HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Those relief shots are a tad misleading though. Yes - Sask. has higher elevations than Manitoba, but we aren't talking Rocky Mountains here. And it's not like those high sections of relief scattered throughout the province jump out at you as you approach them on the highway - it's generally gentle rises in the topography.

I mean, looking at the map, you would think that eastern MB and NWO are flat as a pancake - and anyone who's ever been there would certainly argue otherwise.

I will concede to the fact that the areas immediately east and west of Winnipeg is without a doubt the flattest land I have ever encountered.
Actually, the map I posted should be a very accurate depiction of the topography. I don't know why you would think that eastern MB and NWO are flat from that picture.. you can clearly see a "rippled" texture in those areas, which is a good indicator of hilly terrain. The "flat" areas can easily be seen as the "smooth" areas.

now compare to this original image. notice how "smooth" the terrain is under the flat green areas?

You can also see from my overlay that the majority of the trans canada highway passes through the flat areas, which is why so many people think Saskatchewan has no hills.

Anyone who has driven thru Sask on the TCH also knows that the highway is actually rather hilly from Moose Jaw to the Alberta border, which is also evident by looking at the map.

So as you can see, that relief map is actually an accurate representation of how hilly Saskatchewan is. We are actually a very hilly province overall.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 4:49 AM

These threads showing off Sask seem to come up once in a while...though, I think it's better for promoting to not do it in the Sask/MB forum.

It's too bad Sask and MB don't try to promote their tourism more, as there are some amazing places in those two provinces. I hope to get out camping in Cypress area this year...and up north in the next year/two.

Qu'appelle valley is a very beautiful area...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 12:28 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
Actually, the map I posted should be a very accurate depiction of the topography. I don't know why you would think that eastern MB and NWO are flat from that picture.. you can clearly see a "rippled" texture in those areas, which is a good indicator of hilly terrain. The "flat" areas can easily be seen as the "smooth" areas.

now compare to this original image. notice how "smooth" the terrain is under the flat green areas?

You can also see from my overlay that the majority of the trans canada highway passes through the flat areas, which is why so many people think Saskatchewan has no hills.

Anyone who has driven thru Sask on the TCH also knows that the highway is actually rather hilly from Moose Jaw to the Alberta border, which is also evident by looking at the map.

So as you can see, that relief map is actually an accurate representation of how hilly Saskatchewan is. We are actually a very hilly province overall.
There is a sizable valley outside of Brandon, which is actually called Grand Valley, which isn't indicated on the map.

The city of Winnipeg is built on a flood plan, once the bottom of former historic giant Lake Agassi ... which has shunk into Lake Winnipeg and Lake Winnipegosis and Lake Manitoba. So you can expect that region to be flatter, although there is a steady and noticable decline in height towards the Red River, from Brandon. You can sort of see the outline of the former lake on the topography map ... aka Red River Valley, which is somewhat marked in green.

Last edited by newflyer; Mar 29, 2007 at 12:40 AM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 12:50 AM
Movin' on up

Also, you can notice the decent into the Red River valley coming from the east on the TCH, around Richer, Mb. where there is a relatively long but obvious decent in elevation; you can also see the city skyline on a real clear night (or day, actually as I have seen it) from that point aswell. It is really cool to be coming out of the shield and be able to see the Oak-savannah tall grass prairie on the horizon. I love it!

Last edited by Greco Roman; Mar 29, 2007 at 12:55 AM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
Also, you can notice the decent into the Red River valley coming from the east on the TCH, around Richer, Mb. where there is a relatively long but obvious decent in elevation; you can also see the city skyline on a real clear night (or day, actually as I have seen it) from that point aswell. It is really cool to be coming out of the shield and be able to see the Oak-savannah tall grass prairie on the horizon. I love it!
The gradient are far more dramatic on highways north and south of the TCH. Highways No 23 and No 3 (which are to the south of the TCH) shows an increadible view of the Red River Valley as you are heading east. The escarpment on the east side of Riding Mountain and the east side of the Duck Mountains are very dramatic. But if the majority of Canadians use only the TCH or fly then they will never see these views.

Last edited by VANRIDERFAN; Mar 29, 2007 at 1:34 AM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 1:37 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
The gradient are far more dramatic on highways north and south of the TCH. Highways No 23 and No 3 (which are to the south of the TCH) shows an increadible view of the Red River Valley as you are heading east. The escarpment on the east side of Riding Mountain and the east side of the Duck Mountains are very dramatic. But if the majority of Canadians use only the TCH or fly then they will never see these views.
Oh, I agree, these areas provide a great scenic opportunity. However, there isn't much road access to eastern Manitoba, so the TCH is the only real option coming from Ontario westward.

Well, hwy. 12 south of Steinbach also provides a good vista view coming into the Red River valley from the southeast.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 2:53 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Oh, I agree, these areas provide a great scenic opportunity. However, there isn't much road access to eastern Manitoba, so the TCH is the only real option coming from Ontario westward.

Well, hwy. 12 south of Steinbach also provides a good vista view coming into the Red River valley from the southeast.
I am going to have to take some time one summer and take a look around southern Manitoba some more. I have been on the main highways, but I want to check out some more of the secondary routes in SE Manitoba. This summer I plan to take a day trip to see the Winnipeg River damns.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 2:57 AM
Canadian Urbanite

You'd think with the other 100 Manitoba threads on this board, you wouldn't have to turn a thread titled "Saskatchewan" into a conversation about MB.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 3:15 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
You'd think with the other 100 Manitoba threads on this board, you wouldn't have to turn a thread titled "Saskatchewan" into a conversation about MB.
Sorry .. it turned into a thead about terrain.

... but you have to admit Manitoba has some pretty interesting land forms.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 3:20 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Sorry .. it turned into a thead about terrain.

... but you have to admit Manitoba has some pretty interesting land forms.
To tell you the truth, it has been many years since I've been to Manitoba. But that being said, it's truly a great place with some very unique geography. I hope to get to Winnipeg this summer, perhaps for a weekend getaway. Being from Saskatchewan has taught me not to sell anyplace short.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 3:37 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
To tell you the truth, it has been many years since I've been to Manitoba. But that being said, it's truly a great place with some very unique geography. I hope to get to Winnipeg this summer, perhaps for a weekend getaway. Being from Saskatchewan has taught me not to sell anyplace short.
Oh you should .. Winnipeg is a GREAT summer city!! Infact I am going there myself this summer. I can't wait!!

Kilometers apon kilometres of powder white sand all along the south shore of Lake Winnipeg. Its fantastic!! ... and all within 1 hour of the city.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 3:38 AM
Movin' on up

Ahhh, I miss REAL beaches.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 3:42 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Ahhh, I miss REAL beaches.
Me too ... but in 99 short days I'll be Winnipeg bound.

.. oh and don't forget those yummy beach fries.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 3:54 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Me too ... but in 99 short days I'll be Winnipeg bound.

.. oh and don't forget those yummy beach fries.
Yeah, the stand at Patricia Beach has the best fries ever!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 10:08 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Yeah, the stand at Patricia Beach has the best fries ever!
I will try to get out there this summer. I also want to hit Grand Beach, Winnipeg Beach, Gimili and someone mentioned I should check out beacona. Lets just say I'll be getting my fill of summer while I am in Winnipeg.

I am really looking forward to it.

Once its over I'll be heading back to sweater-ville .. aka Calgary.

Last edited by newflyer; Apr 1, 2007 at 6:25 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan