HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
What I have definitely seen is restaurants being more geared towards Uber-eats than actual in restaurant eaters. We just went to this restaurant that we used to love to go to and they have cut their sit down space in half and opened up a big counter for all the uber eats take-out orders.
Oh my gosh Uber-eats/DoorDash delivery folk. I've been starting to hate them as much as Uber/Lyft drivers and Amazon delivery people---double-parking, blocking traffic, running down sidewalks while looking at their phones nearly bumping into people...

On a recent restaurant visit, my partner and I saw a DoorDash (or whatever) guy pick up his stapled bag to deliver, but then before leaving, he used the restroom. We both looked at each other and we thought the same thing: What "clean" area of the restroom did he put the bag on while he went to use the restroom? And did he wash his hands afterwards? Blech.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
This is actually a really good case for policy for any libertarian or otherwise anti-government folks you know. We can't be trusted not to take advantage of the system in a way that hurts everyone but ourselves, especially behind the anonymity of a car. So we need to enact policy that structures a built environment that allows for more of a team win.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 1:33 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Hate on these all you want but there is a pent up demand for them. Put a Chick-Fil-A in the middle of North Beach SF and people will flock to it in their Teslas and Priuses.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Hate on these all you want but there is a pent up demand for them. Put a Chick-Fil-A in the middle of North Beach SF and people will flock to it in their Teslas and Priuses.
Being that they're anti-LGBTQ, I seriously doubt that the SF government and residents would even want a Chick-Fil-A within its city limits.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 2:28 AM
them bones

Having designed both an InNOut and several Starbucks, I cringe every time we get the site survey. There’s never enough room for the amount of cars expected in the drive-thru. It’s completely insane.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 2:42 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Put a Chick-Fil-A in the middle of North Beach SF and people will flock to it in their Teslas and Priuses.
Thank Pizza God that SF is one of the rarified places in our ugly nation that wouldn't tolerate such awfulness.

If only more US cities had such respect for themselves.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Thank Pizza God that SF is one of the rarified places in our ugly nation that wouldn't tolerate such awfulness.
Also, San Franciscans would on principle oppose an incursion by the rabidly anti-gay Chick-Fil-Assholes.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 3:17 AM
Dryer lint inspector

I dunno. The Chick-Fil-A up in Fremont with the *three* (always packed) drive-thru lanes plus the swamped curbside pick up tells me there is a pent up demand for chicken sandwiches in the Bay Area.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 3:21 AM

Quote:
I dunno. The Chick-Fil-A up in Fremont with the *three* (always packed) drive-thru lanes plus the swamped curbside pick up tells me there is a pent up demand for chicken sandwiches in the Bay Area.
Fremont isn't North Beach, San Francisco, and you know it.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 3:59 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Fremont isn't North Beach, San Francisco, and you know it.
Yes but people love chicken and I'm sure a Chick-Fil-A would do well in SF if given the opportunity. Most are franchises anyway so no connection to the bigoted CEO in corporate. There's one in Emeryville for all those Berkeley students eating some nuggets in the DL.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 4:06 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Also, San Franciscans would on principle oppose an incursion by the rabidly anti-gay Chick-Fil-Assholes.
Culture war stuff aside, my point was about SF not allowing one of these urbanism-killing mega drive-thrus from defiling its city scape.

Yes, Chick-fil-A is one of the more egregious offenders of this typology, but there are certainly others (that don't serve up a side order of conservative theology) who build this trash as well.

You might not have them in Cali (yet), but here in Chicagoland, there's a dog & beef chain called Portillo's whose restaurants are of the exact same terrible model.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 4:32 AM

Ideally drive throughs should be incorporated into parking garages. But then again if we're talking ideals neither of those would exist.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 4:34 AM

Double post

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Culture war stuff aside, my point was about SF not allowing one of these urbanism-killing mega drive-thrus from defiling its city scape.
And you are correct. I can't say if San Francisco has outright banned new drive-thrus legislatively, but after working for several years at a developer's firm I can say that the city's planning department wouldn't approve any (or new gas stations, either).

Quote:
Yes, Chick-fil-A is one of the more egregious offenders of this typology, but there are certainly others (that don't serve up a side order of conservative theology) who build this trash as well.

You might not have them in Cali (yet), but here in Chicagoland, there's a dog & beef chain called Portillo's whose restaurants are of the exact same terrible model.
In-N-Out is California's most egregious drive-thru traffic generator, hands down. Here in LA, you can always tell you're driving up on an In-N-Out location because of all the cars idling alongside the curb for half a block or more.

San Francisco's only In-N-Out location has no drive-thru.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 11:59 AM
Cat Enthusiast

The ones that get me are the Chick-Fil-A drive throughs down here. My god, the number of cars that queue for those... when I'm on my way home and pass the one nearest my apartment there can't be fewer than 40 cars in the line, all crammed onto the same lot, not wrapped around the street.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 1:56 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
Ideally drive throughs should be incorporated into parking garages. But then again if we're talking ideals neither of those would exist.
So Columbus started this several years ago with implementing fast-food in mixed-use buildings that "refused to open without a drive-thru" with this on side streets:

www.columbusunderground.com

www.columbusunderground.com

Am I happy with it? Meh, it's in an alley, the cars are mostly in the garage so I don't see them affecting traffic, and you get your chicken rings. And the urban yuppie box gets to yuppie box.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 2:09 PM

In this case (i.e. the development discussed in the article) St. Louis' municipal fragmentation and dysfunction compounds the problem. There are 99 separate municipalities, including U. City, vying for sales tax revenue. That's why this atrocious Costco/Chick-Fil-A abortion exists.

(P.S. It must the "shit all over St. Louis" part of the news cycle again.)

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 3:27 PM
Never Dell

Even if the drive-through is hidden, it's still encouraging people to drive.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Even if the drive-through is hidden, it's still encouraging people to drive.
It's reducing the number of curb cuts and making more efficient use of space. But it looks awful and feels kind of dystopian, and it wouldn't work with busier drive-thrus.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
So Columbus started this several years ago with implementing fast-food in mixed-use buildings that "refused to open without a drive-thru" with this on side streets:
I don't hate it. And I tend to hate both drive-thrus and an excessive number of above ground parking structures

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions