HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 2:01 PM
Rachacha rez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Seems like a small world sometimes doesn't it? 3 or 4 generations, eh. Your family must make up at least 1/4 of the residents in Brooktondale.
I like to joke that I'm related to half of the people out there and one of my buddies is related to the other half.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 2:03 PM
Rachacha rez

Hate to say it, but the other stores have better locations, at least from an access standpoint and for proximity to jobs (except the Gimme Coffee locations, but they're more neighborhood (Fall Creek and Southside) oriented than the ones in the vicinity of the Commons. Besides, can't you still get a cup of coffee at Mayer's?

Quote:
New addition to downtown (going into the new Gateway Commons building which Vis posted a pic of up above.

Local coffee company opens downtown location
By Jim Catalano
Journal Staff

ITHACA — Local caffeine crazies now have another place to sate their java jones, as Ithaca Coffee Company opened its downtown store Thursday.

Located at 311 E. Green St., in the new Gateway Commons building recently developed by Mack and Carol Travis, the 2,100-square-foot store sits at one of Ithaca's busiest intersections.

“We were interested in going downtown, maybe not quite this quickly, but I think it's a good location and a good fit for our products,” said Julie Crowley, president of Ithaca Coffee Company. “It's not just a little convenience store. It's in this higher end apartment complex. We also wanted to get our coffee into the downtown market, which I think is very different than up here on the hill.”

The Crowley family, which has owned Triphammer Wines and Spirits in Lansing's Triphammer Plaza for more than 60 years, purchased Gourmet's Delight in 2004 and turned it into the Ithaca Coffee Company, located next to the liquor store.
The products offered in the new location are similar to the Triphammer Plaza store, with a couple of major differences.

“This has a bigger espresso bar, and we expanded the food selection to serve the area,” she said. “But we'll still have the selection of cheese, gourmet food and candies, more specialty food, and beers, once we get our liquor license.”

Professionals who work in the area are excited to have another store in the area.

“It's always lovely to have more food and beverages close to home,” said Judy Dietz, community liaison for the History Center at Tompkins County in the adjoining Gateway Plaza building. “People can come over and do their research or look at the exhibits, then go next store to pick up something.”

Crowley is not necessarily trying to attract students to the new store.

“I'm not banking so much on them, though you can't discount the student population because it's so big,” she said. “But there are a lot of residents in that area, and a lot of professionals driving past to work. There's some parking out front, which is a plus downtown, but it's going to be Mack's challenge to regulate it.”

Café manager Chris Ganger has been working at the Lansing store for nearly two years, and has a familiar customer base.

“I can go two or three hours in the morning without talking, just handing out drinks,” he said.

But he's looking forward to building a new clientele. “I expect to attract a slightly different group of people, but this location is a lot more visible,” he said. “The busier we are, the better the drinks will get.”

Several other cafes, including Juna's, Gimme! Coffee and Starbucks, already serve downtown Ithaca. But Crowley says Ithaca Coffee Company is taking another approach.

“We've got a different business model than the other coffee places in town,” she said, noting the long history and success of the Lansing store. “The espresso bar is going be emphasized a bit more, due to the traffic. And I'm sure the product mix will develop for the market; maybe we'll add more convenience items. People will tell you what they want.”

Call 273-7800 or visit www.triphammerwines.com for more information.

jcatalano@ithacajournal.com

Originally published March 23, 2007

Here's the one posted comment

Post a Comment View All Comments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
starting to get the feeling that this will turn into another collegetown debacle, where 5 different places start serving the exact same thing on the same block, and follow the exact same model, in an area with ridiculous rents, and they just devour eachother's profit margins. any bets on which one of the downtown coffee shops closes first?

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:53 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 10:56 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whit_x View Post
Hate to say it, but the other stores have better locations, at least from an access standpoint and for proximity to jobs (except the Gimme Coffee locations, but they're more neighborhood (Fall Creek and Southside) oriented than the ones in the vicinity of the Commons. Besides, can't you still get a cup of coffee at Mayer's?

Yeah, I too thought about it being a bit off the main stream of pedestrian flow. There will be residents (not that many) and office workers (not sure how many folks work in the Gateway Center), and visitors to the museum, but not many passersby.

I haven't been in Mayers for 4 decades.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 11:05 PM
Rachacha rez

Quote:
Yeah, I too thought about it being a bit off the main stream of pedestrian flow. There will be residents (not that many) and office workers (not sure how many folks work in the Gateway Center), and visitors to the museum, but not many passersby.

I haven't been in Mayers for 4 decades.
Have to admit that Mayer's is one of those places that I miss by not living in Ithaca. In the days before the Internet and Barnes and Noble, that was the only place to get any thing to read that was out of the ordinary (OK, that and I was a kid, so the vast collection of pro wrestling magazines was a bit of a lure too.)

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 5:12 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ Yeah, I use to go as a kid (and teen) to check out the comics, hobby mags, and walk by and catch a glimpse of the "adult" stuff (true detective and others with some scantily clad lasses ).

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 12:21 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Here's a pic I found on flickr (from Upsilon Andromedae). I'm sure someone will be able to figure out where it was taken (in 1985 btw).

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 1:35 PM
Missing the Gorges

Holy crap! Is that really the corner of College and Dryden! I only recognise the grill and the Palms! Wow, those apartment towers changed the scenery a great deal more than I originally thought.

http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps...WS01/704030327

Apparently, Inlet Island has a parking problem.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 2:31 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ Yep, quite the difference, but it has been over 20 years.

I saw the Inlet Isle article, me thinks there may be a parking garage in the future, cause there's no more land.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 1:18 AM
Rachacha rez

Quote:
^ Yep, quite the difference, but it has been over 20 years.

I saw the Inlet Isle article, me thinks there may be a parking garage in the future, cause there's no more land.
The convenience store building is still there (Just empty now, except for the ATM. Give it another 15 years, and the only landmark I'll have in C-Town will be the Nines.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 3:25 PM
Missing the Gorges

http://www.ithacajournal.com/apps/pb...WS01/704040337

Town planning board meeting- two developments

They are having issue with the design of the entrance to the monatsery. Sight lines, apparently.

They approved a 23,000 sq.ft, 2-storey retail center called "College Crossings". It will house, a bank, a restaurant, and five other retail spaces. This will be in the southeast part of the town (for those who might reading along, note that the town of Ithaca surrounds the city of Ithaca). However, they have to go to the zoning board, because its 40-ft. height needs a 4 ft. height variance. It will be on the corner of Danby (96B) and E. Kings Rds.
Since this is close at IC and not near Cornell, the college they tend to draw isn't mine .

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 11:46 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Yeah Vis, that 40 foot height limit

Nice to get some more commercial development near IC.

btw, here's a link to the new monastery:

http://www.namgyal.org/

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 1:06 AM
Rachacha rez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visiteur View Post
http://www.ithacajournal.com/apps/pb...WS01/704040337

Town planning board meeting- two developments

They are having issue with the design of the entrance to the monatsery. Sight lines, apparently.

They approved a 23,000 sq.ft, 2-storey retail center called "College Crossings". It will house, a bank, a restaurant, and five other retail spaces. This will be in the southeast part of the town (for those who might reading along, note that the town of Ithaca surrounds the city of Ithaca). However, they have to go to the zoning board, because its 40-ft. height needs a 4 ft. height variance. It will be on the corner of Danby (96B) and E. Kings Rds.
Since this is close at IC and not near Cornell, the college they tend to draw isn't mine .

I'm all for more stuff on South Hill, since for years, other than Big Al's, the Coddington , and Rogan's there weren't many choices for food. Plus a bank is kind of needed up there. I'm just a bit shocked that Rite Aid hasn't put a store up there yet.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 10:10 AM
Old Fart Forumer

More good news for the tourism effort in Ithaca. http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps...WS01/704050337 (with a couple of pics)

Hilton hotel adds 91 suites
Homewood a 'suite' addition
By Tim Ashmore
Journal Staff

ITHACA — On Cinema Drive, past the Triphammer Mall, developers from the Waterford Hotel Group are putting the finishing touches on Homewood Suites, the latest addition to Ithaca's growing tourism business.

The all-suite hotel is on schedule to open in late spring, said general manager Jenny Cast.

“The Homewood Suites is a great addition to our overall room inventory,” said Fred Bonn, the director of the Ithaca/Tompkins County convention and visitors bureau.

In recent years, the Ithaca-Tompkins County Convention and Visitors Bureau and the Strategic Tourism Planning Board have made conscious efforts to place Ithaca and Tompkins County on the map as a vacation destination.
Homewood Suites will add 91 suites to Ithaca's growing room supply. Coupled with increased funding for tourism promotion, the new hotel expects to do well.

“Having the extra room of a suite and some of our amenities will give us an edge for families and business and anyone staying long term,” said Amy Magdon, Homewood's director of sales for Homewood.

Among the amenities offered by Homewood is complimentary grocery service; guests will be able to leave a list of groceries for one of the hotel employees, and the list of items is delivered to the room.

“Ithaca has a strong market. There are the colleges and there are lots of business owners in the area,” Cast said.

“And we think that Homewood's proximity to those will attract a lot of people.”

Homewood's opening should add to the county's coffers in the form of the room tax — money that is recycled back into the community to promote tourism, Bonn said.

From 2005 to 2006, the market grew by 10.2 percent in overall room revenue.

From 2005 to 2006, the room supply in Ithaca grew by 8 percent, according to the Smith Travel Research. Along with the growth in the room supply in Tompkins County, the bureau also saw an increase in occupancy of the rooms, according to the report.

“What we're seeing is a direct result of the Legislature working with the Strategic Tourism Planning Board and building and marketing Tompkins County as a good destination,” Bonn said.

Since 2004, Ithaca has welcomed two new hotels, as well as the expansion of La Tourelle Resort and Spa. After the Homewood Suites opens this spring, the Country Inn and Suites on Route 96B near Ithaca College is scheduled to open in the summer.

“The suites are an untapped market in this area, and we think they're going to do very well,” said Elana Farwell, general manager at the Econo Lodge.

Originally published April 5, 2007

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 1:36 PM
Missing the Gorges

I've been watching this under consturction for some time now. I'm glad to see it is nearly complete.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 9:54 PM
Rachacha rez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visiteur View Post

I've been watching this under consturction for some time now. I'm glad to see it is nearly complete.
Glad to see the space is seeing some use, since other than the year or 2 that Hoyt's rehabed the theater on the site, the building that was there was empty since the late 80's.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 1:26 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Typically Ithaca, gotta love the place.

Farmer's Market to use compostable cutlery for zero waste, sustainability
By Jennie Daley
Journal Staff

ITHACA — Don't throw away that fork. With only compostable utensils and plates available, that's the message vendors at the Ithaca Farmer's Market will be trying to get out when it opens for the season at 9 a.m. Saturday.

The move is part of the market's commitment to becoming a zero-waste operation. After years of filling up trash can after trash can with plastic spoons and polystyrene bowls, the market's board of directors decided it was time to shift costs from garbage collection to garbage reduction.

ADVERTISEMENT

Jan Norman, chair of the market's sustainability committee and a board member, said market vendors and the board had been talking about the possibility of shifting to compostables for some time.

At first, the obstacle was high cost for a limited number of options, Norman said. Since then several manufacturers have entered the field, and organizers found the distributor Regional Access helpful in providing several brands from which to choose. The only snag they've hit so far is finding compostable lids for hot drink cups. Norman is hoping shoppers will reuse lids until a substitute can be found or just skip a lid altogether.
Everything else will be picked up by Cayuga Composting, a division of P&S Excavating in Ulysses. Mark Wittig, the operations manager, said they're looking forward to having a new client and have no qualms about the new material, which will be less than one percent of their total inputs. The company has three years of experience with Greenware compostable plastic cups, used locally at Gimme! Coffee and GreenStar Cooperative Market, and Wittig said they've had no problems with the product.

Wittig and Norman both noted that commercial-scale composting is recommended for these plant-based plastics to have the necessary heat and moisture for decomposition.

By taking locally grown food waste, tossing it into bins with compostable kitchenware and breaking it down into compost that can then be used locally to grow more plants, “it really becomes a full circle concept,” said Norman.

To help offset the added cost to vendors for supplies, the market's board of directors set aside funds for the transition and ordered cutlery in bulk, with the idea of passing on the related savings. A grant from Tompkins County's Division of Solid Waste also will help with program implementation.

Some vendors learned about the board's decision somewhat late in the game.

Amy Lin, owner of Jung Ching Foods and the first food vendor at the market back in 1976, said she only recently learned of the switch. She had her fingers crossed that her order of plates and bowls would arrive in time for Saturday's market.

Lin said she definitely supported the change — “It's good in the long for our grandchildren,” she said — but Lin also noted that the increased costs are going to be passed on to the customer. She estimates the new plates and bowls will increase her costs by 60 percent.

Peggy Aker, owner of Macro Mamas, had a similar perspective on the increased cost.

“It's a price you pay one place or another. This is kind of a small price to pay for our environment,” she said.

Norman said the market is looking at making further commitments to reducing its environmental impact and would like to be the first market in the country to generate its own energy.

First they have to get this new program running smoothly. Vendors will be up early Saturday morning setting up stalls and posting signage around the market informing shoppers of the switch to compostables, how to handle them and soliciting suggestions for improvements.

“It's an idea whose time has come,” said Norman.

jdaley@ithacajournal.com

Originally published April 6, 2007

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 12:55 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Local firm recognized

e2e named top emerging business
Ithaca-based company makes biodegradable composites
By William Kates
The Associated Press

ITHACA — An Ithaca-based company that uses soy protein and natural fibers to make high-durability biodegradable composite materials was chosen Thursday from among five finalists as the winner of a $100,000 prize for the top emerging business idea in Upstate New York.

e2e Materials was selected by a panel of five top venture capitalists and business leaders for the winner-take-all EssentialConnections.org Emerging Business Competition.

ADVERTISEMENT

Company President Patrick Govang said e2e Materials' aim is to replace the wood and petrochemical composites available today.

The company currently makes biodegradable particleboard and is prototyping and developing office furniture for Herman Miller Inc. of Michigan and skateboards for Comet Skateboards of San Francisco, Govang said.
“Skateboards and furniture are just the beginning,” Govang said. “This competition provides a springboard for e2e to continue to develop into a host of new product areas.”

Other finalists included BioAxxis Development Corp. of Baldwinsville, which specializes in biometric fingerprint door locks; Make-n-Take Gourmet of Syracuse, a meal assembly kitchen business; Primet Precision Materials of Ithaca, which manufactures an extensive array of nano particles; and Propulsive Wing of Elbridge, which is developing a new generation of unmanned aerial vehicles for government use.

The finalists were selected from a field of 91 applicants in the competition sponsored by M&T Bank and the Metropolitan Development Association.

Representatives of all five companies were given 15 minutes Thursday to sum up their business plans and make a final pitch to the judges.

Govang told judges his company is pioneering new technology developed jointly with Cornell University scientists and expects to eventually become a top player in the $6.3 billion particleboard market. The company formed in May.

Conventional particleboard uses petroleum-based polymers but also can contain formaldehyde, a suspected carcinogen, Govang said.

Not only is e2e Material's particleboard petroleum-free, it is 10 times stronger than wood particleboard and weighs 80 percent less, which helps make it cost competitive, Govang said.

“We use natural fibers such as bamboo and flax and soy protein. You could eat it — if you could chew it, but it's pretty tough stuff,” Govang said.

The contest was open to emerging and small businesses with less than $2.5 million in revenues in 12 Upstate counties.

A $2,500 prize was given to Robert Loftus of Cazenovia to help develop Cazenovia Windfarms, a company that will produce kits for building electricity-generating windmills.

Originally published April 7, 2007

More on e2e

Patrick Govang worked for the Cornell Center for Materials Research for three years and helped Cornell start the Industrial Partnerships Office. In November 2005, Cornell University Professor Neil Netravali, Govang’s business partner, made a significant discovery in his research on green composites that led to e2e’s birth last May, Govang said.

Netravali will remain a professor at Cornell and assist e2e as the chief scientist while Govang works primarily on the business side

On the Net:

http://essentialconnections.org

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 1:00 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Some serious spring cleaning (pics and video included)

http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps...41/1002/NEWS17

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 2:19 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Touristy video, a bit dated, but at least ya get to see some of Ithaca:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usNQvPm5FVU

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 3:00 PM
Missing the Gorges

http://www.ithacajournal.com/apps/pb...704130343/1002

New proposal in Dryden- an engineering firm is looking to build a 50,000 sq. ft office building, and a second 43,000 sq. ft building on agricultural land just outside the village. 70 engineering jobs will be added by the company once the new building is complete. It currently employs 30 people.

http://www.ithacajournal.com/apps/pb...704130330/1002

New wine store on Franklin Street-complete with news comment where one poster argues about the danger of alcohol, saying that not only the IJ promotes DUI, but also saying that pot is safer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast