HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 7:54 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post
The overlap of schedules concerns me, though. Maybe, events would go on as planned.

If both events go on at the same time, then maybe there's no money wasted on our end. HOWEVER, I think we'd definitely see a reduction in the number of people visiting to attend in Birmingham (obviously, people would rather spend their money going to Tokyo). With events, my greatest concern would be a loss of exposure for Birmingham and Alabama. That's certainly not the worst result... the worst result is that The World Games are canceled in favor of The Olympics and the investment that has already taken place is essentially money down the drain.

I personally wouldn't object to The World Games being pushed back till 2022 or 2023. That would make Protective Stadium the main venue, the BJCC will have been renovated, and our hotel industry will have had more time to scale up to host more people.
i agree that pushing it back couldn't hurt.

however, i doubt there are tons of people planning to travel to birmingham from all over the globe (other than athletes and family) for the world games. i really think spectators will be mostly local and/or regional. maybe i'm wrong.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 7:57 PM
Burming Hammer

New Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs) are out:

Birmingham: 1,090,435
Huntsville: 471,824
Mobile: 429,536
Montgomery: 373,290

Sucks that our MSA lost Walker County last year... especially ironic since I-22 just opened, which you'd think would make the commuting patterns stronger between it and Jefferson.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 6:26 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
New Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs) are out:

Birmingham: 1,090,435
Huntsville: 471,824
Mobile: 429,536
Montgomery: 373,290

Sucks that our MSA lost Walker County last year... especially ironic since I-22 just opened, which you'd think would make the commuting patterns stronger between it and Jefferson.
To be fair, I-22 opened up not too long before MSA redefinitions, so really economic ties hadn't had enough time to build up.

Also, to be honest, Walker County was losing the most population of any county in the metro area, so its removal will increase our population growth rate. Sucks to be back beneath Buffalo, but such is life. In the long term, I really don't think it will make much of a difference.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 3:36 PM
Burming Hammer

i hate that we're #50 right now, especially with grand rapids likely to supplant us soon.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 2:35 AM

There are several definitions of a metro area. Some outlets has it still at a seven county metro at 1.15M as of 2019. I have seen one site that list it as 6 county metro as of last year. Who really knows

Last edited by mcalumni01; Apr 2, 2020 at 2:55 AM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 2:13 PM
Burming Hammer

the one that matters and is "official" is the OMB, and that has it currently at 6 counties.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 2:16 PM
Burming Hammer

assume protective stadium will host the opening ceremonies now?

THE WORLD GAMES IN BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA, MOVES TO JULY 2022

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 8:09 PM

Quote:
the one that matters and is "official" is the OMB, and that has it currently at 6 counties.
Okay.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 9:45 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
assume protective stadium will host the opening ceremonies now?

THE WORLD GAMES IN BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA, MOVES TO JULY 2022
It almost certainly will. It should be completed in plenty of time. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic, that the BRT line will be complete in time with this delay.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 5:09 PM
Burming Hammer

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 11:29 PM

More pics of the LED light on the new bridge..

https://www.al.com/news/j66j-2020/05...irmingham.html

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 7:26 PM
Burming Hammer

anyone have the full article they can post?

i assume this is vulcan and encompass... glad to see them continue moving in the right direction.

Two Birmingham companies move closer to Fortune 500 status

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 8:19 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
anyone have the full article they can post?

i assume this is vulcan and encompass... glad to see them continue moving in the right direction.

Two Birmingham companies move closer to Fortune 500 status
nevermind, went straight to the source:

Fortune 500 List for 2020

regions moves up just one spot to 446.

vulcan moves up to 551 (up 37 spots) and encompass moves up to 583 (up 13 spots)

no other alabama companies listed.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 5:16 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
nevermind, went straight to the source:

Fortune 500 List for 2020

regions moves up just one spot to 446.

vulcan moves up to 551 (up 37 spots) and encompass moves up to 583 (up 13 spots)

no other alabama companies listed.
With the metro hemorhaging publicly traded companies, it'd be nice to get Vulcan and Encompass into the 500.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 3:52 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post
To be fair, I-22 opened up not too long before MSA redefinitions, so really economic ties hadn't had enough time to build up.
I hear ya, but Hwy 78 was strong enough to include it for many years. If anything 22 should have made it so it never left again. (I think this is isn't the first time this has happened). I never thought I would ever root for Walker Co about anything.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 7:55 PM

After the collapse of the 2000's decade, the 2010 decade was more of the rebuilding the foundations for the metro. This upcoming 2020 decade will be where things not only Birmingham, but the metro area as a whole, should be trending up more rapidly. Even though Walker County don't meet the threshold for being included in the metro, it's not off by much. Maybe 2,3 percentage points off. That can easily be reversed in the next 3 to 5 years with the way the Jefferson County is attracting manufacturing/labor jobs to the county. It's just a matter of time before something big facility is on I-22 in Jefferson/Walker County line.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 8:30 PM
Burming Hammer

yeah, i would think the opening of I-22 would start to have some impact soon.

i do hate that our population estimate still seems to be floundering. really hoping that the 2020 census proves this to be wrong and actually shows some (even if just slight) growth.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 9:52 PM

Birmingham won't see a significant impact this census, unfortunately. But the 2030 census will look greatly different. These past 10 years and the years from here on out leading up to 2030 will have a more visual impact on Birmingham and the metro that people will take notice of.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 8:27 PM
Burming Hammer

March Madness will return to renovated BJCC

March Madness is returning to Birmingham.

Birmingham will host the first and second round of the NCAA Tournament for Division I men’s basketball in 2023 and the Division I women’s basketball southern regional in 2025 at the newly renovated BJCC, city officials said today.

The NCAA’s announcement today marks the first time for the NCAA Tournament in Birmingham since 2008 for men’s basketball. It will be the first time ever for the women’s tournament to come to Birmingham.

The decision to return March Madness to Birmingham follows a collaborative effort by the city of Birmingham, BJCC, Greater Birmingham Convention and Visitors Bureau, Knight Eady and the Southeastern Conference.

“This is a perfect example of cooperation between public and private partners to elevate Birmingham’s position as a great place to host world class events like March Madness,” Birmingham Mayor Randall L. Woodfin said. “For too long, we’ve had to watch other southeastern cities host the men’s and women’s Division I tournaments. With the renovation and expansion of the BJCC, we are firmly back in the game and committed to competing for top tier sporting and entertainment events.”

The BJCC’s Legacy Arena closed in April for a $123 million renovation and expansion.

“The comprehensive renovation and expansion of Legacy Arena makes Birmingham the ideal home to once again host NCAA tournament basketball,” said Tad Snider, Executive Director and CEO, BJCC Authority. “The improvements focus on fan experience, premium seating options, improved food and beverage options as well as new team and artist areas, with back-of-house operational improvements to support our event partners. Fans will watch the games from upgraded seats, modern hospitality suites, and club areas with views to the event floor and the teams will enjoy locker and coaches rooms on par with any other venue in the country. We look forward to hosting the NCAA in Alabama’s largest and newly renovated Legacy Arena.”

Legacy Arena is expected to reopen in 2022.

“Bringing NCAA Division I men’s and women’s basketball to Birmingham has been part of Knight Eady’s vision since we started the company,” said David Knight, President of Operations for Knight Eady. “Our team is thrilled to work alongside our team of partners in Birmingham to host two of the NCAA’s most prestigious tournaments. We look forward to working together to create an exceptional event experience for the teams, sponsors and fans who will visit our great city.”

“It’s our pleasure to welcome these great NCAA events back to Birmingham,” said John Oros, Jr., president and CEO of the Greater Birmingham Convention & Visitors Bureau. “While we can’t predict an economic impact that far in the future, we do know that historically these events generate millions of dollars for the local economy. Of course, that impact also will depend on the teams we draw. In addition to direct economic impact, we will have the added benefit for the newly renovated Legacy Arena through TV exposure. We’ve long enjoyed our relationship with the NCAA and look forward to continuing that alliance in the coming years.”

A bid for an NCAA tournament requires a member institution or conference to serve as host. The Southeastern Conference, headquartered in Birmingham, will serve in that role.

“The Southeastern Conference is proud to serve as the host and join in the collaborative effort that will bring the NCAA Basketball Tournament to Birmingham,” said SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey. “March is annually one of the most exciting months on the college sports calendar, and Birmingham will be in the nation’s focus in 2023 and 2025. Our thanks to the City of Birmingham, the BJCC, the Greater Birmingham Convention and Visitors Bureau and Knight Eady for joining the SEC in this successful effort.”

Old Posted Nov 8, 2020, 6:43 PM
Cat Enthusiast

SNL has been using Birmingham's skyline as the view from the windows in business sketch settings quite a bit lately, including last night.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast