us, but yet have more to offer. Sad. On a side note, tear down that 1929 building next to the sight of the new Embassy suites hotel downtown. That building is horrible. It is the worst building I have ever seen. What person on earth thinks is beautiful?!---My three story apt complex looks better than that junk.
Be gone tower of Americas, be gone!!! Here is an idea, construct a muiti use building with a restaurant on top. That way all people get to enjoy it---For example, The Prudential Tower, instead of some hollow-out UFO looking plate with colored lights and a $25 and up menu. Tell me, what else does this building serve for the public or the private sector? You might as well have an Ihop on there.

Er... uh... yeah.

Well anyway, welcome to the forum.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
Andres is on the Hemisfair Board!!!!

All is well in the world.
Yep. That's a great thing. He's such a great advocate for downtown and redevelopment.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
Ha, Boston ande San Diego I would agree, Austin, not quite. The Milam isn't so bad, great history, the first air conditioned skyscraper.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio