HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 6:13 PM

that was so nice there i realy mis that all

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 7:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

very moving pictures. I greatly lament the loss of the twins, but disagree entirely with the idea of rebuilding them as they were before.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 2:54 AM

Last edited by Kamatzu; Oct 22, 2008 at 1:08 AM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 5:22 AM

Looking at these wonderful photos of these beautiful buildings stirs up some fairly potent emotions. I am sick to my stomach that those animals destroyed our towers and absolutely furious. I hope they are suffering for their act right now.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 5:35 AM
Crane Goddess

Me too..Me too. I always wanted to walk through those beautiful Twin Tower's lobbies- preferably while wearing the most voluminous cloak I owned. It would have been pretty cool, walking through a space that looked like some space-age cathedral, with my cloak flowing behind me-a striking sight in a sea of suits. After all- what is a space-age cathedral without a priestess among its swarm of acolytes?

Those towers inspired so many people in so many ways during their lives. Few structures can say the same thing.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 5:40 AM

It is an absolute travesty that these structures will not be rebuilt exactly as they were originally constructed.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 5:23 PM
Crane Goddess

Can I get a "Hell yeah!" for that?
This whole rebuilding train wreck should never have happened. It's been a farce from day one.

I can't remember who wrote this, but somebody posted it on a message board I used to hang out on, it's kind of a rebuilding- themed rewrite of "tubthumping" by chumbawumba.

They got knocked down!
Now we're afraid of them!
We're forever gonna keep them down...
They blocked the sun!
And took some streets away!
And inconvenienced our walks downtown!
Theyre design looked dumb!
But now we'll get our way!
Let's have some urban planning fun!

We hated them anyway....
And now that theyve gone away....

We want a mega-park
And no office space
All we care about
Are SM and a gov'ner's race!

L......M.D.C.
Is a disgrace
To N. Y. C.

It was intended to be a humorous parody, but it sums up the mess that the rebuilding has been quite well.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 8:13 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

I still maintain to this day that the original WTC was among the most amazing and beautiful structures man has ever or will ever build. Their sheer size, simplicity and seemingly impenetrable power inspired me when I first saw them in an encyclopaedia at the age of 4. I dreamt of visiting them when I grew up and went to NYC. The day they fell, not only was it the the darkest day in our history but for me it was a future lost, something I would never get to see for myself and could never get back, even though it wasn't really mine.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 8:58 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

WOW it took me 45 minutes to go through the whole thread and look at everything. Some of it is still very hard to look at, esp. the ones Kon113 put up. I get sick to the stomach every time I see pics from 9/11. I had an uncle in the marriot that day, and he had to drive a rental all the way from NYC to SLC because there was no flying allowed. He would have been on the 73rd level of the North Tower, but he and his client were running late. It saved his life.
I can't believe that 7-1/2 years later, those responsible have yet to recieve justice and the WTC isn't rebuilt yet. It's madness.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 3:36 PM
I'm cheap

Wow... looking at the pictures of the devistation really sent shivers to me.

Anyway, I'm going to tell a little story about 9/11, I know it's off topic but blah blah blah.
So, I was 15 when it happened and in grade 9. Now, as you know, I'm Canadian. We had TV's throught the school so they were playing it over and over again. There were a whole bunch of students yelling and dancing "DEATH TO AMERICA!" and I yelled at them "THOUSANDS OF INNOCENT PEOPLE HAVE JUST DIED!" and they all stopped. It was a tragedy that should never of happened, and it should never happen again. Those people did not deserve to die.

To me, the towers were a symbol of the USA, just like the Statue of Liberty, Mount Rushmore, the Golden Gate Bridge, etc. To me at the time weren't special, nothing more than a couple of boxes. Still today I don't find that they were beautiful, but because of what happened, they will always be there to remind us what happened, what war and greed can do. Right now, they are more powerful then when they stood.

Thanks for showing all the pictures. They were amazing!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 7:36 PM

I guess sometimes you cant really appreciate something until its lost.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 5:00 AM
Crane Goddess

In regards to the Twin Towers being more powerful now that they're gone, why am I getting an image of them quoting a sith lord from "The Force Unleashed"?

"I am more powerful in death than I ever was in life!"

I think it was Darth Desolous who said that.
Even the critic Paul Goldberger, who hardly had a kind word for them has since called them the first Skyscraper Martyrs.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 7:59 PM
Jeepus Africanus

This thread is definitely bittersweet.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 2:21 AM

Here's the rarely mentioned parking space below 2WTC. Anyone know anything about it? Was it for an event?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 4:57 PM
Ω

Quote:
It looks like someone used the clone tool in photoshop a bit excessively on the left side of this photo. I knew it looked a little weird a while back.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 4:53 PM
Charismatic Stallion

I have some film pictures from like, 1995 when I still lived in Brooklyn. If I stood on the top of my 3 story brownstone in Parks Slope, it was amazing. The Twins really, truly dominated the skyline. From that distance all you could make out was the Twins...

40 Wall, Woolworth, 70 Pine, One Chase Manhattan Plaza... They were tiny little indistinguishable boxes, but the Twins, from that distance they were all you could see and recognize...

I miss the towers, as well as middle school (~1995-1998), High School (~1998-2002), living with Mom and Dad back then, and going up to the observatory of the WTC.

I still can't believe that they're gone. Every day I wake up and I hope that it was all a bad dream, that they're still there.

Sorry, no pics, just nostalgia...

Also: Bump.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 11:03 PM
New Yorker for life

Philippe Petite returns...
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...lk-in-midtown/

Petit to Take a High-Wire Walk in Midtown

By Corey Kilgannon
April 13, 2009

Quote:
The most intriguing element of Philippe Petit’s daring wire walk between the twin towers of the World Trade Center in 1974 was its secrecy.

The stealth preparations are what made the walk such a compelling subject in “Man on Wire,” the documentary about the walk that won the Oscar for best documentary. Perhaps you will remember Mr. Petit balanced the Oscar statue on his nose onstage — also unscripted and unannounced!

Well, thanks to City Room, Mr. Petit’s next walk will not be a surprise. Here’s the spoiler: Mr. Petit says he will perform a high-wire walk this fall in Midtown Manhattan. It will be high, it will be long, and it will be outdoors in a very recognizable location that he does not want revealed quite yet — discussions are not final.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 12:46 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Wow...that is so sad.

I remember we were planning to go up the WTC when my family last went in August 2001 (!) but decided against...We got some pretty good pics, too...wonder where they went?

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 6:52 PM

Was the height of the towers (1.368 and 1.362 feet high) measured from the street level or from the plaza level?
Anyway, does somebody know what was the total (actual) height of each tower itself (I mean, from the bedrock)?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 5:30 AM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynottaller View Post
Was the height of the towers (1.368 and 1.362 feet high) measured from the street level or from the plaza level?
Anyway, does somebody know what was the total (actual) height of each tower itself (I mean, from the bedrock)?

Street level, and since the bedrock was about 70 feet down, 1,458 and 1,452 feet respectively.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture