HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Also, you’re incredibly incorrect in your assessment of the current boom and your timeline of the next boom. This boom isn’t going to end any time so.

Why do you think that?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 12:52 AM

I reached out to the author of the article today. He said JMJ didn't have any renderings and he personally didn't know how feasible a January ground breaking was. Just that the spokesperson told him what the article stated - that the tower is still a go with a planned January 2019 ground breaking.

He did make note of the past missed ground breaking dates though. I think I'm shifting my opinion of this project to "I'll believe it when I see it".

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
For sure! There is ALOT more going on here than just those 3 projects. I said it once, I'll say it again, SA is on FIRE right now! & I agree that it isnt going to end anytime soon!

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!!

I'M NOT A WHINER!!

I LOVE ALL THE CONSTRUCTION AND DEVELOPMENT GOING ON IN SA!!!

AND I'M NOT GREEDY AND WANT MORE, MORE, MORE!!!!!

BECAUSE MORE IS NOT BETTER!!!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 1:51 AM

New Thread For the Hard Rock Cafe Hotel?

Should we have a new thread for the proposed Hard Rock Hotel atop the old Joskes Building??
Anyone?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 2:29 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
I'm sure his email is easily accessible.

Can I put you in the "against" column for a possible HR Hotel then?

I'd still rather have the first proposal, and that it was abandoned because of a little shadow, for a few hours a day in Winter, is a shame.

Glad the JMJ tower is still going to happen. Hopefully with a more modern redesign.
Hard Rock is OK assuming the design is good. What I've seen is like a massing model. The previous hotel was awesome. TO bad about that.

JMJ is blah and will block the Tower Life. If it were in a different location I'd be all for it.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
"...construction will now begin in January, Rhodes said"

Pretty clearly this info is fresh.
Again, how? It hasn't even gone through review yet. At all. Plus we have seen similar many times over the past two years. Construction was to start in Oct 2017, then Feb 2018 then after Fiesta, then during the summer of 2018. Then in fall. And now Jan...2019. Though, it doesn't even have a year next to the month. The project on main plaza - Cambria Hotel, is actually far more ahead than the JMJ Tower and that project seems dead, since they were suppose to start construction many times over.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txex06 View Post
Lower Broadway has multiple midrise buildings going up now and more planned to start . Hemisfair will start with their buildings by the end of the year. The Durango looks to start within one year. This isn't including all the 5-7 story apartment buildings going up around downtown that are adding thousands of new residents to the downtown core. Add the building in this thread and that's not too shabby.
That is typical construction of a growing city, which is most cities in the USA. Far different than that of a building boom (actual highrises, not 10 story buildings).

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Ever the optimist. lol

This was clearly not a copy and paste statement or information. How you came to that conclusion is baffling. Also, a January groundbreaking isn’t out of question without hdrc submissions, etc. There’s a six month window for all that paper to get filed and approved.

Also, you’re incredibly incorrect in your assessment of the current boom and your timeline of the next boom. This boom isn’t going to end any time so.
Wow. Quite emotional today. My opinions are assessments based on much of the past and the way things run around here. It's reality, not pessimism. And using words or phrases like "clearly" and you're "incorrect"? Umm...okay. Unless you have direct knowledge of said projects from the owners and project managers, then you might well be incorrect. Let's keep in mind that those behind the JMJ Towers do not even response to emails or news outlets regarding the status of the project. The article in question concerned a different project, not the JMJ Towers; so again, it might just be copy/paste information. In other words, oh, and relatedly readers, our latest information on another project by the same people is: xyz. And there you go.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In Real Life View Post
I reached out to the author of the article today. He said JMJ didn't have any renderings and he personally didn't know how feasible a January ground breaking was. Just that the spokesperson told him what the article stated - that the tower is still a go with a planned January 2019 ground breaking.

He did make note of the past missed ground breaking dates though. I think I'm shifting my opinion of this project to "I'll believe it when I see it".
I was reading down the line and responding to each. I should have heard this first lol.

Good job. You basically communicated everything I was conveying about that article. Doing data analysis and advanced reading comprehension, you have to learn to read between the lines (what's there and what's not there while it being there). Never take every word for what it is.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 8:21 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
Wow. Quite emotional today. My opinions are assessments based on much of the past and the way things run around here. It's reality, not pessimism. And using words or phrases like "clearly" and you're "incorrect"? Umm...okay. Unless you have direct knowledge of said projects from the owners and project managers, then you might well be incorrect. Let's keep in mind that those behind the JMJ Towers do not even response to emails or news outlets regarding the status of the project. The article in question concerned a different project, not the JMJ Towers; so again, it might just be copy/paste information. In other words, oh, and relatedly readers, our latest information on another project by the same people is: xyz. And there you go.
Everything I said, aside from the copy and paste comment, did not pertain to the JMJ development. I would think by now you know my knowledge with regards to commercial development in SA isn’t shallow.

I really don’t need to prove anything, but I’ll go ahead and do so. I was the first to talk about an unknown and unnamed Frost HQ tower, long before it was announced. I also posted this back in 2015. This was way before Gray Street bought the SAISD land and announced their ambitious plans to the public, including the 20-story mixed-use tower.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Everything I said, aside from the copy and paste comment, did not pertain to the JMJ development. I would think by now you know my knowledge with regards to commercial development in SA isn’t shallow.

I really don’t need to prove anything, but I’ll go ahead and do so. I was the first to talk about an unknown and unnamed Frost HQ tower, long before it was announced. I also posted this back in 2015. This was way before Gray Street bought the SAISD land and announced their ambitious plans to the public, including the 20-story mixed-use tower.

You, sirkingwilliam, I will believe FIRST, before anyone else on this forum!!!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Hard Rock is OK assuming the design is good. What I've seen is like a massing model. The previous hotel was awesome. TO bad about that.

JMJ is blah and will block the Tower Life. If it were in a different location I'd be all for it.
Well, if it ever gets built, is should be a bit shorter, what with the moving of parking, so I may not block the TL as much, which I agree, would be good thing.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
That is typical construction of a growing city, which is most cities in the USA. Far different than that of a building boom (actual highrises, not 10 story buildings).
I’m sorry, but those are absolutely incorrect statements.

The development occurring in the urban core is not “typical”, nor are most cities in America “growing cities” or growing at the rate SA is going both population wise and with regard to urban development .

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:

The development occurring in the urban core is not “typical”, nor are most cities in America “growing cities” or growing at the rate SA is going both population wise and with regard to urban development .
True, but with regard to urban development, that's likely because we are woefully behind in our urban development. Good to see that starting to change.

When you consider Thompson, Frost, Hemisfair, and if JMJ actually gets going, DT will have undergone a mighty transformation from those alone, and I'm leaving several out.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:

Are you absolutely sure?

Growth is all I refer to, so what is not typical about "growth" of an urban core in a major metropolitan?

And if you are referring to something other than growth, to what are you referring and do you have stats of examples in your quest to state that growth alone is not typical in SA's urban core compared to major metropolitans?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Are you absolutely sure?

Growth is all I refer to, so what is not typical about "growth" of an urban core in a major metropolitan?

And if you are referring to something other than growth, to what are you referring and do you have stats of examples in your quest to state that growth alone is not typical in SA's urban core compared to major metropolitans?
In the post I quoted and responded to, you said quantified it as “growing city” and then said most cities are growing cities. That’s what I was responding to. Now you’re saying major metropolitan. Either way, growth is most definitely measurable. Whether it’s residential units added, commercial retail space added, office space added, hotel rooms added, etc.

You’re telling me “most cities” have added the amount of residential units in their urban core as San Antonio? That most cities have 9 tower cranes up in their urban core with more going up soon?

Again, you’re entitled to your opinion, but when you make unfounded blank statements as facts, that’s where I find an issue. That’s why I responded to it.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 1:20 PM

Shortened downtown tower moving ahead less commercial space, more apartments

I'm was happy to read this updated information from the SA Business Journal this morning. Does anyone have an online account for the SA Business Journal? I'd love to read the full article. I hate pay walls!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 1:30 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysal View Post
I'm happy to get this updated info from the SA Business Journal this morning. Anyone have the online account to post here? I hate pay walls!
BizJournal Article

JMJ Development, the Dallas-based company behind recently revealed plans for a hotel on top of the Joske's building at the Shops at Rivercenter, has updated the Business Journal on its plans for the Villita Tower, a multistory mixed-use tower next to the River Walk.

When first announced in February 2016, the development on a 0.35-acre plot at 120 Villita St. was proposed as a 30-story mixed-use tower with 201 apartments. Rents were expected to reach $2.40 per square foot. It was also planned to have 12,000 square feet of ground floor commercial and retail space.

It's been over two years since that announcement, and while some details are still fuzzy, JMJ says the project is moving forward with a few design changes.

The most noticeable change is the tower's size, which has changed from 30 stories to 24 stories. While the tower has gotten shorter, the number of apartments has increased to 224. That's to the detriment of the ground floor's retail and commercial space, which has shrunk to 4,000 square feet.

The increase in apartments is likely due to changes in the building's parking plan, which will now use a new parking deck to be built across the street at 126 Villita St. That address is currently occupied by a nearly 13,000-square-foot building which houses a number of law offices. JMJ says the parking deck will be five and a half stories tall.

While a spokeswoman for JMJ has said the company has purchased the building, county deed records show the property still belonging to CLTR Properties LC. Attempts to reach the owners of the building were unsuccessful and the buildings current tenants did not get back to the Business Journal for comment by press time. JMJ says the parking deck will be five and a half stories tall.

JMJ says new renderings for the project are not available at this time, but said San Antonio-based B&A Architects and Dallas-based Fab Studio are still involved with the design. Since both properties fall within the River Improvement Overlay District (RIO-3), each project will need approval from the Historic and Design Review Commission to proceed. While the company did not say when either project will appear before the HDRC, they did say they hope to finally break ground on the project in January 2019.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 1:33 PM
James

Looks like the retail and commercial space was made to be smaller... typical.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
BizJournal Article

JMJ Development, the Dallas-based company behind recently revealed plans for a hotel on top of the Joske's building at the Shops at Rivercenter, has updated the Business Journal on its plans for the Villita Tower, a multistory mixed-use tower next to the River Walk.

When first announced in February 2016, the development on a 0.35-acre plot at 120 Villita St. was proposed as a 30-story mixed-use tower with 201 apartments. Rents were expected to reach $2.40 per square foot. It was also planned to have 12,000 square feet of ground floor commercial and retail space.

It's been over two years since that announcement, and while some details are still fuzzy, JMJ says the project is moving forward with a few design changes.

The most noticeable change is the tower's size, which has changed from 30 stories to 24 stories. While the tower has gotten shorter, the number of apartments has increased to 224. That's to the detriment of the ground floor's retail and commercial space, which has shrunk to 4,000 square feet.

The increase in apartments is likely due to changes in the building's parking plan, which will now use a new parking deck to be built across the street at 126 Villita St. That address is currently occupied by a nearly 13,000-square-foot building which houses a number of law offices. JMJ says the parking deck will be five and a half stories tall.

While a spokeswoman for JMJ has said the company has purchased the building, county deed records show the property still belonging to CLTR Properties LC. Attempts to reach the owners of the building were unsuccessful and the buildings current tenants did not get back to the Business Journal for comment by press time. JMJ says the parking deck will be five and a half stories tall.

JMJ says new renderings for the project are not available at this time, but said San Antonio-based B&A Architects and Dallas-based Fab Studio are still involved with the design. Since both properties fall within the River Improvement Overlay District (RIO-3), each project will need approval from the Historic and Design Review Commission to proceed. While the company did not say when either project will appear before the HDRC, they did say they hope to finally break ground on the project in January 2019.
1) Thank you for getting us back on topic.

2) Happy to have more information on this tower. I'm starting to get slightly more optimistic that it will actually get built with multiple articles mentioning the tower in the last couple of days.

3) I know it was announced a while back that the parking was being removed from the original tower, but it's disheartening to see the tower drop a full 6 stories. Maybe I was being naive, but I was thinking it would only drop 3-4, especially after they announced last year they were adding height due to demand.

4) Like everyone, I'm also sad to see them sacrifice ground level retail. The location is in a great spot for retail to thrive.

5) I know it's not in the ideal location being so close to TL, but I'm hopeful this gets built and the new design is better than the previous renderings.

...just my 2 cents on the new information.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio