HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 10:53 AM
ARTchitecture

Deh Cho Bridge - Northwest Territories

Bridge Over Icy waters-1963_1 by Ronald Bonnetrouge, on Flickr

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 2:45 PM
The Vomit Bag.

awesome span.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 3:30 PM

bad ass bridge.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 4:12 PM

I need to get up there one year for a road trip.

Deh Cho Bridge and Northern Lights by Jason Simpson, on Flickr

Badger under the Deh Cho Bridge. by skeletolicious, on Flickr

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 8:43 PM
Community Guy

The Walterdale - Edmonton

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1131659903255207936
@ianoyeg

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 10:44 PM

Ottawa's Alexandra Bridge is set to be replaced within 10 years. It opened in 1901 as a railway bridge. It carried the Hull Electric Railway for a few decades. Although its usage as a passenger can bridge is fairly low (about 9% of interprovincial traffic), it carries 33% of pedestrians and cyclists.

Gatineau's LRT plans include this crossing. The Federal Government has also re-opened the 6th interprovincial bridge (or 7th if we count the abandoned PoW at the foot of the Trillium Line) debate that has been killed and resurrected countless times over the last 50 years. Both the cities of Gatineau and Ottawa are uninterested in the idea. Ottawa is currently studying a possible tunnel linking the Macdonald-Cartier Bridge (hwy 5) and the Queensway (hwy 417).

https://globalnews.ca/news/5068783/a...bridge-ottawa/

https://cate.blog/2010/11/30/ottawa-a-love-letter/

https://ottawamagazine.com/arts-and-...nary-for-2017/

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 8:54 AM
ARTchitecture

That is a beautiful bridge, and I'm sure they'll try and pay homage to it in the new design. However, I would hope that the designers will take into consideration, as you say, how many time the city has flip-flopped on having the LRT included in the new crossing. Having structural considerations in place beforehand is a lot less costly than adding them later on. Take it from someone in a province that is suffering from trying to catch up on decades of underfunding of infrastructure.

RIP Ralph Klein.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 12:47 PM

The hope, for me at least, is that the replacement of this bridge brings a complete review of interprovincial mobility.

At the moment, 4/5 bridges are downtown, with the 5th being a few kilometers west in a pre-war urban area. If a new bridge is built in the east end, the interprovincial truck traffic could be removed from downtown streets and thousands of passenger vehicles would no longer have to make a detour through downtown to get to their destination. This would relive congestion in the central area and help the environment.

The Alexandra Bridge, being the main cycling/pedestrian bridge and a major link between some of the regions biggest tourist destinations, such as the Museum of Civilization in Hull, the National Art Gallery and the Byward Market in Ottawa, could be rebuilt without car lanes. The new bridge could be designed for double track LRT (proposed STO rail service) with a cantilevered boardwalk for active transportation as it exists today on the west side. With talks of possibly transforming the Market into a pedestrian only zone, we should be placing a strong consideration to this idea of removing cars from any replacement.

There's also the question of the Prince of Wales Bridge, an abandoned railway bridge just north of the Trillium Line's terminus at Bayview. Gatineau envisions using it as well for its LRT plan (so two crossings), but many believe it would be better if the O-Train crossed and terminated at the Zibi site in Downtown Hull. Each transit service would then have a rail line in the other city.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
That is a beautiful bridge, and I'm sure they'll try and pay homage to it in the new design. However, I would hope that the designers will take into consideration, as you say, how many time the city has flip-flopped on having the LRT included in the new crossing. Having structural considerations in place beforehand is a lot less costly than adding them later on. Take it from someone in a province that is suffering from trying to catch up on decades of underfunding of infrastructure.

RIP Ralph Klein.

It's crazy that that doesn't seem to happen much anymore. A proposal was in place in 1911 to build as former mayor Horatio Hocken called it a Tube network for the city of Toronto. He was a key player in the design of the Prince Edward Viaduct that had a subway crossing roughed in to it's design.

This is an image taken in 1915 during construction some 50 years before the Bloor line opened.
Source:https://www.toronto.ca

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 3:18 PM

Quote:

RIP Ralph Klein.
Ralph Klein?

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:05 PM
BANNED

How is an Ex-sh@tkicker town mayor related to Ottawa?

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Ralph Klein?
Klein's drive to rid Alberta of debt add to the infrastructure debt. Don't spend money, you can pay off your debt.

One good thing did happen though. When they built the Henday River crossing in the west end. the structure was built to accept extra lanes at a future date. (Now). So all they have to do is drop on a couple of girders and put the deck on.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLac View Post
How is an Ex-sh@tkicker town mayor related to Ottawa?
Not for Ottawa. He was the Mayor of Calgary dunging the 80s. Might be a shout-out to him for his work on the C-Train, including the roughed-in tunnel under the Calgary Municipal Building for the future Red Line subway.

He seems to have had a commendable progressive record as Mayor of Calgary. Not so much as premier from what I gather.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 7:10 PM

New Champlain Bridge

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="fr"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Workers putting on the finishing touches of the new Champlain Bridge. It will be open to Montreal-bound traffic on June 24, fully open to cars on July 1. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/mtltraffic?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#mtltraffic</a> <a href="https://t.co/badS0U8PAu">pic.twitter.com/badS0U8PAu</a></p>&mdash; Jason Magder (@JasonMagder) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonMagder/status/1140640770006933504?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">17 juin 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jason Magder

‏Workers putting on the finishing touches of the new Champlain Bridge. It will be open to Montreal-bound traffic on June 24, fully open to cars on July 1. #mtltraffic.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 7:45 PM
Community Guy

The D.B. Menzies, historic High Level and brand new Walterdale.

https://twitter.com/Wherezjeff/statu...31517654589440
@Wherezjeff

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 9:25 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Not for Ottawa. He was the Mayor of Calgary dunging the 80s. Might be a shout-out to him for his work on the C-Train, including the roughed-in tunnel under the Calgary Municipal Building for the future Red Line subway.

He seems to have had a commendable progressive record as Mayor of Calgary. Not so much as premier from what I gather.
Does no one know he was Premier of Alberta? I figured he'd be more well-known for that. Having given $400 to every person in the province because of our "surplus" that he "created". His tenure as premier has caused an a province-wide infrastructure deficit that will take decades to catch up on.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 9:31 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
The D.B. Menzies, historic High Level and brand new Walterdale.

https://twitter.com/Wherezjeff/statu...31517654589440
@Wherezjeff
With that cruise ship in the middle of the river, I almost thought this was Danube.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Does no one know he was Premier of Alberta? I figured he'd be more well-known for that. Having given $400 to every person in the province because of our "surplus" that he "created". His tenure as premier has caused an a province-wide infrastructure deficit that will take decades to catch up on.
I knew he was premier of Alberta and went all Conservative with countless cuts. Check the last sentence of my post.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 12:50 PM

New pedestrian bridge crossing the canal, connecting the Glebe with Old Ottawa South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
It's been bothering me as well.
Someone on twitter said it's because one of the NIMBYs threatened to sue for ruining their view, so they had to compromise. I can't even

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 12:10 AM

Samuel-De Champlain, Montreal

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzBtepzBtF8/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada