HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 3:40 PM

A reminder that transit is having a round of public information sessions across the city about the new network plan this week: https://www.winnipeg.ca/city-governa...ransit-network

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
This is not hysteria, it's reality. I can see your point of view, in the fact that you probably have been living in Winnipeg for years, and do not notice this. Having been in Calgary and Edmonton for over a decade, I can tell you that this is not perception. Winnipeg legitimately is rougher than it was when I left for Alberta.

Is the fact that many businesses are literally fortified in the inner city (including the Osborne Village)now a figment of my imagination? Sometimes it takes a person who actually leaves the city, to obtain a better perspective of how unsafe areas of Winnipeg are.

I knew several Winnipeggers in Calgary and Edmonton living in "rough" areas like Forest Lawn, and the Beltline, and they all mention that compared to Winnipeg, the rough areas of Calgary and Edmonton are definitely more tame.

To call what I have personally observed, and four violent stabbings on buses or transit stops "hysteria" is to live in denial that there is actually a real problem with crime, and it needs to be addressed. I didn't mean to single you out, but this is the typical Winnipeg defense to avoiding real life issues with our city.
It's similar to Winnipegers thinking there's nothing wrong with their downtown or they describe it as "vibrant".

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
It's similar to Winnipegers thinking there's nothing wrong with their downtown or they describe it as "vibrant".
Except that nobody thinks that or says that except maybe the Downtown BIZ. Nobody is oblivious or in denial about the issues. But some of you guys post a dozen times a day about "OMG thing are soooo bad you guyssss why don't you believe how bad it is????" and that's it. No ideas, no suggestions, no analysis.

It seems like you've convinced yourself that wailing about it on the internet counts as doing something about it, so you pat yourself on the back for "addressing" the problem and chastise the rest of us for being in "denial" because we don't just hopelessly wail about it online like you do.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Except that nobody thinks that or says that except maybe the Downtown BIZ. Nobody is oblivious or in denial about the issues. But some of you guys post a dozen times a day about "OMG thing are soooo bad you guyssss why don't you believe how bad it is????" and that's it. No ideas, no suggestions, no analysis.

It seems like you've convinced yourself that wailing about it on the internet counts as doing something about it, so you pat yourself on the back for "addressing" the problem and chastise the rest of us for being in "denial" because we don't just hopelessly wail about it online like you do.
People don't want fixes, they want a place to complain. That's the only reason forums and social media exist. Winnipeg is even worse. Innovation is prohibited and progress is a sin.

The only way to fix this city is to bulldoze the whole thing and start fresh again.

PS: Ozabald you're right, dunno why Ed attacked you directly lol

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post

I would counter that with its more determental to Winnipeg to either pretend issues with transit do not exist, or to downplay them as irrelevant.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 9:50 PM

You keep saying I'm trying to downplay issues. I'm not that at all.

I'm saying that once social media gets a hold of an issue, hysteria ensues. It's like a war zone out there according to Facebook and some posters in this forum. It's not that.

Yes I've been to Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal. Winnipeg ain't that bad folks.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It's like a war zone out there according to Facebook and some posters in this forum. It's not that.
Lotsa respect for you bomberjet but it is a war zone. I've got thick ass skin too. There's crackheads everywhere, bus shacks as houses, retail thefts left and right.

I leave the house practically expecting to have to knock someone out to prevent getting robbed. In the last year alone I've witnessed 5-10 active thefts at chain stores (Canadian Tire, Save-On, Safeway, Dollarama). Too many psychosis incidents to count.

Half the downtown is boarded up. That's not even touching the hospitals. I've been waiting 20mths for a neurologist. 20 months! People are dying in hallways or on wait lists. As far as I'm concerned 911 doesn't even exist. Society has collapsed. Past tense, collapsed.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
You keep saying I'm trying to downplay issues. I'm not that at all.
You certainly did with the intoxicated racist lady, going as far as saying that it was not an "incident."

Quote:
I'm saying that once social media gets a hold of an issue, hysteria ensues. It's like a war zone out there according to Facebook and some posters in this forum. It's not that.
it's awfully convenient to dismiss any concerns about the problems of crime and the safety of it's passengers, by falsely stating it is "hysteria" and comparing it to a "war zone."

Quote:
Yes I've been to Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal. Winnipeg ain't that bad folks.
Have you lived in any of these cities for over 3 years?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 12:34 AM

Why do I get the feeling that "bodaggin" is really "rrskylar" reincarnated?

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Why do I get the feeling that "bodaggin" is really "rrskylar" reincarnated?
No idea who that is. But hey assumptions and ad homs seem to be the norm for this forum, so why not.

I had some ideas I wanted to get seeded on public paper. Achieved that. Not as much need for this acct anymore. May snooze it.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post
Lotsa respect for you bomberjet but it is a war zone. I've got thick ass skin too. There's crackheads everywhere, bus shacks as houses, retail thefts left and right.

I leave the house practically expecting to have to knock someone out to prevent getting robbed. In the last year alone I've witnessed 5-10 active thefts at chain stores (Canadian Tire, Save-On, Safeway, Dollarama). Too many psychosis incidents to count.

Half the downtown is boarded up. That's not even touching the hospitals. I've been waiting 20mths for a neurologist. 20 months! People are dying in hallways or on wait lists. As far as I'm concerned 911 doesn't even exist. Society has collapsed. Past tense, collapsed.
Holy hyperbole batman...

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post
No idea who that is. But hey assumptions and ad homs seem to be the norm for this forum, so why not.
LOL. Classic gaslighting. Oh well, enjoy your game; it's a public forum and folks can say what they want I guess, within reason.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 8:03 PM

I believe it's these kinds of derailments in the threads that are causing people to participate less on this forum. This thread has become nothing more than an echo-chamber for a few select forumers who want to do nothing more than propagate negativity. The exact same thing has happened in the Jets threads.

1. There are issues downtown, we get it.
2. You think downtown is a horrible place, we get it.
3. You sit on your collective asses in front of a computer/phone bitching and moaning about it while doing absolutely nothing to address the problem. That's useless.

I get the feeling these same posters enjoy stewing in their negativity...they must be fun at parties.

This thread is now completely derailed, as is the Winnipeg Jets thread.

Enjoy marinating in your negativity, select forumers.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 8:12 PM

So anywho. What would you guys like to see most out of the transitional period for transit next year? I mean little QoL things. My big one would be implementation of a direct payment system on board. Peggo is no biggie for me but it's a pain in the ass watching people fumble their ticket or change. It'd speed things up for sure with debit/credit tap.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
So anywho. What would you guys like to see most out of the transitional period for transit next year? I mean little QoL things.
Phones as the only way of checking the bus schedule needs to die. It's absolute madness that there aren't paper timetables at even major stops anymore.

Don't have a phone with you? Phone battery is dead? Don't have a data plan, or your data plan is used up for the month? It's -30 and your phone powers itself off to avoid battery damage? It's -30 and it just plain hurts to have your hands exposed while you fumble with their app? If your answer to any of these has ever been 'yes', then too bad, no bus schedule for you.

There's no justification for it. It's anti-user and could only possibly be designed by some Transit exec who never actually takes the bus trying to imitate what he thinks all the cool kids are doing.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Phones as the only way of checking the bus schedule needs to die. It's absolute madness that there aren't paper timetables at even major stops anymore.

Don't have a phone with you? Phone battery is dead? Don't have a data plan, or your data plan is used up for the month? It's -30 and your phone powers itself off to avoid battery damage? It's -30 and it just plain hurts to have your hands exposed while you fumble with their app? If your answer to any of these has ever been 'yes', then too bad, no bus schedule for you.

There's no justification for it. It's anti-user and could only possibly be designed by some Transit exec who never actually takes the bus trying to imitate what he thinks all the cool kids are doing.
Good point. Another good reason to have time tables is the frequency of vandalism of their electronic schedules. For the poor and elderly, paper timetables should be available.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 9:20 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
So anywho. What would you guys like to see most out of the transitional period for transit next year? I mean little QoL things. My big one would be implementation of a direct payment system on board. Peggo is no biggie for me but it's a pain in the ass watching people fumble their ticket or change. It'd speed things up for sure with debit/credit tap.
Agreed that improving Peggo and payments is the biggest QoL thing (along with safety issues on the busses, but the new safety team has just rolled out and I, for one, want to give them the benefit of the doubt).

Another might be to make the official app even halfway useful. Right now, it tells you schedules, which are useless when busses are late or cancelled, and does trip planning via the ancient Navigo system. The combination of Google Maps and the third party Winnipeg Bus Live app (which gives you the live bus times for every stop in the city, just like the digital signs at some stops) is way more useful. If I was WT, I would find the guy who made that app and hire him on the spot (yes, I understand public sector hiring doesn't work like that).

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegster View Post
Agreed that improving Peggo and payments is the biggest QoL thing (along with safety issues on the busses, but the new safety team has just rolled out and I, for one, want to give them the benefit of the doubt).

Another might be to make the official app even halfway useful. Right now, it tells you schedules, which are useless when busses are late or cancelled, and does trip planning via the ancient Navigo system. The combination of Google Maps and the third party Winnipeg Bus Live app (which gives you the live bus times for every stop in the city, just like the digital signs at some stops) is way more useful. If I was WT, I would find the guy who made that app and hire him on the spot (yes, I understand public sector hiring doesn't work like that).
I've had nothing but positive interactions with the safety team, at least second hand interactions via observing them shuffling people along and handling an incident in Portage. I'm unfamiliar with Bus Live. I'll have to download it haha.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 9:49 PM

On a similar note, the official WT app should integrate with Peggo, allowing you to reload your card in the app (with instant reloading), be used for mobile payments, etc. Currently Peggo and the rest of Winnipeg Transit's app and website seem to live on different planets.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 10:09 PM

Just downloaded Winnipeg Live. What a cool app for a third party service. The route cardinal direction function on the map is pretty neat. They should just integrate this haha.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan