HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Arthaus in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 11:44 AM

For years I've been suggesting that the City turn all streets in CC to two way traffic for that very same reason, so cops can get around more quickly without having to drive around trying to figure out how to get from here to there. Just think of the life's that would be saved.

Seriously, the City seems unable or unwilling to maintain practically anything that can't be somehow included in a capital spending program. Just as important as trying to decide what to do to upgrade S. Broad St. especially if that improvement will require any regular care, never mind a flower bed that might need weekly attention, is who will be responsible for keeping the improvement improved.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 1:46 PM

I'm not sure what to think of this topic; I think there are plans to turn Market Street into a two way street the entire length; however Walnut and Chestnut streets are narrow so that may be a problem because there are already congested with 2 lanes in the same direction so one lane in each direction may be a problem.

A big problem and this has been on my mind for a while now isn't about planters in the middle of the streets like Broad Street and Market Street because it would make the streets look better; Park Avenue versus 5th Avenue; two way versus one way. What concerns me more is the streets themselves. Philadelphia has narrow streets and you can't widen them; we have sidewalks that need to be wide; we have parking; we have bike lanes and its keeps the streets narrow and to a degree there is nothing wrong with it but the more the city builds up; the more congested the city will become. If more people move to Philadelphia and the city continues to e vibrant which we want; then the congrestion will come and I'm not sure if we have a way to really address it.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 2:11 PM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Agreed. If it can work on Park Avenue in New York, Michigan Avenue in Chicago, then it can certainly work in on Broad Street in Philadelphia.

Only in Philadelphia do we hear ridiculous excuses like the one you mentioned...

I wish a rich person (or company) would donate a chunk of money to fund a project like this instead of forking over another $20+M to Penn or Drexel... There's just no momentum to beautify the city streets, a shame.
We need to quit making excuses. UTURNS!
UGH

Michigan Avenue Streetscape: 20 Years of Magnificent Mile Blooms... Chicago
https://www.asla.org/2016awards/1727...fvlG1s55hyYeBY

Michigan Avenue Streetscapes

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
For years I've been suggesting that the City turn all streets in CC to two way traffic for that very same reason, so cops can get around more quickly without having to drive around trying to figure out how to get from here to there. Just think of the life's that would be saved.

Seriously, the City seems unable or unwilling to maintain practically anything that can't be somehow included in a capital spending program. Just as important as trying to decide what to do to upgrade S. Broad St. especially if that improvement will require any regular care, never mind a flower bed that might need weekly attention, is who will be responsible for keeping the improvement improved.
All for beautifying streets, just wondering why we'd make all streets in center city two way? One way streets use road space more efficiently and are better for cyclists and pedestrians. Especially in a city with streets as narrow as ours, I just don't understand why we'd do that. So it's easier for first responders to figure out how to get from here to there? It's not that hard to figure out. I only drive in Center City like once a month and I have no issue figuring it out, I'm sure first responders manage just fine.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 5:43 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
All for beautifying streets, just wondering why we'd make all streets in center city two way? One way streets use road space more efficiently and are better for cyclists and pedestrians. Especially in a city with streets as narrow as ours, I just don't understand why we'd do that. So it's easier for first responders to figure out how to get from here to there? It's not that hard to figure out. I only drive in Center City like once a month and I have no issue figuring it out, I'm sure first responders manage just fine.
Perhaps just Market Street though. I still don't understand why it goes from two-way in U City to one-way from 22nd to City Hall, then back to two way. Just make it two way the whole stretch.

Narrow streets like Walnut/Chestnut I agree making two way wouldn't help anything since the congestion is already very heavy.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 7:28 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Perhaps just Market Street though. I still don't understand why it goes from two-way in U City to one-way from 22nd to City Hall, then back to two way. Just make it two way the whole stretch.
Probably because it has JFK parallel going one-way in the other direction. Also, it's only one-way from 20th to City Hall. IMO, given that JFK is parallel to it, I don't really think you gain anything by making that stretch of Market two-way (or lose anything by having it one-way).

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 1:56 PM

People drive faster on wide one-way streets like Market/JFK. Making them two-way would have a traffic calming effect that would benefit pedestrians and cyclists.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
People drive faster on wide one-way streets like Market/JFK. Making them two-way would have a traffic calming effect that would benefit pedestrians and cyclists.
Market and JFK are outliers. They're good as two way streets and in fact, both already are up to 20th street. What other wide one streets are in center city that would benefit from such a change?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 2:33 PM

Interesting topics, but looking forward to actual Arthaus updates.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 3:32 PM

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 12:30 AM

I know that this is a thread about the Arthaus, so I’ll start this off by saying that what’s already built has a commanding presence when approaching from South abroad.

That having been said, while we’re talking about roads...

I think something that a lot of you are forgetting is that Broad Street has two names. Broad Street, and PA 611. Broad Street is a state road, meaning that any improvements or changes that the city wants has to go through PennDOT first.

I worked for Lower Merion’s PW department for awhile, and whenever I’d ask about a state road, my boss and coworkers would shrug their shoulders and say “It’s a state road. Not our problem.” I’m sure any changes to Broad Street would come with a whole slough of bureaucratic red tape you’d have to cut through.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 12:29 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I know that this is a thread about the Arthaus, so I’ll start this off by saying that what’s already built has a commanding presence when approaching from South abroad.

That having been said, while we’re talking about roads...

I think something that a lot of you are forgetting is that Broad Street has two names. Broad Street, and PA 611. Broad Street is a state road, meaning that any improvements or changes that the city wants has to go through PennDOT first.

I worked for Lower Merion’s PW department for awhile, and whenever I’d ask about a state road, my boss and coworkers would shrug their shoulders and say “It’s a state road. Not our problem.” I’m sure any changes to Broad Street would come with a whole slough of bureaucratic red tape you’d have to cut through.
Would that also make Broad St a candidate for State Funds for improvement/Infrastructure ?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 1:50 PM

To change things up -- I think we are getting very close to the first setback of this design. If I counted right, 4 floors to go, the core is almost already there.
Here's the construction cam from this morning:

https://arthausphila.com/real-time-view/

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 2:43 PM

Correct, 4 floors to the setback. I believe I put that in my Philly YIMBY article above too

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 5:35 PM

Awesome!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 5:55 PM

Arthaus Passes Halfway Point, Nearing 400 Feet On The Avenue Of The Arts

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2020/10/arth...nter-city.html

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
To change things up -- I think we are getting very close to the first setback of this design. If I counted right, 4 floors to go, the core is almost already there.
Damn COVID-19! I've only been downtown twice in the past 6 months - even though I only live scarcely over 2 miles away! - and have no idea on the progress is being made on these projects. Nice picture, Jawn.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 9:17 PM

Green: structure
Red: facade
Core: 32 floors
Floors: 30 floors

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 7:57 PM

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 11:05 PM

^The South Broad canyon, looks great.

Thought these were worth sharing from Oct. 20th:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGlh_2tAE4D/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGlhqICAy8p/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive