HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 4:40 AM
BANNED

"Think Regina" CJME Poll

News Poll

Do you believe the business trip to Calgary to try and get more Albertans to "Think Regina" was worth it?
Yes
44.65%
No
30.63%
We'll have to wait and see
24.72%

Looks like the respondents on CJME's poll are fairly evenly split. 25% take a wait and see attitude, 31% do not agree with the campaign, and 45% like the idea.

My observation is that the shine on these promotions are starting dull for residents here. I would guess that if this poll was taken a year ago. Yes would have garnered over 75%. I hope the 25% taking a wait and see attitude, get fed up with all flash and no substance.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 4:52 AM

^But Quimby, popular opinion polls have very little to do with actual results...

Maybe you should do some digging to see how the campaign managers were actually going to track the success of this marketing campaign, and then factor in the cost to see if it was a success.

As much as I love Calgary and living here, I do know several people that are getting more disgruntled here with cost of living going up (especially, those that don't buy something before the huge price jump last year), the increasing "rat race" (not as bad as my experieince in TO, but getting much worse), etc...it would seem like the best time for cities like Regina to market themselves. Of course, cost/success is always a factor though.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
^But Quimby, popular opinion polls have very little to do with actual results...

Maybe you should do some digging to see how the campaign managers were actually going to track the success of this marketing campaign, and then factor in the cost to see if it was a success.

As much as I love Calgary and living here, I do know several people that are getting more disgruntled here with cost of living going up (especially, those that don't buy something before the huge price jump last year), the increasing "rat race" (not as bad as my experieince in TO, but getting much worse), etc...it would seem like the best time for cities like Regina to market themselves. Of course, cost/success is always a factor though.
I agree but how many campaigns run concurrently in the City of Calgary, not service campaigns but booster or promotional campaigns ? We have over 6 for a city of 177k.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:11 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Quimby View Post
I agree but how many campaigns run concurrently in the City of Calgary, not service campaigns but booster or promotional campaigns ? We have over 6 for a city of 177k.
Wow, 6?

Can you name all 6 please?

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:15 AM
BANNED

Albertans have been running numerous promotions promoting their province here in Saskatchewan over the years and you never hear them bitching and complaining. I wonder how that has worked out for them??? alberta with a booming economy makes them want to promote........Regina with a booming economy makes them want to promote resulting in Quimby whining like a schoolgirl.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Wow, 6?

Can you name all 6 please?
Again?

I Love Regina

Think Regina

Branding Regina

Tourism Regina (new marketing- more $$)

Downtown Regina (Banners, events,etc)

Action Regina

Shaping Regina

Vision for Regina

Mayor's Task Force on Regina

I Love Regina... In Bloom

There is 10, some of them are worthwhile, some are very important and some are superfluous.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Albertans have been running numerous promotions promoting their province here in Saskatchewan over the years and you never hear them bitching and complaining. I wonder how that has worked out for them??? alberta with a booming economy makes them want to promote........Regina with a booming economy makes them want to promote resulting in Quimby whining like a schoolgirl.
Ah, a member of the "Must be like Alberta Cult "

You have told me to move away from Regina for critical remarks but I have never referred to another city or province to emulate like you do with Alberta and Calgary. I hate to say it but pick up and move there.

I want Regina to be Regina, not Calgary but smaller.

Last edited by Mayor Quimby; May 4, 2007 at 5:28 AM. Reason: typo

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:23 AM

Quote:

You have told me to move away in the best but I have never referred to another city or province to emulate like you do with Alberta and Calgary. I hate to say it but pick up and move there.

What exactly do you think this city should be, then? You go on about what it shouldn't be, but what would you do differently??

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannyMuffin View Post
What exactly do you think this city should be, then? You go on about what it shouldn't be, but what would you do differently??
I have many times and the majority of my posts come with an alternative policy choice.

But I must ask, What's wrong that we need to be something else ?

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:

You have told me to move away in the best but I have never referred to another city or province to emulate like you do with Alberta and Calgary. I hate to say it but pick up and move there.

Who says we must be like Alberta??? All I am stating is that the formula for Alberta and its cities has worked so why is it such a bad thing that we follow suite? I want Regina to be Regina as well but I want it to prosper and grow as much as the next guy. Right now we are enjoying an economic boom and what better way to get the word out then promotions such as this. Go and check out the pics thread in the other forum and see how many members want to visit Regina after seeing the photo's that I and others have posted. And that is just on these forums......can you imagine the amount of people whom see these events???

That said, unfortunately in years past we didn't promote our city as much as we should've so it shouldn't be a surprise with the amount of shock there is from people in Canada whom don't know a God damn thing about our great city. And whatta ya know.......just as I write this post, a commercial promoting the city of Orlando is on the tube. What was that mayor thinking????

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:29 AM

^Sorry - I hate bringing Calgary into other non-Calgary threads :-) But, for me, its where I live, and though I've only visited Regina a few times, I'm very interested in seeing the success of all cities on the prairies. I hope too, that getting "outsiders" perspectives are welcome.

Quimby, you've mentioned all of those marketing campaigns in the past as well, and that isn't uncommon for a city to have multiple marketing campaigns...are you sure a) those are all municipal-run campaigns, and b) that the focus of each campaign is to promote the city outside of Sask?

Also, what is the overall cost of each of these campaigns to the taxpayer - and what are the results so far? How are they measured? Truly, you have to have those answers before really questioning their worth.

As a citizen though, I can see that it might seem too much though.

Also - I think the strength of the "Think Regina" campaign (at least, how I interpreted it) is based on how Regina is different from Calgary - not the same.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Who says we must be like Alberta??? All I am stating is that the formula for Alberta and its cities has worked so why is it such a bad thing that we follow suite? I want Regina to be Regina as well but I want it to prosper and grow as much as the next guy. Right now we are enjoying an economic boom and what better way to get the word out then promotions such as this. Go and check out the pics thread in the other forum and read about how many members want to visit Regina after seeing the photo's that I and others have posted. Unfortunately in years past we didn't promote our city as much as we should've so it shouldn't be a surprise with the amount of shock there is from people in Canada whom don't know a God damn thing about our great city. And whatta ya know.......just as I write this post, a commercial promoting the city of Orlando is on the tube. What was that mayor thinking????
Your kidding right ? They are a unmitigated urban disaster.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Go and check out the pics thread in the other forum and read about how many members want to visit Regina after seeing the photo's that I and others have posted. Unfortunately in years past we didn't promote our city as much as we should've so it shouldn't be a surprise with the amount of shock there is from people in Canada whom don't know a God damn thing about our great city.
Yes, the city and prov should be promoting the city...and not to get a campaign to lure people to move there versus a travel regina/sask campaign (which, btw, there was a great insert in the Herald a month ago showing-off Sask travel). Again, it may quickly appear to be "so many" marketing campaigns, but they have very different goals.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:34 AM

Quote:
How do you figure??

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:36 AM

Quote:
^Sorry - I hate bringing Calgary into other non-Calgary threads :-) But, for me, its where I live, and though I've only visited Regina a few times, I'm very interested in seeing the success of all cities on the prairies. I hope too, that getting "outsiders" perspectives are welcome.

Quimby, you've mentioned all of those marketing campaigns in the past as well, and that isn't uncommon for a city to have multiple marketing campaigns...are you sure a) those are all municipal-run campaigns, and b) that the focus of each campaign is to promote the city outside of Sask?

Also, what is the overall cost of each of these campaigns to the taxpayer - and what are the results so far? How are they measured? Truly, you have to have those answers before really questioning their worth.

Also - I think the strength of the "Think Regina" campaign (at least, how I interpreted it) is based on how Regina is different from Calgary - not the same.
That's exactly it.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:

I agree with multiple, but with a ratio close 1 for every 15,000 residents is a bit much. All those receive some municipal funding, directly or indirectly.

Quote:
I believe those questions should be researched and answered as much as possible prior to spending the money. Also, no data is publicly available unless you are willing fork out $100/hr for a document search and production. The budget isn't clear on totals for all these campaigns but my guess is over $1 Million per year of a budget of $225 million. I believe one could reduce costs by nearly $500k without losing much in outcome. This could be used to fend off property tax increases, housing projects, rental licences, curbside recycling, etc.

I have seen the website, the Leader-Post had a full section spread and the message I got was, We're just like Calgary but cheaper. The Wal-Mart marketing strategy.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Calgary's biggest problem is that they grew too fast and couldn't keep up.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
How do you figure??
Do you feel they are a model for successful urban planning ?

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannyMuffin View Post
Calgary's biggest problem is that they grew too fast and couldn't keep up.
In urban planning that is called a lack of planning.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:47 AM

Quote:
In urban planning that is called a lack of planning.
And it's Calgary's problem, not ours...Regina is a very well planned city. A person can look at the planning that the city is doing and say "well, we don't need that now, we're not big enough" and not do anything. Or, you can look at it as planning for the future so you don't end up in a situation like Calgary.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan