HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:01 PM

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
If I'm understanding these numbers and the process:
The above assumes our current core counties stay the same.

In the (extremely) hypothetical event that Bastrop becomes a core county, it looks like that would add an additional 409 for Lee County, which would actually put it at 26% (and presumably in the metro).

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 3:47 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
The above assumes our current core counties stay the same.

In the (extremely) hypothetical event that Bastrop becomes a core county, it looks like that would add an additional 409 for Lee County, which would actually put it at 26% (and presumably in the metro).
Core counties have to have a piece of the OMB defined urban area for inclusion. The only possible future addition is Bastrop and that's decades down the line. After that I don't think we'll ever see another core county added.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Core counties have to have a piece of the OMB defined urban area for inclusion. The only possible future addition is Bastrop and that's decades down the line. After that I don't think we'll ever see another core county added.
I agree any addition is a long way off, but are you sure Bastrop is the only possible addition?

If the urban area you're referencing is the same one I'm familiar with, it looks like it already (barely) edges into Caldwell circa 2010.

http://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/dc10...C10UA04384.pdf

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 4:16 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
I agree any addition is a long way off, but are you sure Bastrop is the only possible addition?

If the urban area you're referencing is the same one I'm familiar with, it looks like it already (barely) edges into Caldwell circa 2010.

http://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/dc10...C10UA04384.pdf
It's not by definition the criteria, but it is essentially what the criteria they have tries to capture.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 4:30 PM

I stand corrected. Tech House made me laugh about the Charlotte census, and I went with stealing Temple/ Killeen MSA. Although with the amount of traffic, I does feel like it's part of Austin even though it's an hr away.

Last edited by JoninATX; Sep 30, 2015 at 12:46 AM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 8:15 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I stand corrected. Tech House made me laugh about the Charlotte census, and I went will stealing Temple/ Killeen MSA. Although with the amount of traffic, I does feel like it's part of Austin even though it's an hr away.
Same could be said for SA since it's typically moderate to heavy traffic on 35 the entire stretch throughout the day.

Okay well we figured out Charlotte but that still leaves how they came up with the rest of those numbers. Also Austin had over 200k growth not 185k so it's off anyways.

I also found it funny that they lumped Austin in with the small to medium sized metros for growth between 2015 to 2020. I'm sure that we will be in the top braket for growth but if they are going to include us in that catagory then they should also include SA because there is only a 370K or so gap between the two metros and in the grand scheme of metro sizes that is not a big difference especially when you take into account SA has 8 counties in its metro as opposed to Austin's 5. For all intents and purposes our metros are equal.

Anywho, does anyone have the most up to date population estimate for Round Rock? I'd be interested to see if they are approaching 110K.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 1:09 AM

True, even the amount of development occurring from Waco down to San Antonio has been phenomenal. Every city in the Central Texas IH 35 corridor has been blowing up. Today I calculated that 1,000,000 people has been added since 2005! That's extreme growth.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 3:43 AM
World Traveler

It's interesting though how sparse it is comparatively from Waco to the southern portions of DFW on either 35W or 35E. Waco and south is blowing up, but there's a gap to the north. I guess DFW is growing much more to the north, though not exclusively so. I struggle to think of what the I-35 corridor will be like in 20 years.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 5:30 AM
Meh

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local...lion/77178140/
Quote:
Austin region population passes two million

The five-county area (Williamson, Travis, Hays, Caldwell and Bastrop) gains about 60,000 new residents a year. In the metropolitan region, the population is 2,020,452

The traffic may not be much fun in 15 years either, when another one million people are expected to live here. The total estimated population for the five-county area in 2030 is three million people.

The city demographer estimates the Austin region passed the two million mark in July or August.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 5:50 AM

Passing the 2M mark based on census data was mathematically expected to happen around July 1st. It will be interesting to see if the next metro population numbers which are based on the July 1st estimate will be just over or under 2M. Those MSA numbers will be released in March.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 6:47 AM
World Traveler

Monorail, anyone?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Sad that the news piece talked about outgrowing our road system, but nobody mentioned alternative transportation as a solution to the traffic issue. Not one.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 10:40 PM
World Traveler

You would think at some point that even the fiercest opponent to mass transit has to come around by 3 million in the metro...and hopefully well before. We play catch-up rather than plan ahead far too often.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 11:50 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Passing the 2M mark based on census data was mathematically expected to happen around July 1st. It will be interesting to see if the next metro population numbers which are based on the July 1st estimate will be just over or under 2M. Those MSA numbers will be released in March.

Based on my algorithm, we surpassed the 2,000,000 mark on or about June 5, 2015. It also estimates Austin Metro's population to be around 3,175,000 on July 1, 2030.

Austin is estimated to pass San Antonio in metro population in 4Q 2030 or 1Q 2031. However, I am not yet confident in that data set as San Antonio has not historically shown the ability to sustain growth like they have experienced over the past 10 years.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Austin is estimated to pass San Antonio in metro population in 4Q 2030 or 1Q 2031. However, I am not yet confident in that data set as San Antonio has not historically shown the ability to sustain growth like they have experienced over the past 10 years.
How much of the recent SA growth is from BRAC gains (which presumably wouldn't be likely to be repeated)?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 11:35 PM
World Traveler

Even if San Antonio itself doesn't grow at the same rate (which is yet to be seen, of course), the region itself from San Marcos down to New Braunfels is still seeing a lot of growth. I don't have numbers and am not a census/demography expert by any means, but it still seems to me like the region will continue to grow substantially over the next few decades. I'm hoping transportation keeps up...or, at this point, catches up.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 12:49 AM

Looking at BEA's site the Austin metro's GDP in 2014 is roughly double what is was in 2005, increasing from $68B to $115B. That seems on the mild side of extraordinary.

Old news for many but new to me: Up until 2003 San Antonio and Austin metros' had about the same metro GDP, but around 2004 Austin passed SA and is now 10% higher.

Also Austin has had a higher per capita GDP than SA for a while but the gap has increased in the last 14 years from 21% to 33.5%, from $37,504/45,379 (A/S) to $41,109/54,909.

BEA.gov

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 4:50 AM

The Austin Metro went over 2,000,000 in population (barely) and passed San Jose and Indy.

• 33. Austin-Round Rock, TX: 2,000,860 residents (rank in 2010: 35)

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...opulation.html

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 7:05 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The Austin Metro went over 2,000,000 in population (barely) and passed San Jose and Indy.

• 33. Austin-Round Rock, TX: 2,000,860 residents (rank in 2010: 35)

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...opulation.html
This was also posted in the DFW thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Some Texas related census data is out: http://www.census.gov/newsroom/press...6/cb16-43.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin