HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 1:52 PM
Formerly rypinion

I assume it's because of winter that they feel this necessary instead of just painting the bike lane well. Or perhaps they plan to start removing some signs once they feel drivers get used to it.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 3:21 PM

It's one sign for the intersection (Garry & Graham) and then one for each of the five driveways on the east side of Garry on that block. That so many driveways for cars to pull in and out of exist here is itself is a whole other issue for the pedestrian and cycling environment... but even so, the sign clutter is total overkill.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
It's one sign for the intersection (Garry & Graham) and then one for each of the five driveways on the east side of Garry on that block. That so many driveways for cars to pull in and out of exist here is itself is a whole other issue for the pedestrian and cycling environment... but even so, the sign clutter is total overkill.
This speaks to the City just not knowing how to do cycling infrastructure right.

The funny thing is that this has already been perfected for years in many European and Asian locales... the should just send a few of its engineering personnel over to observe, learn and quit doing stuff like signing a bike lane as though it's a motor expressway.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 5:48 PM

They installed a bike repair station on graham by True North Square

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
This speaks to the City just not knowing how to do cycling infrastructure right.

The funny thing is that this has already been perfected for years in many European and Asian locales... the should just send a few of its engineering personnel over to observe, learn and quit doing stuff like signing a bike lane as though it's a motor expressway.
Meanwhile there's so many other spots where just a couple of signs and a tiny bit of paint would do wonders and there's nothing. My favourite is at the end of the Assiniboine bike lane:
https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8832...7i13312!8i6656

where I think bikes are supposed to cross the sidewalk and get on the asphalt path. But there's nothing letting bikes know where to go, or letting pedestrians know there's a bike path crossing the sidewalk. Lots of near misses there, and lots of bikes just get on the sidewalk or go the wrong way down Assiniboine...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 7:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post

And the tools are still there?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post

Put the same one in the pocket parks on Academy too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Meanwhile there's so many other spots where just a couple of signs and a tiny bit of paint would do wonders and there's nothing. My favourite is at the end of the Assiniboine bike lane:
https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8832...7i13312!8i6656

where I think bikes are supposed to cross the sidewalk and get on the asphalt path. But there's nothing letting bikes know where to go, or letting pedestrians know there's a bike path crossing the sidewalk. Lots of near misses there, and lots of bikes just get on the sidewalk or go the wrong way down Assiniboine...
Agreed. What they should also do is just expand the actual sidewalk there to be a shared AT path, because it's so dumb to get cyclists to swoop down by the river only to come back up to the street again on the other side of the stairs. And there's often a lot of people hanging out down there, and it's just a giant blind corner.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 3:50 PM
BANNED

anyone know where to find updates on the Garry St bike lanes? or about the proposed Assiniboine pedestrian/cycling bridge that was offered money by the Winnipeg Foundation?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 4:59 PM
What could go wrong?

The McFayden Pedestrian bridge isn't on the slate for 2020. So beyond that it needs funding.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The McFayden Pedestrian bridge isn't on the slate for 2020. So beyond that it needs funding.
So no money even for preliminary (design, consultation, etc) work? No movement on this at all for 2020?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 1:36 PM
What could go wrong?

Preliminary Design has been completed by WSP.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 4:46 PM

My work day view is Pembina Hwy. What's up with cyclists refusing to use the bike lanes and riding in the traffic lane? I see that pretty much everyday. What would be the reason for making that choice?

Also see a lot of two-way traffic in those lanes. Are there actual rules that prohibit that?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 6:23 PM
BANNED

^ lot's of cyclists have noticed pedestrians standing in the bike lanes that divert around bus stops, so they avoid them.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 9:20 PM
BANNED

it seems like some of the hold ups around information for the wolseley to downtown and assiniboine bridge/osborne village plans are due to the transit master plan... several streets that currently have stops/transit on them wouldn't under the new transit plan, so it seems like we might see some more route design changes.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 2:46 AM

If you think the traffic signals at McDermot & Main are confusing since they put the bike lanes in... go drive down Garry – it's an absolute shit show. Unlike anything else in the city. It's like every mode of transport (ped/bike/vehicle) and every lane is on its own schedule completely independent from one another. It makes no sense. The signage is abysmal as well.

I don't understand how this city struggles so much with proper signage and signal design. It's truly baffling.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 3:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
If you think the traffic signals at McDermot & Main are confusing since they put the bike lanes in... go drive down Garry – it's an absolute shit show. Unlike anything else in the city. It's like every mode of transport (ped/bike/vehicle) and every lane is on its own schedule completely independent from one another. It makes no sense. The signage is abysmal as well.

I don't understand how this city struggles so much with proper signage and signal design. It's truly baffling.
Went down Garry today, had a red light and a green arrow (both horizontally and both on) neither was for the bike lane, I proceeded through the car behind me stopped, WTF?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 3:45 AM
BANNED

^ there are different lights for different lanes. no left turn when the light on the left is red. cyclists get a green light for the the first 10 or so seconds as well as the southbound and westbound vehicle lanes, then they are stopped and vehicles can turn left

The City’s public education and awareness around it hasn’t been great but it mostly makes sense

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
^ there are different lights for different lanes. no left turn when the light on the left is red. cyclists get a green light for the the first 10 or so seconds as well as the southbound and westbound vehicle lanes, then they are stopped and vehicles can turn left

The City’s public education and awareness around it hasn’t been great but it mostly makes sense
Still confusing, far left is bike lane, I was in the centre lane with a red light but was going straight, lane to my right had a green arrow forward, guy to my right drove thru as did I, noticed the guy behind he stopped but then proceeded forward behind me. Have never seen such a clusterfuck light issue in all my years of driving!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:18 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Went down Garry today, had a red light and a green arrow (both horizontally and both on) neither was for the bike lane, I proceeded through the car behind me stopped, WTF?

Glad no one got hurt.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
My work day view is Pembina Hwy. What's up with cyclists refusing to use the bike lanes and riding in the traffic lane? I see that pretty much everyday. What would be the reason for making that choice?
I'd say the following might be reasons:

1) the bus stop islands
the bike lane on pembina loops around bus stops. this isn't necessarily a bad design idea, if you create a small 'island' for those waiting for the bus (eg). but on pembina, the "bike lane" is at the same level and made of the same materials as the sidewalk. if there's any sort of crowd waiting for a bus, you're likely to ride your bike into a bunch of people standing around. (for example, at the tip of the bus stop 'island' here, it could work -- different height, different materials. but where the bus stop is actually located, the sidewalk and bike lane are indistinguishable.)

2) debris.
a lot of debris gets pushed into the bike lane and doesn't get cleared out. if you're riding a mountain bike with underinflated tires, that's probably fine. if you're on a road bike with thin tires, that may be a problem.

3) continuity
the pembina bike lane basically appears and disappears several times. for instance at crescent, the bike lane just randomly ends at an intersection. no signage, you just get spit out into the intersection into a lane that no longer exists and you have to merge into traffic. i can understand people feeling like it's safer just to take a lane.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan