HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 4:37 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
Overruns happen, but in the case of Seattle that's an anomaly. It's not often an arena goes over budget that high. $575 Million is plenty enough to build a great arena.
Aren't they also retroing an old building? There are lots of 'hidden' costs in an endeavour like that.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 6:34 PM

They are, and yes, that sort of complicates things imo. Easier to do a rip and tear and then start from scratch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Aren't they also retroing an old building? There are lots of 'hidden' costs in an endeavour like that.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 6:36 PM

Me too. There has been a two year consultation period, at this point there's nothing to gain by hashing it over. All sides have had a reset period, and the new deal looks palatable, time to move on and get it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
If CSEC representatives had spent the last few months threatening to leave and calling Calgarians stupid if they didn't take a one sided deal like they did last time, my opinion would be different and I'm sure so would many others. Doing it all behind closed doors and coming out with a balanced deal was much more likely to be successful.

I'm glad there is virtually no consultation period either. It's pointless, all that needs to be said has been said and opening up a debate will just lead to needless heat.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 11:51 PM
BANNED

Majority of public feedback on Calgary's arena deal was negative: analysis
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...ative-analysis
Quote:
“The fact that the Flames made the timeline so tight that it disallowed for meaningful public consultation shows an utter disdain for democratic norms and should have been an absolute non-starter,” read one submission from July 25.

“Do not let (Calgary Sport and Entertainment Corp.) bully you into spending money that could desperately be used elsewhere,” wrote one respondent on July 24.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 1:07 AM
No man's land

Majority of public feedback is negative: analysis

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Majority of public feedback on Calgary's arena deal was negative: analysis
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...ative-analysis
Chalk this up in the useless new column. 55% negative feedback on public spending is a non story, if there's a story here, it's that it's lower than expected. People who are against something are more likely to complain, so a paltry 55% does not show well, it instead reinforces that the city made the right decision.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg66 View Post
Chalk this up in the useless new column. 55% negative feedback on public spending is a non story, if there's a story here, it's that it's lower than expected. People who are against something are more likely to complain, so a paltry 55% does not show well, it instead reinforces that the city made the right decision.
The city is getting a nice injection of funding from CSEC. $275 million plus all of the development that will result from the arena being the core focus of the entertainment district. What other city in Canada has had this much money invested into a sports facility by the private sector?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Yeah, how does this compare to any other project? Do people turn up to say how much they love the new condo tower going up next to them?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
What other city in Canada has had this much money invested into a sports facility by the private sector?
Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver? (ok, Vancouver may not be quite as much as $275 million in 2019 dollars, but it's awfully close)

(I'm not arguing that Calgary is "the same" as these 3 cities in a way that is relevant to this discussion, but you asked "what other city in Canada"....)

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 1:00 AM

Quote:
55% negative feedback on public spending is a non story, if there's a story here, it's that it's lower than expected.
I'd have to agree, certainly with the bolded part.

I'm far more concerned with the "7 days or else" part of the deal than the deal itself. I'm not convinced everyone on city council fully understood what they voted on, which is ridiculous for an investment of this magnitude.

Seems like many of the 55% are in the same boat, according to the article. Maybe if the decision-making period was longer, a good chunk of the opposition would fizzle away. Or maybe increased scrutiny would have revealed details that deserved honest concern. Guess we'll never find out.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossedTheTracks View Post
Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver? (ok, Vancouver may not be quite as much as $275 million in 2019 dollars, but it's awfully close)

(I'm not arguing that Calgary is "the same" as these 3 cities in a way that is relevant to this discussion, but you asked "what other city in Canada"....)
What happened 20+ years ago isn't necessarily relevant to today. I don't see any ownership group in Canada spending ~$600 million to build a new arena when they know they can get governments to help them.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 4:07 PM

Quote:

Toronto was the only success. The others sold their teams and stadiums at a loss within a few years due to precarious finances. Vancouver couldn't succeed even with it being busy with both NBA and NHL tenants.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 9:48 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Or maybe increased scrutiny would have revealed details that deserved honest concern. Guess we'll never find out.
Well that part we will find out eventually..

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 2:45 AM

That didn’t take long, new arena already over budget and shrouded in “Confidentiality “. Nenshi and his departing cabal of alderman are leaving quite a legacy for the next mayor and council!

Work on Calgary’s new arena is on pause to try to resolve a budget “difference,” according to the Calgary Municipal Land Corp. CMLC president Kate Thompson said in a statement Wednesday that due to a “difference in the current budget estimate and the program requirements for the facility,” there’s a joint agreement to put the project team on hold to resolve the issues.

This week’s arena news follows a “capital projects update” council received behind closed doors Tuesday evening. When the meeting resumed in public, council voted 9-5 to adopt three confidential recommendations and not to disclose the discussions.

Farkas said at the time that the discussion was “the most stunning thing I’ve seen in my entire time as a councillor.” Nenshi said that statement was “rather dramatic,” but he wasn’t able to give any details about what council talked about.

https://www.calgarysun.com/news/loca...f-1924b2ab63e3

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 4:04 AM
Community Guy

Par for the course folks...

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 5:09 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Farkas is such a clown

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 12:16 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Farkas is such a clown
It's Farkass.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 3:03 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Any new buzz since the last deal fell apart? Or since Bettman was trapped in that elevator last week? Go Flames, btw!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 1:30 AM
Community Guy

Calgary 'event centre':

City of Calgary, Flames start negotiating again on a new arena
Negotiations will begin again for a new sports, arts and entertainment building after a deal agreed upon in 2019 collapsed late last year.

Donna Spencer, The Canadian Press

https://www.rmotoday.com/beyond-loca...campaign=Email

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Calgary 'event centre':

City of Calgary, Flames start negotiating again on a new arena
Negotiations will begin again for a new sports, arts and entertainment building after a deal agreed upon in 2019 collapsed late last year.

Donna Spencer, The Canadian Press

https://www.rmotoday.com/beyond-loca...campaign=Email
And the province may kick in money?
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...-events-centre

Man, I don't like anyones action in this hole deal, the city, the Flames or the province.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates