HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 8:42 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I've seen a lot of general cruise ship tourists and they tend to be extremely obese, and I get uncomfortable by being surrounded by so many people who are cavalier towards their health/make poor lifestyle choices. I'd also be nervous about food safety/preparation. Seems like huge amounts of people get sick on these ships every other year.
I don't know about the other cruises, but on Disney the staff was meticulous about making each and every passenger use a disinfecting hand wipe prior to every meal, as well as making them do so when reboarding from port of call.

I am happy they did that.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 4:51 AM

Quote:
I've seen a lot of general cruise ship tourists and they tend to be extremely obese, and I get uncomfortable by being surrounded by so many people who are cavalier towards their health/make poor lifestyle choices. I'd also be nervous about food safety/preparation. Seems like huge amounts of people get sick on these ships every other year.
This is classic SSP. Do you people even read aloud what you write? You are uncomfortable around fat people and are extremely judgmental about someone's 'lifestyle choices.' How do fat people make you uncomfortable? Why do their personal choices affect you so much?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
This is classic SSP. Do you people even read aloud what you write? You are uncomfortable around fat people and are extremely judgmental about someone's 'lifestyle choices.' How do fat people make you uncomfortable? Why do their personal choices affect you so much?
Maybe because I surround myself with people who are highly active, value healthy eating/nutrition, and don't want to die prematurely of diseases as a result of being morbidly obese? I've lived in Seattle, San Diego, and SF you don't see the volume of unhealthy people that you do in places like much of rural and Middle America. Let's not beat around the bush here, this is one of the biggest issues affecting Americans today and it shouldn't be just be accepted.

Last edited by destroycreate; Jun 19, 2018 at 5:53 AM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 5:37 AM

Middle America LOL

Get over yourself.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
I don’t think that obesity should be normalized in an attempt at political correctness. It’s both unhealthy and aesthetically unpleasant. Obesity is a huge problem in America, objectively speaking, and one shouldn’t pretend otherwise.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I don't know about the other cruises, but on Disney the staff was meticulous about making each and every passenger use a disinfecting hand wipe prior to every meal, as well as making them do so when reboarding from port of call.

I am happy they did that.
That sounds horrible and reinforces my negative view of cruises. Just wash your damn hands, with soap and water. I’m not eating anything after touching a hand wipe or that Purel stuff.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 12:37 PM

Is it any wonder Mickey Mouse has been wearing white gloves for all these years?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 12:57 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
That sounds horrible and reinforces my negative view of cruises. Just wash your damn hands, with soap and water. I’m not eating anything after touching a hand wipe or that Purel stuff.
If it makes you feel any better, Royal Caribbean has staff stationed at the entrances to the cafe, next to a line of sinks and makes sure everyone coming in washes their hands with soap and water. In the dining room though, they just assume you're cultured enough to have already washed your hands -- or had your servants wash them for you.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 1:19 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Because you are confined to a relatively small space for a week with 4,000-5,000 other people.

Quote:
I have been on a Disney cruise as well and the clientele is nothing like a normal cruise. The cost is like twice a normal cruise or even more (companies like Royal Caribbean always run all kinds of discounts that make them dirt cheap). Disney cruises are expensive, much smaller than the big lines and are avoided by the drunken 20-30 year old crowd.
Royal isn't that cheap. We paid about $3,500 last year.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 2:13 PM

And you need earplugs because of all those screaming kids high on sugar.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Drunken 20 somethings or an abundance of bratty children. I can't figure out what'd be worse...
youre assuming theres a difference between the emotional intelligence of the two

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions