HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 8:42 AM
BANNED

Nature sucks.

Build baby build.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 1:12 PM

Coruscant coruscant sorucsant....... I wanna know more about Taris!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 1:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 10:05 AM

While I am fascinated by sky scrapers , I certainly wouldn't want to lose our precious trees . And I personally don't think such a planet can survive for long. Lack of trees will probably reduce the oxygen content in the atmosphere. Plus with lack of trees, the likelihood of soil erosion will increase which will pollute the water supply. With lack of flora and fauna the whole environmental balance will be altered drastically. This will take toll on the inhabitants of the planet. But who knows ,they were a very technologically advanced civilization and might have found out ways to live without much vegetation.
For eg oxygen can also be generated through the process of electrolysis where water molecules are split into elements of oxygen and hydrogen. Hydrogen can be used as useful fuel and oxygen is important for our survival. So there could have been many electrolysis plants on the planet. There could also be many distillation and desalination plants on the planet to obtain pure water. These factors could have helped in the the survival of the inhabitants of Coruscant . Plus being a technologically advanced civilization they might have exploited the resources of other planets whose inhabitants were slightly less advanced.
But seriously doubt that such a planet will survive for long

Personally by the way things are going , I guess in few centuries our planet will look almost like Coruscant if timely measures are not taken to conserve our forests.

Besides we humans are nature's part and parcel . An artificial environment won't keep us happy for long. There should be a balance of the artificial and the natural.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 6:01 PM
BANNED

^We'll just import the oxygen!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 2:39 AM
Downtowner

She Died!

Coruscant was destroyed in the movie so we will actually never know its urban to rural percentage.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
^We'll just import the oxygen!
The right word will be plunder the oxygen

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 6:26 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Earth will never become Coruscant for two reasons.

First, Coruscant is just too damn big. Although everyone seems to claim that Coruscant has 1 trillion people (idk where that number came from), some simple math says that estimate is wayyyy off. in fact it would probably more than a million times that (a quintillion). It's easy to forget just how small humans are, but consider that with the density of Manila, the LA basin alone could comfortably house the entire world population, and with the density of the Kowloon Walled City, it could house just about 40 times that. In fact with Kowloon-Walled-City-densities, (which could be made quite comfortable with modern architecture... remember the walled city was only 7-10 stories tall), the Northeast Corridor alone could surpass the trillion people mark.

Secondly, as the cradle planet of the human species and our civilization, the various ecosystems of Earth are and always will be deeply ingrained in our culture, and as we expand out into the universe, we will attempt to carry those ecosystems with us using aeroponics, fish farming and other technologies. Earth will be remembered as the only place in the universe that all those plants, animals, etc occur naturally, and the place that humanity itself occurred naturally. Just as we protect heritage sites like the Pyramids of Giza, the Great Wall of China, and the Parthenon, we will protect the naturally-occurring biosphere that gave rise to the people who built them.

To put it simply, the Earth of the future is a planet-wide heritage site, where human activity is banned everywhere except in the existing cities, which, as explained above, will be able to fit a trillion people quite comfortably.

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Last edited by jbermingham123; Mar 20, 2016 at 7:07 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 7:24 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by IconRPCV View Post
Coruscant was destroyed in the movie so we will actually never know its urban to rural percentage.
Not to get too nerdy... but that was not Coruscant that got destroyed.

The movie was not heavy on political details but apparently the New Republic set up their new capital on a different urban planet, in the Hosnian system.

Also - I always assumed Coruscant was much smaller than Earth. Surface area is proportional to the square of the radius, so a planet the size of the Moon (diameter 1/4 of the Earth) would have only 1/16 the surface area.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 12:48 AM
Pro Web Slinger

I'm sure many people have noticed this, but you can actually see buildings that exist in real life on the Coruscant skyline. Some of these buildings are easily recognizable, too, such as 2 Prudential Plaza from Chicago (seen behind and to the left of Padme during a scene in Episode III)

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 7:24 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
It's easy to forget just how small humans are, but consider that with the density of Manila, the LA basin alone could comfortably house the entire world population, and with the density of the Kowloon Walled City, it could house just about 40 times that. In fact with Kowloon-Walled-City-densities, (which could be made quite comfortable with modern architecture... remember the walled city was only 7-10 stories tall), the Northeast Corridor alone could surpass the trillion people mark.
That's a good point. They say that if you take all of the land on Earth, and look at where humans live, we only take up 1% of the landmass. And it is true because just look at the vast emptiness in most countries, and how small cities or metros are compared to what is uninhabited.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 4:49 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
just watched attack of the clones last night... first time id seen it since i was a little kid.. i now realize coruscant was the best actor in the movie.

also.. i keep scrolling past this picture in the 10 HY thread... and i just can't see it without seeing coruscant. its something about the lighting maybe..

originally posted by nyc_alex:

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 4:27 PM

Here's Orion's Arm's version of a city planet:

- the title of the article, Trip
- the author's name, Mike Miller
- the name of the publication, Orion's Arm Universe Project
- the date of publication, August 2016 based on January 2002 "stub"
- a URL to the original article, http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/47a67ce4bf7a5
- only the first few sentences or the first paragraph of the article (not the entire article).
Trip is a planet in the 61 Cygni system. It has been summarized as simply, 'a business paradise during the First Federation period,' which is an adequate enough summary for many modosophonts.

Last edited by Tom Mazanec; Aug 24, 2016 at 5:15 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 5:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Not to get too nerdy... but that was not Coruscant that got destroyed.

The movie was not heavy on political details but apparently the New Republic set up their new capital on a different urban planet, in the Hosnian system.

Also - I always assumed Coruscant was much smaller than Earth. Surface area is proportional to the square of the radius, so a planet the size of the Moon (diameter 1/4 of the Earth) would have only 1/16 the surface area.
Wasn't this a retcon though? People were upset that they destroyed Coruscant so Abrams just made up that it was some other urban planet and called it a day.

Either way, I really hated that plot point. Gives credence to the argument that the galaxy was actually better off under imperial rule:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/the-ca...e/article/2540

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture