HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 2:19 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Random observation, but I was in the downtown Nordstrom last summer buying pants, and it seemed most shoppers were East Asian. Or maybe Chinese Canadians really like shopping, who knows.

There's a large young Chinese population in central Toronto that are (mostly) enrolled in the universities and seem to have a large amount of disposable income. Plus when their families visit they like to shop. A lot. Certain times of year it's actually quite noticeable in high end shopping areas.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
I'll add on another common misconception, often repeated on this forum:
"Phoenix is a retiree city." Or "The high population growth of Phoenix is due to old people flocking their in droves."

Both are false.

Phoenix is not a retiree city. It's median age is far lower than the U.S. and cities like New York.
True for Phoenix proper, although Arizona and Phoenix-metro growth numbers are influenced by retirees. I believe Scottsdale is like 20% 65+, the highest 65+ percentage of any bigger city in the country, and places like Surprise, Lake Havasu, Prescott etc. are 20+% retirees.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
There's a large young Chinese population in central Toronto that are (mostly) enrolled in the universities and seem to have a large amount of disposable income. Plus when their families visit they like to shop. A lot. Certain times of year it's actually quite noticeable in high end shopping areas.
I wouldn't be surprised if East Asians made up the majority (or close to it) of customers at the high-end fashion retailers now. It's no an uncommon sight when I'm in Yorkville to see a 20 year old looking kid roll up to the valet parking at Holt Renfrew in a brand new Ferrari.

I was looking at a development site in downtown Oakville and got talking to the owner of the women's fashion store there. He said in his experience, wealthy multi-generation "WASPy" Canadians in the GTA spend disproportionately less on high-end fashion than almost anywhere else he's seen. The hierarchy goes: house > cottage in Muskoka > maybe a nice car > vacations >>>>> Louis Vuitton/Gucci handbags.

On the other hand, fashion as a status symbol is huge in the Chinese culture here.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 4:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Depending on who you talk to, Montreal is either way more "French" than it actually is in reality or way more "English" than it actually is in reality.

There is often a political subtext to which of these images your interlocutor chooses to put forward.

(The issues are a bit different but there is a similar thing going on with Ottawa, Canada's capital city.)

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
True for Phoenix proper, although Arizona and Phoenix-metro growth numbers are influenced by retirees. I believe Scottsdale is like 20% 65+, the highest 65+ percentage of any bigger city in the country, and places like Surprise, Lake Havasu, Prescott etc. are 20+% retirees.
In 2017, the median age of all people in Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ was 36.7. Native-born citizens, with a median age of 35, were generally younger than than foreign-born citizens, with a median age of 44. the US median age is 37.4 The median age of all people in Arizona was 37.7

You'd think a retiree mecca that was dependent on old people retiring would have a medium age much higher.

And we should keep in mind relative to most other countries outside of Africa/SA median ages world wide are generally higher and going up faster than in the USA

Prescott is a small city that is home to many Phoenix based retirees and second homes for wealthy folks. Id hardly call that indicative.

Higher ages are common in any high wealth suburbs. Most people take several decades to build that kind of wealth.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 7:15 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
How are Hispanic neighborhoods doing in Chicago btw? Are they poor, middle-class, upper-class and how is the crime situation in predominately Hispanic areas?
most are in pretty good shape. not hyper-polished lincoln park type of shape, but very functionally urban with thriving commercial streets.

that's one of the biggest differences between predominately latino hoods and predominately black ones. latino areas have way better and way more intact commercial streets. this is what makes a handful of them (avondale, logan, humboldt, pilsen) so enticing to gentrifiers. those mostly intact, active retail streets make a neighborhood billions of times more appealing than the often dilapidated or out-right bombed-out retail streets in many of the city's black neighborhoods.

most latino areas do have issues with gang violence (latin kings, maniac latin disciples, spanish cobras, etc.) but not to the same degree as the worst of the city's black ghettos. this is another thing that makes them more appealing to gentrifiers.

typical latino neighborhood commercial streets in chicago:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8578...thumbfov%3D100

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8443...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9029...thumbfov%3D100

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9683...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0102...7i16384!8i8192

Last edited by Steely Dan; May 23, 2019 at 7:34 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
While this may be a factor, I don't think (my admittedly subjective) perceptions are due to Chinatown. I'm talking about the "professional class" downtown, like you see in the tunnels, office towers, condos and transit. Or shopping/dining. There's a very visible East Asian population, similar to Bay Area, while the South Asian population seems less obvious.

Random observation, but I was in the downtown Nordstrom last summer buying pants, and it seemed most shoppers were East Asian. Or maybe Chinese Canadians really like shopping, who knows.

It might also be that U.S. South Asians skew higher income than Canadian South Asians, so they're more represented (relative to population) in professional settings.
Well, Toronto has two Chinatowns which do add a fair bit to the core's Chinese population. The second one on Gerrard St east of Broadview has a Chinese population that's pretty similar to the Spadina/Dundas one at this point, but it's a bit more out of the way so it doesn't cater to tourists as much. They probably help draw in more East Asians from more outlying areas of the city too. There's also a Koreatown on Bloor W and a new Korean/Japanese cluster emerging at Bay and Dundas. Meanwhile there isn't really a "Little India" in Downtown Toronto.

Chinese are also probably more strongly represented among wealthy international students, tourists and wealthy permanent residents.

But among downtown professional workers, in my experience, it's been a pretty even split.

The central electoral districts by demographics, there contain a little over 100,000 people apiece. B, C and E are the districts that contain the Chinatowns but aside from those you can see it's pretty equal.

A) Toronto Centre
White: 55.3%
Chinese: 11.1%
South Asian: 11.8%
Other: 21.8%

B) Spadina-Fort York
White: 57.2%
Chinese: 14.8%
South Asian: 8.3%
Other: 19.7%

C) University-Rosedale
White: 67.3%
Chinese: 14.0%
South Asian: 4.5%
Other: 14.2%

D) Toronto-St. Paul's
White: 71.7%
Chinese: 4.5%
South Asian: 3.8%
Other: 20.0%

E) Toronto-Danforth
White: 67.2%
Chinese: 12.3%
South Asian: 5.4%
Other: 15.1%

F) Parkdale-High Park
White: 73.8%
Chinese: 3.5%
South Asian: 4.7%
Other: 18.0%

G) Davenport
White: 68.1%
Chinese: 5.9%
South Asian: 4.2%
Other: 21.8%

All in all though, the core is relatively white, quite similar to New York where the most close-in areas are majority white, like Manhattan south of Harlem and the most close-in parts of Queens and Brooklyn, and then outlying Brooklyn/Queens, northern Manhattan, the Bronx, and adjacent New Jersey has a lot more minorities.

I think the areas that are most likely to become ethnic enclaves are the ones with high housing availability at the right price point for the ethnic group to move into. In the US, that was often less desirable neighbourhoods with higher turn-over, which accelerated once they started experiencing white flight. In Toronto, you had a bit of that with the suburban highrises, but without as much of the "acceleration" since the income differences between the different ethnic groups and whites were smaller, so self-segregation of whites didn't lead to as much decline (also by the time Asian and Caribbean immigration to Canada began, the US wasn't experiencing as intense white flight either).

But the suburban highrises weren't enough, and enough of the immigrants were middle class that they wanted a lot of SFH areas to move into, so new SFH areas became ethnic enclaves, with the Chinese moving into Agincourt and Milliken, and later further into Markham and Richmond Hill, while Caribbean and South Asians went to Malvern, Rexdale and Malton and later Ajax and Brampton. Now that South Asians have become established in Brampton, and Chinese in Markham, and that those suburbs are particularly desirable to people from those ethnic groups who want to stay with their community, new subdivisions in those suburbs are often <5% white.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I find that minority enclaves in general tend to be exaggerated. As a local example, the GTA suburbs of Brampton and Markham are usually thought of as being overwhelmingly Indian and Chinese, respectively.

In reality though, Brampton is 44% South Asian and Markham 45% Chinese. They're the dominant groups to be sure, but still a long way from singularly defining the demographics. In contrast, Toronto is 48% white but is certainly not thought of as being a "white city".

Anything that deviates from the norm is just more likely to be noticed and whatever characteristic that is most exceptional is what people are going to run with.
Brampton and Markham are far from uniform though. They still have their older neighbourhoods built prior to large scale Asian immigration, and those neighbourhoods still have large white populations. Peel Village in Brampton is about 85% white, Heart Lake and Old Brampton are around 70%, Markham Village and Thornhill Village also around 70% white.

But when someone is looking to buy a house, the majority of homes available will be in new neighbourhoods, since the old areas have fairly low turnover. That low turnover keeps relocating white Canadians from moving into those areas just the same as Asian immigrants. And the new subdivisions are mostly 5-20% white, sometimes even less, only a few new urbanist type communities have more whites, so I don't think it's too surprising that they're perceived that way.

Ex

Census tract 5350576.59 (Egypt Dr. area, Brampton)

South Asian: 70.2%
Blacks: 12.2%
Whites: 3.2%
Other: 14.4%

Census tract 5350576.60 (Sir Issac Brook Public School area, Brampton)

South Asian: 74.0%
Blacks: 10.0%
Whites: 3.8%
Other: 12.2%

Census tract 5350403.09 (William Berczy & Castlemore, Markham)

Chinese: 81.3%
South Asian: 9.3%
White: 3.8%
Other: 5.6%

Census tract 5350401.20 (Ingram Dr., Markham, not as new as the other three)

Chinese: 61.3%
South Asian: 22.7%
White: 2.3%
Other: 13.7%

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if East Asians made up the majority (or close to it) of customers at the high-end fashion retailers now. It's no an uncommon sight when I'm in Yorkville to see a 20 year old looking kid roll up to the valet parking at Holt Renfrew in a brand new Ferrari.

I was looking at a development site in downtown Oakville and got talking to the owner of the women's fashion store there. He said in his experience, wealthy multi-generation "WASPy" Canadians in the GTA spend disproportionately less on high-end fashion than almost anywhere else he's seen. The hierarchy goes: house > cottage in Muskoka > maybe a nice car > vacations >>>>> Louis Vuitton/Gucci handbags.

On the other hand, fashion as a status symbol is huge in the Chinese culture here.
Yeah, I'd probably agree with that. And the Chinese haven't really bought into the idea of owning a cottage, or a boat, or ski vacations. I wonder if the independent shops in downtown Oakville will get much business from the Chinese moving into the neighbourhood or if the Chinese are only interested in the big high end brands.

I think a lot of them (the tourists especially) are also shopping on behalf of people back home. You see that a lot in Europe too.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 1:23 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Washington, dc (city), 2010. the middle third of the city is nicely integrated, while the west and eastern thirds are very differentiated.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 1:29 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
That's what I mean by being exceptional though - a place that's 45% South Asian is an exception while a place that's 45% white isn't (or in it's case it's exceptional for being non-majority white); even though the effect is that either place has a similarly-sized dominant but not majority racial demographic.

They skew suburban, as do most non-white groups, but no moreso than East Asians. I would certainly say it's a very visible demographic in just about any part of the city though.

looking at this map, it makes total sense that visitors see toronto as a very white city. the entire central part of the city being white, and the amalgamated suburbs, asian.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
most are in pretty good shape. not hyper-polished lincoln park type of shape, but very functionally urban with thriving commercial streets.

that's one of the biggest differences between predominately latino hoods and predominately black ones. latino areas have way better and way more intact commercial streets. this is what makes a handful of them (avondale, logan, humboldt, pilsen) so enticing to gentrifiers. those mostly intact, active retail streets make a neighborhood billions of times more appealing than the often dilapidated or out-right bombed-out retail streets in many of the city's black neighborhoods.

most latino areas do have issues with gang violence (latin kings, maniac latin disciples, spanish cobras, etc.) but not to the same degree as the worst of the city's black ghettos. this is another thing that makes them more appealing to gentrifiers.

typical latino neighborhood commercial streets in chicago:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8578...thumbfov%3D100

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8443...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9029...thumbfov%3D100

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9683...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0102...7i16384!8i8192
Thanks for the reply. Overall those streetviews don't look bad at all. In fact, if I can't live in a brand new SW DC type neighborhood, I prefer something like those. As the SF thread has shown, I don't hipster or pretentious food establishments, rather I prefer cheap stores and cheap food.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 5:40 AM
if I sang out of tune

When tourists come to London many expect a White city, whereas many European tourists expect an ethnic one. The reality is in between the two of course, with the largest new minorities being 'White', such as the West Europeans (predominantly EU) + East Europeans (predominantly EU expansion) + Middle Easterners + Latinos, whilst native White Britons are a minority themselves, albeit the largest one.

What surprises both tourists is the levels of mixing - it even surprises Londoners themselves that many famous ethnic neighbourhoods, such as Brixton, Peckham, Bangla Town or Southall are majority mixed/ White. Although the streets may be populated by shoppers and workers catering to the community focus, residentially they don't all live there. In short there are no singularly racial ghettoes.

London's ethnic mix: Green=White, blue=Other, purple=Mixed (these three look very similar in colour), red=Black, yellow=Asian:

https://supermouse.blog/2016/06/06/w...-biggest-city/

Close-up of 4 of the most ethnic majority areas shows it's still very mixed (Hackney and Tower Hamlets in north London, Peckham and Brixton in South London). And bear in mind each colour represents a huge gamut of different communities, not just one. For example the green can represent a Brazilian, Turk, Iraqi, Australian or Russian, the red a Jamaican, Colombian, Ethiopian or Ugandan, the yellow an Iraqi (again), Indian, Japanese or Filipino.

https://supermouse.blog/2016/06/06/w...-biggest-city/

Last edited by muppet; May 24, 2019 at 6:33 AM.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 12:23 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

st. louis city white population is increasing proportionately so rapidly (compared to a crashing black population) that it will likely be a plurality at 2020. i think people presume st. louis is more like detroit with respect to white flight as a proportion of the population.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
st. louis city white population is increasing proportionately so rapidly (compared to a crashing black population) that it will likely be a plurality at 2020. i think people presume st. louis is more like detroit with respect to white flight as a proportion of the population.
I'm pretty sure St. Louis has a significantly higher black share than Detroit; it's just that St. Louis has a greater share in the North County suburbs. Detroit, until very recently, had few blacks outside the city proper.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 3:08 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ wikipedia says that detroit's MSA in 22.8% black, while st. louis' MSA is 18.0% black.

but because it's from wikpedia, i'm not positive that's 100% apples-to-apples.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
I would say that Detroit is the outlier. St. Louis is very much in line with Cleveland, demographically speaking. OTOH, very few central cities in the U.S. are more than 60% African American (almost none above 80%), and there is no other city in America that was ever above 1 million in population AND over 60% black at the same time. I think people are surprised that Detroit city is so overwhelmingly black.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I would say that Detroit is the outlier. St. Louis is very much in line with Cleveland, demographically speaking. OTOH, very few central cities in the U.S. are more than 60% African American (almost none above 80%), and there is no other city in America that was ever above 1 million in population AND over 60% black at the same time. I think people are surprised that Detroit city is so overwhelmingly black.
I don't know how accurate this 80% figure is anymore and either way I don't see it lasting long.

Basically all the growth in the city has been white or non-black immigrants with some black families leaving for suburbia.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I don't know how accurate this 80% figure is anymore and either way I don't see it lasting long.

Basically all the growth in the city has been white or non-black immigrants with some black families leaving for suburbia.
Agree. If some of the white population growth estimates I've seen are true then the black share of population might be quite a bit under 75% on the 2020 census. I'm not really old enough to remember a Detroit that was less than 75% black, and I'm well into my 30s.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 5:16 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
looking at this map, it makes total sense that visitors see toronto as a very white city. the entire central part of the city being white, and the amalgamated suburbs, asian.

Do visitors see Toronto as a "very white city"? I've only ever heard the opposite, which would make sense given that the residents of the downtown areas that they're likely to visit are fairly diverse, plus being that it's a city centre it draws from the (very diverse) regional population. Overall, Inner Toronto is about as white as Manhattan.

The few parts that are overwhelmingly white are pre-war, inner-ish but not-quite-core neighbourhoods like the Kingsway, Beaches, and Leaside, which don't otherwise see too many visitors.

In general though, while there are some pretty clear patterns of segregation it's still a bit different from most US cities. There isn't so much a "white" half of the city and a "non-white" half as there are mixed areas where white people live and mixed areas where white people generally don't live. I think that map also exaggerates dominant groups though - just from looking at it you wouldn't get the impression that Scarborough is still 25% white, for example.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions